Good use of Dev time? Personas vs. real improvements!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, Oct 12, 2023.

1. uberkingkong Augur

Omens of War 2004-05
    Township Rebellion Yes2004-10-262005-01-292005-04-24
    11 months to beat T3
    Crimson Tempest Yes2004-11-012005-03-142005-07-21
    Triton Yes2004-10-282005-02-012005-07-25
    13 months to beat T3

functioning, sure its not making raids easier?
    I'm sure OoW T3 those raids were functioning fine.
    13 months to beat. 11 months to beat it.
    beta is only 2 months, you'd still have 7 months when it went live until you actually beat it.

EQ past 5 years year after year
    T3 beaten day 1.

functioning? yeah ok
    making easier? making sure raids are participation trophies. thats more believable.

figured it out in beta, 2 months, so day 1 beaten. compared to,
    Took 11 - 13 months back then.
    Game was top 10 back then

Game is 49/140 right now. EQ hasn't made the playoffs in a long time.

If the raids still challenging like they were back in the days, we'd see more of a playerbase.
    A lot of those raid guilds are gone now, left because raids started into participation trophies.
    They didn't leave during OoW timeframe.

WoW, FFXIV, ESO, GW2, list goes on.
    its easy/casual casual content. can be soloed
    raids challenging
    top 20 ranking

EQ
    its challenging casual content, need a group/very good box
    raids, participation trophy jokes, beaten day 1, figured out in beta quickly, made easier and easier.
    49/140 ranking

At end of day,
    is dev time personas good? no thats timesink. Whose gonna do it? raiders that beaten raids got all the trophies from the partipation trophy raids now looking for timesinks.

Dev time making raids easier good time spent, nope that is bad time spent too.

Wheres the roleplaying aspect, wheres the modernization stuff. Wheres that 64 bit now you can nice things at?
    Fishing system garbage compared to other games
    Mount system garbage compared to other games
    Movement system garbage compared to other games

no keeping up. movement system same stuff that they used in 1999.
    run and jump see that delay, yeah thats garbage in 2023.

Dev's time spent making raids easier year after year for the past 5 years hasn't done modernization, make the core gameplay smoother.

/follow garbage
    AE, theres no red outline or anything of showing the AE area like in modern games
    1999 core gameplay garbage in 2023.

Lets work on something other than what really needs to be worked on, lets do personas. lets make raids easier.

just watch this

EQ doesn't have a lot of that stuff, EQ is outdated
    Which is why other games raids and what not, more fun, more challenging, more enjoyable. Top 20 ranking.
    Dev time spent past 5 years year after year, pretty far behind now. Rather have devs work on EQ3 catching up EQ than breaking the vision the core of this game, EQ1.
    EQ 1999 game, PS1 era game.
    Not PS2 era like EQ2, and WoW. Making EQ2 was a good move, WoW was just too perfect. Like Grand Theft Auto, you don't see much competition for that, its just too perfect.

MMORPG lifespans, do they need to be like 20+ years ongoing. Or make a new version every 8 or so years?

People probably use EQ EQ2 use case.
    bad use case
    EQ was decent, then it made EQ2 and collapsed
    Collapse was due to a perfect game being released.
    moral of that story people think is MMORPG just stick to the core, don't make a new version

OR

A good use case
    GW1 to GW2 after 8 or so years
    The Guild Wars series is doing better than the EQ series.
    moral of the story, new version was a good idea GW1 was becoming outdated

You can use whatever terminology you want but GW1 you'd see 50+ people in towns so I'm considering MMORPG.
    Just like how some games, raids are 10 people, other games its 54+.
    Some games 54+ it's called a meta event. Other games don't even meta events.
    EQ doesn't have meta events, if your going off that limited mindset terminology, EQ isn't an MMORPG anymore because it doesn't have meta events. Doesn't have a living story.

EQ a long list, very long list of
    - don't have it

EQ 30 expansions, and a very long list of don't have that thing other MMORPGs have.
    =
    outdated

EQ have a wardrobe like every other MMORPG
    oooh outdated
    no wardrobe?

very long list of don't haves
    =
    time for new version of the game

GW3 I'm seeing that in the future soon like EQ3.
    Time will tell of the outcomes.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am sure guilds are not going to continue to beat T3 raids in the previous expansion when they can get better gear in the T1/T2 raids of the current expansion. What may have worked almost 20 years ago no longer works today.
  3. uberkingkong Augur

Yep its been that way since what SoF?

A way to make T3 raids pleasing to raid community is limit things like the Circle of ..... to T3 raid drops
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=39610

Make nice ones gotta obtain in T3.
    Thats your badge of honor for beating the challenging content, unless they keep it participation trophy easy. Could careless what rewards they give to participation trophy easy content when it comes to end game raids, they just bloat up everyone has everything.

MMORPGs don't do well when everyone has everything they have to look at others to keep people entertained then.

GW2 pretty everyone can do anything, lvl 80, no AAs, gear isn't hard to get it. It's playing with others in meta events, doing the PvP, WvW, messing around with the guild.

FFXIV has GW2 has plus they have everyone doesn't have everything, plus they have challenging content.
  4. Burdi Augur

I pretty much did the same, bought the uber family pack on my main. For the other account will do basic.
    I am happy they are trying to keep people interested with AP.
    This looks like a fairly challenging feature to implement, so happy as well they push a little out of their comfort zone.
    This really was a good surprise to me.
    I am really looking forward switching to any persona i feel useful or up to play at s given moment.
    Schadenfreude and Micker99 like this.
  5. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Let me preface this by saying that I did not read beyond the initial and first few comments. I just woke up, and as a wise woman from I believe the St. Louis area once said, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

I'm looking forward to this new feature. I currently play on Oakwynd, on a single computer. I only have one other character that could be considered an alt, though he no longer gets played. I would love to have the ability to swap into any role we need. Not everyone is going to purchase the expansion, and thus will not be able to swap to a different class on the fly. Are we filling a group spot with a PUG shaman or similar level and ability? No problem, we could always use more DPS, let me swap over as a wizard. No waiting for me to run out to the group, no danger of dying along the way, and further wasting time.

I would gladly take the time to at least grind to a usable level, a wizard AND druid, just so my group can more easily get around when we are beginning a play session. Was there an unfortunate death? No problem, I leveled up a cleric persona, I can click them back to life. The only real drawback I can see, if it all works as intended upon launch, is bank space. If I have to maintain gear sets for multiple character types, plus consolidating tradeskills onto one character, I will run out of room fast.

But none of that addresses the concerns about long existing bugs, or any new bugs that pop up down the road. Yes, it's a problem, and yes, it needs to be addressed. If the solution is hiring more people that would be dedicated to bug squashing and maintenance of the game, then spend a little money and make it happen.
    Micker99 and Burdi like this.
  6. uberkingkong Augur

Kinda motivated me to do the family pack too.

I tried but you know. Old game old system old everything.

I click on family pack, sends me to error page, go figures.
    I look at their code, because mine as well do QA testing for them on their site.

selectMethodOfPayment!input.action is broke, fix it.

302 error,
    The HTTP error code 302 found indicates that a specific URL has been moved temporarily to a new location.

basically means it works but some url it sends you to isn't working.

You heard splunk? basically setup alerts, if > 5 get error page, notify yourselves.
    Probably losing money because people can't even buy and know what,
    "well I guess this means I shouldn't buy it then"
    you want customers thinking that?

Whose gonna fix this? Alternate persona dev's they gotta go do another task, tedious task when they could be coming close to a breakthrough.

It sends me to this page,
    ERROR!

My Account Balance:

We have encountered a system error while processing your request.
    Please try again later.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
    If you continue to encounter this error, please contact Customer Service at https://help.daybreakgames.com

I say this goes for everyone.
    There is another this text typing window I'm scrolled all the way to the right and the first letter of the newline is cutoff, probably because pasting that error page.

Anyways goes for everyone.
    Allakhazam people they need to step outta there comfort zone, update the website, modernize it. Those other sites, modernize it.
    It's 2023 step up.
    I see these ads its like coding class, they take a picture using blackbox AI or something, it builds website instantly, modernized.

AI AI AI AI
    use it

you stumped doing personas, upgrading allakhazam modernizing it.
    Hello AI, help me. I need to modernize this.
    Hello AI, help me. I need to get this persona working like this like that.

Step up people.
    John Carmack, he got Quake 1 on time, he made a gaming engine while on a tight deadline to get Quake 1 released.

They were on a game starts from scratch, never reuse any methods or what not in other games, because you plan being better time rather than using old but workable code again.

6 months a new game. Quake 1 took longer like a year but he made new game engine on top of it, you do that? don't think so.
    Complaining about time, John Carmack didn't complain he got it done.

You wanna be the best and stay there, sweat is gonna be necessary. If your not dreaming code, step up.

So many slackers, not just the dev's, the people who do the sites. Old sites, grandpa sites, you have 30+ years experience? Why is your site old then? Just brag about nothing, 1 year experience blow your sites outta the water just because they use modern tech, frameworks, libraries etc.

Goods maps? Thats it? Just barebones? Should be a guide, should have a listing of all the nameds in the zone, questline. Which NPC. You have all that room, a user can scroll out and move to the blank area where there should information.

But nah, not stepping up hard enough, you can do it, but you don't.
    Allakhazam can step up, but they don't.
    EQ Personas, "it might not come right away", step up.

John Carmack didn't excuses, got it done, on time, it set the standards of FPS games.
    If your not dreaming it you need to step it up. Its 2023, its high time. For everyone. New years is coming soon. What have you done?
    Step up.
  7. Burdi Augur

Look Uberkingkong you don’t have to buy anything.
    Please don’t make lame excuses or blame website.
    Because every one that wanted could.
    Doranur_Aleguzzler likes this.
  8. Randomized Augur

yeah don't engage...he doesn't understand. probably a 40yr old but never actually moved past the mentality of a 12 yr old. They don't understand how the world works. Just their little bubble where everything revolves around them.

I blame gentle parenting.

Just bought the family and friends pack no issues. Not sure what UKK is spouting off about
    Nennius likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I am seriously considering putting this in my signature. :D
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

And to repeat the obvious. /ignore does work.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

You sellin expac ticket for kr?
  12. Randomized Augur

Every expansion at different tiers has something sought out by someone. LoL it fits the ordinary expansion description
  13. uberkingkong Augur

expansion ticket ill sell 10 krono, and gonna sell these AP tradeables 2 kronos.

This expansion I think you can come out pretty good if you do the family pack.
    Some people are just loaded with kronos they aint doing anything with them but counting em.
  14. Randomized Augur

No you won't because you can't access the site to buy them remember LOL
    Cadira likes this.
  15. Jennre Band Leader

And you do what for the EQ community exactly? All I see is you complaining about everything all of the time, and asserting all of these responses that indicate you know everything and everyone else sucks. I liken it to mansplaining. (correctile dysfunction?)

Want better maps? Make them yourself. Don't trash talk Good for working hard to give people decent information on launch days and throughout the year. He has stepped up plenty hard over the years, and delivers a great product. He does this for FREE.

Want better fan-sites? Make one yourself. Don't bash Allahs, EQR, etc. for developing a ton of information for the community, so people have a guide to use on launch days and throughout the year. Most or all of this information is available for FREE.

Comparing the EQ engine systems to Quake is silly. The Quake engine is FAR less complex, and has far fewer lines of code. John Carmack was creating brand new tech from scratch, and I am 99% sure he had at least a tech demo of his engine before he started working on it for Quake. Likening the development time of the less complex engine of a first person shooter is like comparing apples to oranges for an RPG of this complexity.

If you can't respond to this with dignity, save yer breath.
    Yinla and Nennius like this.
  16. Jennre Band Leader

Edited to remove that original wall of text.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Randomized Augur

Love how he bashes all these things...yet continues to use them.

How do you know what Goods maps has in it unless you've downloaded them yourself?

What a joke lol
    Nennius likes this.
  18. uberkingkong Augur

I support the newplayers and push things for newplayers because everyone here, most of the people on the forums. Nothing but meme me

100% end game expansions, nothing but end game stuff.

Who else is pushing can we get 20% returner content in an expansion.
    How about 10.
    How about 5
    How about 1
    How about .5%.

What you guys doing?

Memememe

Meanwhile your raids are dirt easy. Beaten day 1.
    Then you ask for your timesinks in casual content.

Basically I want raid gear easy.
    I want things to in EQ, but not raids being harder and raids being timesink.

Timesinks in casual content, harder.

Not good for returning player with this 10 years year after year 100% end game mememe expansions.

Again,
    AP if someone convinced you this is for returners and returner will come back for this your wrong. This End Game player timesink.

Returning play lvl 75, they gonna be excited to swap personas when they haven't reach end game. They already tried alts. Its not like they haven't tried class yet.

Those people making alts, boom 120 done. It's not like they smelling roses and seeking returners to play with.
    Its sweaties in their end game timesinks, more more more. All in casual content.

Heaven forbid raid content has timesinks, and is challenging.

Casual player isn't asking for timesinks.
    Raid, end gamer, that player is looking timesinks.

Put your timesinks in the right areas.
    Common sense.

You have raiders with box toons their boxes are full raid gear in era.
    How about heroic AAs and what not, oooh too much of a timesink. Still working on that.

BUT
    full raid gear boxes.

Goes to show
    casual vs raid content.
    raids are toooooooooooooooooooo
    raids are tooooooooooooooooooooo
    raids are toooooooooooooooooooooo
    easy, no timesinks, boxes with full raid gear
    disgrace

returning/newplayer casual player.
    struggling hard

You can use that excuse
    "we figured it out in beta"
    yeah figured out an easy raid.

it took more than 3 months to figure out a raid.
    Some of these guilds today back then, they took 6 months or longer to figure them out.
    Beta is only 2 months.
    Then you beat day 1.
    So it was less than 2 months to beat all the raids.

Thats not something you did in 2005, it took longer than 2 months to figure them out.

Raids are toooooo
    raids are toooooo
    easy.
    period.

Again
    returners/casuals/newplayers
    struggling

because they do everything 100% for these raiders.
    theres no other people, raiders is it?
    because you drove them away.

No one is going to be around when there is 0% things for them.
    They play another game, simple.
    Its not just they goto a TLP, they goto a better game, game that actually caters to them

Other MMORPGs
    GW2
    0% raid expansion
    GW2 has content as challenging, more challenging than EQ raids.
    meta events, events that everyone can be in, its not the cool kids, everyone does them.
    100+ people events. Bigger than EQ raids, you can consider those raids guess what, more people in those than EQ's raids.
    FFXIV is not all about raids

EQ expansions 100% end game players. The sweaty version of the EQ end game players.
    Takes years to get comfortable and then maintaining that comfort end game players.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/i-returned-but-how-to-level.293821/
    how to level, let me tell you something, this person probably is not new to games, he knows how every modern MMORPG leveling is, but come to EQ its this vision changed everything game, gotta have the know you know for this game because its all over the place, but returned, knows EQ, knows the deal.
    Yet asks,
    How do I level?

Translates into,
    struggling

Tarvas said:
    “That is a good catch. As soon as a team can handle Howls the Darkness (or whatever), it's a good place to farm a couple of nonvis and weapons.”

he don't have no team, people talking about, how they can PL boxing themselves pretty much right now.

then this is their stance

Basically translation is,
    struggling, I have a few 100s, thinking of a box team out of them (how you gonna do that transfer them to another account?)

thinking of boxing.

EQ doesn't have boxing UI, it makes content for groups, group game.
    Yet everything comes down to having to box.

EQ doesn't know what they are doing.
    Their vision changed so much,
    they want people to explore the unexplore, play with others.

Goods map, everyone boxes, except when raiding.

Outta touch with their own game or they know but do nothing, just keep doing what they do thinking everything is fine and dandy.

Waterfall approach, meet at the end of year and discuss.
    Meet when the TLP is done and over with 3 years later and discuss about what happened.

Thats waterfall. Not AGILE
  19. Micker99 Augur

The way you type, is impossible for anyone to follow or read. You don't need a new paragraph, for every sentence, it looks crazy on the eye. I don't know if English is your native language, but my head spins trying to read your posts. Try to condense things if you can.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

TLC made a song covering this years ago.
    Jennre and Beimeith like this.