Pally or Sk?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Anjie, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Holyg New Member

For all those saying paladins can’t get aoe aggro well, don’t play a paladin well. I promise you on any incoming of adds to a raid, paladin is first aggro on most. A well timed splash and I have aggro on every mob that isn’t the main mob. Not to mention we get two pretty quick AAs that’ll put a lot of hate on every mob around you. Heals will aggro more than most any other spell. Y’all can’t hold aggro on a paladin? Once again, doing it wrong. On a full burn our beast lord might steal it once or twice, but for seconds if that. As long as it takes to hit ageless or unyielding. Between divine call, force, parlay, and forgive me it’s late to remember them all by name, but we have a hate dot aggro spell, heal targets target with hate additives. So many buttons you can push that as long as you’re not hulk smashing your keyboard for taunts, you’ll never run out of them if they’re timed right. The only thing that can be a complaint against paladin would be DPS, which lets be real, I am signing up to raid tank, not Dps. And maybe that we could use one more defensive disc to help with a 3 minute or so lull in rotation.

War is best tank but boring. New expansion might make them a top Dps, so that’ll make them fun again.
    SK is just easy mode. A spell for everything.
    Paladin is god tier. If you’re doing it right. You’re a top tank easy.
    demi and Fenthen like this.
  2. Warpeace Augur

Well played.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Xatt Journeyman

I enjoy playing a raid pally and sk. Not gonna lie pally is more work to keep agro then the sk.
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

If you make it a Troll Sk you will find your playing enjoyment is easily quadrupled....;)
  5. rahzel44 Journeyman

Paladins are a lot of fun, but their DPS is poor unless you're fighting undead. Their agro also requires a bit of work in my experience.
    Against undead, they have a lot of utility, being able to slow undead with their Demand for Honor spell line. They have a lot of survivability and have incredible group/raid healing potential, and can typically heal in group content by themselves. Twincast + Splash heals are no joke.
    I personally find paladin gameplay much more fun than SK both in group and raid settings.
    aariell_xev likes this.
  6. fransisco Augur

Sk
    They are superior and have been for decades. More damage, WAY more agro, fd, great healing. They've kinda been the favorite dev child for about 20 years now.

Paladins simply cannot compare.
  7. demi Augur

I main a pally , i do not raid.. however i have no problem keeping agro on multiple mobs and one thing about a pally that id like to see an SK or warrior do .. I can molo most non-named mobs with me and my Dps merc .. im only healer and dps rogue merc is BSing the crap out of mob on burn and i have no problem with agro ..
    Randomized likes this.
  8. Randomized Augur

I've noticed this with the Paladin as well. Did it on mischief, and my solo capabilities even before the mercs were available surpassed that of my SK.

I still have yet to see a group that's pulled more than 8-10 in era mobs that the SK's "super aoe aggro" abilities has to come into play.
  9. Drakang Augur

A well played Paladin can hold aggro. Paladins also provide group healing and are the superior non damage tanks. SKs have an easier time holding aggro if played well and excel at multiple mob aggro. But turn off attack and be prepared to heal them alot harder. A huge chunk of an SKs survivability is based on healing off damage to the mobs. Warriors are stronger tanks if played right than either of the others. All 3 have their strengths and weakness and their roles and abilities are different.
    Angahran likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

The reason that you can keep aggro with a rogue merc is that they do use evade which does reduce their aggro. Use a warrior merc and give it the MT role, and try again ! Instead of using a rogue merc, SHD and WAR will just use the healer merc and their DPS might still be better than yours (PAL+ rogue merc). And they can kill named mobs with that, which you cannot with your rogue merc.

I do box a PAL + BER sometimes; both are still around lvl 60. The PAL has a hard time to keep aggro against the zerker, which does not have aggro reducing abilities yet. It is ping pong during the whole fight. Frenzy = aggro. Situations with multiple mobs are even worse because then the BER does often become the MT. Those little stuns and underpowered DD nukes do not add much aggro. Healing works a bit better.

I think one of the problems is that much more powerfull gear, like Defiant, got added into low level content, while the whole spell and ability system remained about the same. That screwed everything. It would be time to buff low level paladin abilities, especially aggro. And to make their DD nukes and stuns doing more damage which does also help to keep aggro.
  11. Randomized Augur

Burn takes off Evade.
    Balanced uses aggro-dropping abilities. Burn removes them and focus strictly on damage
    And I don't think you understand how Taunt works. A tank merc's taunt will pull aggro off of an SK/Warrior simply due to how Taunt functions. So it'll do it to a Paladin as well. Paladins have tools to increase aggro over time much like SK's and Warriors and tank mercs as well as abilities to put yourself at the top of the hate list + overhate. Aside from the 1 second that taunt will pull off of any PC tank, a Paladin can still hold aggro over a tank merc set to MT.
    And no, Pal + Rogue merc surpass SK/Warrior + Healer merc in terms of DPS
    And you 100% can keep yourself alive and kill a named mob with your own self heals.

This is all a Learn 2 Play issue honestly.
    Angahran and demi like this.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

It is situational and of course the player skill is also a big factor.
  13. Randomized Augur

No it's not situational. Sustained damage, a paladin + rogue merc is considerably more damage than an SK alone.

All things equal, paladin + rogue merc > SK
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I'm sorry, I have to jump in here to point out something that should be obvious.

Splash is not an aggro ability. It has, in fact, a set aggro value with a hate override value of 100. So that statement is just bad.

In addition, how would that work exactly? A wave of 10 adds approach the raid, you let them beat down on non-tanks to do a "timely" splash to heal them for aggro, since heal aggro is based off amount healed not a set amount? Just stand around, let other tanks get 3+ casts of something in, let dps die, so you can try and grab aggro with a heal? That's absurd.

And no, heals will not "aggro more than most any other spell". That's also absurd.

On topic, all three tanks have plenty of aggro for grouping. For raiding, if everyone plays at equal intensity, paladins have the worst aggro. If people play smart and don't fight each other, that shouldn't matter, but we all know it does in the heat of battle.

Works? Yes. Optimal? No. SKs are way better in THAT raid function.

Paladins have a lot of other value though and give a lot of flexibility to raid makeup. You need both on a raid.
  15. demi Augur

first your only lvl 60 you got a long way togo ..
    pally does not have an issue with agro .. they have an AA which reduces agro for everyone in your group and yes I can kill named and keep myself healed while using the dps merc , i just dont like to brag about it and it depends on the named ..
    I'm a healer for cryin out loud it may be a 15min fight but by gosh the named wont kill me unless i do something stupid like miss a heal or something..
    Randomized likes this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Ok, it just doesn't looked like you can kill nameds with the rogue merc, when you cannot kill all non-nameds:
  17. demi Augur

that was my bad , error on my part was meant to say I can molo all mobs and most named mobs .. that better .. I was half asleep when i typed that earlier .. i'll give ya credit your reading comp is spot on .. even though you cant play a pally to full potential yet...
  18. Iven the Lunatic

My pali is only a toy yet. I enjoy playing him tho even that he is a bit weak and boring yet but at least it is challenging. Dunno if I ever will max him as I have so many other toons. :)
  19. Angahran Augur

ROFLMAO!!
  20. Holyg New Member

You show your wealth of knowledge all in this statement. If you raid enough, you know when mobs spawn, how many, what percentage. Not to mention Gina yelling at you adds. So very easy to time said splash to get aggro. Last night on the mushroom raid, we were pulling adds into the center for achievements, we had 2 tanks tagging but yet somehow a splashing paladin would get aggro over everyone. Your lack of knowledge on how much of an aggro getting splash is is evident. I don’t wait for adds to be in camp to splash. If you splash while they’re coming, spawned and making way to raid, guess who has aggro on all of them until other tanks pick off? You guessed it. Me. The paladin. You think healing 40+ people with 1 cast won’t get you on top of the hate list is laughable. I can stay on main mob, not hit any aggro spells, and just cast splash and every add is coming to me. So before you make ignorant statements about stuff you really do not know much about, learn to play the class and come back with something better next time.