P99 vs Boxing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Efr3, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Efr3 Journeyman

I just learned after reading about all of the TLP servers that none of them are true box. If you haven't noticed they all allow boxing or the true box ones become relaxed true box and then no true box after expansions. It's hard for me to believe with as many servers as EQ has that not even one is a true box server. I had every intention of playing on TLP but now I see that my only option to play on a server that doesn't allow boxing is P99. How did it come to this? In the past when I played EQ you grouped with people. Back in the day we knew boxing ruins the game and it did. Apparently even with all of the TLP servers nothing has changed. Right now there is no permanently true box EQ server from what I can see. Is there something I'm wrong about?
  2. AethDW Elder

P99 and DBG servers have been and still are all true box in the eras P99 exists so the comparison doesn’t make much sense. The exception from the Phinny clone era was Rizlona.

True box is not that good of a concept post-POP and pretty useless once you’re 75 and beyond.
    Appren and Barton like this.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

All truebox ever did was make you play on more computers, so every truebox server has always had boxing. Lots of it.
    Oakwynd doesn't relax truebox until 6/20/2024
    Skuz and Appren like this.
  4. CdeezNotes Augur

If you think nobody boxes on p99 I have a really nice bridge for sale. Good price, you interested?

Restricting boxing doesn't force people to group. They'll just pick classes that solo far easier. Allowing boxing doesn't cause nobody to group. Those who want to group continue to do so. Those that always wanted to solo/box will do so.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. jeskola pheerie

You already knew this,.you show up every 3 years to rant about it. Just stick to P99 or project quarm and do some breathing exercises.
    KimchiGoddess and Appren like this.
  6. Zansobar Augur

Truebox does nothing to stop boxing. You will see loads of 6 boxes on truebox servers. You will only find no boxing servers in the private world since there the devs will actually monitor and ban people for boxing or even suspicion of boxing.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As boxing isn't against the rules on any server (Even Aradune allowed boxing two characters but that has been removed) there is nothing that Daybreak can do to prevent it as long as they follow the true box rules and limitations.
    Appren likes this.
  9. jeskola pheerie

Ninja will be back in 2026 all about "omg boxing"
  10. Overcast451 Augur

Edit - never mind, better things to do today :) Ignore this.
  11. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

It is cute you believe no one is boxing over on P99.
    code-zero and FranktheBank like this.
  12. uberkingkong Augur

3 questions then.

1. Why is truebox worthless 75 and beyond

Question 2.
    2. EQ group focused game, should they change if 75 beyond is where you need to box?

3. What have they done to make boxing easier if boxing is the way to go? Boxing UI, anything?

@AllDevs @AllEQThinkTankers listen up
  13. AethDW Elder

Server populations don't sustain enough & people just generally have more divergent farming "wants" not to make it a pita to make groups with 6 people to do all the content at group level from around that time.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  14. Cainen Augur

The divergent "wants" here is a huge factor I think most people overlook. There are so many faction grinds, chase items, access quests, spell progression, etc starting around the 75 era that its almost impossible to stay synced with your friends/guild. So people often splinter off and do their own thing, which is fine, but it promotes boxing/mercs more and more.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

People have boxed EQ and every other game on the planet forever. my friends and I worked for a business with more than 15 PCs and we ran accounts on all of them in off hours.

If a business can sell you a 3 pack of light bulbs instead of waiting for each single bulb transaction as an individual sale, do you complain there too?

I pay for 6 all access accounts currently, but use zero 3rd party anything and seldom run more than two characters at a time give or take campfire runs and XP leeching lowbie alts.

You support the game your way, I'll do mine. Whining about boxing after 25 years of people boxing seems intractible at best, and folly in truth.
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This- I played on TLPs for like 10? expansion cycles and wish to run my own family groups through older group content and don't expect players who worked to max level to slum / carry us.
  17. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

cute?

Deluded maybe?

lol ;)