Lag Carries over to PC processes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gengrel, Oct 31, 2023.

1. Gengrel Lorekeeper

Anyone else getting randomly (could be fine all day, could happen for 2 minutes and clear up or just stay hard lagged until you hard restart your pc) lag.

I've had to hard restart my pc normally because i was in the middle of something and had to get back fast but today I decided to let it ride. This one didn't stop and I tried doing other things in another window on my pc and it too was laggy. One would seem to think maybe I'm using to much ram or CPU. they were not more than 50%, temps were fine on everything, fans turned up 100% entire time before and during.

I finally got it to exit out with alt+f4 and BOOM, everything is FINE now and responds perfectly on my pc like nothing had been wrong at all. I can reopen EQ again and it too is fine. Its almost a 10 second lag but net stats look good too, fiber connection , hardwired, i work for my isp so its not my connection.

Just mainly curious if this is happening to anyone else lately, last month? I'm on Mischief if that matters.

Sidenote I am just boxing with window bar clicking 2 other accounts , no boxing assistance whatsoever :\

Thank you
    V/r
  2. Gengrel Lorekeeper

i started loading up my 3rd account just now, got to char select and boom, lag again on entire pc , i close out 2 of the accounts and my main account starts acting fine again...ever since true box was lifted (
  3. Windance Augur

Try running each copy of EQ from its own folder. If its a file locking issue this might help.

Try disabling your antivirus software for the EQ folder.
    Gengrel likes this.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Someone in Player Support had to pin EQ to a core to clear up issues. Could have been a recent manufacturer or Windows update affecting CPU performance.
    ClientCore0=0
    ClientCore1=2
    ClientCore2=4

Make sure your log files are under 100 MB.

As above, exempt EQ from real time scanning, or just eqgame.exe and Logs folder.
    Gengrel likes this.
  5. Gengrel Lorekeeper

So, I swore there was only one place that had CPUAffinity0=-1 etc.... but now when i search my eq folder it shows:

eqclient-NAME (mischief).ini for each char account i pull up and has CPUAffinity in them, how would I approach this. I tell account 1 the core I want it to be on so say core 5 (it has 12) I change CPUAffinity4 and then other account CPUAffinity5 etc

But when I google search more I read this:
    CPUAffinity# was changed to be ClientCore#. The reason it wasn't removed from existing ini files is because there's no easy way to just remove those lines without nuking everyone's settings. The rename was to also make it clearer what it's actually used for.

This keeps getting more confusing :|
  6. Gengrel Lorekeeper

I have a ryzen 3900xt if curious and its 12 cores so 0-11 so I decided to use cores further away from all my other processes, not sure if thats a great idea to be that far away but hey, we will see if it fixes it. I left CPUAffinity alone and its all still -1. I verified it in Task manager then go to details on eqgame.exe and right click and click set affinity, scroll down to verify your cores are selected for each instance you opened up to box with. Seems set for now. Hopefully this helps anyone else. I also did a bit of reading here too that helped.

ClientCore0=5
    HideSpellsWin=0
    CharCreateRotateOn=0
    TrackMercs=0
    TrackPets=0
    ClientCore1=6
    Announce=0
    AutoAFKOff=0
    UseNewUIEngine=0
    ClientCore2=7
    ClientCore3=8

5 minutes into logging in my third account it started, fastest it's started happening ugh. My third account was in the bag but had npc , Merc and such hidden in options. I had to close all 3 exe down to clear the pC lag. Nothing hot all aio cooled GPU and CPU with temps in 30c .

No other games have issues . About to do two fresh installs of eq folders and move in files over and try that.... Sigh
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

You aren't going to get support for 3rd party applications in this forum.

Yes old entries aren't deleted from ini files, only ignored. You've been playing since before the change. Theres also no order to ini files, you are supposed to have ClientCore# in the [Defaults] section now.

You can leave them or you can delete them yourself since you are editing the file, those lines are ignored. You have to edit the file while you are logged out else whatever settings were loaded are going to overwrite your changes.

The ini file is doing the exact same thing as set affinity in task manager, except you have to set the core in task manager yourself each time you start up EQ (it's not saved anywhere) whereas the ini setting handles it itself each time it launches.

So each physical core is split into 2 CPUs (hyperthreading). Core 1 will be CPU 0 and 1, Core 2 will be CPU 2 and 3. Because of this, you want to use all odd numbered CPUs or all even numbered CPUs or else you are running 2 EQ on the same physical core, unless you space them far enough apart to be on separate cores. I really doubt using CPUs 6-11 are going to be any different than using CPUs 0-5, Windows when allowed to control the thread is going to use whatever CPU is available so all are going to be in use at the same time anyway.

ClientCore0=5
    ClientCore1=7
    ClientCore2=9
    ClientCore3=11

The whole reason CPUAffinity (later ClientCore) was added as a setting was because EQ is so old there were certain systems that had issues, and pinning the game to 1 core helped.
  8. Windance Augur

To expand on what Soulbanshee said:

Back when hyper-threading and multiple cores first came out the cost for moving an application from one core to another was much higher and the windows scheduler was a lot less savvy about when to move applications between cores.

Under those conditions it was helpful at times to "park" an application on a specific core and tell the OS not to move it.

Now its fairly common to have 6,8,12 or even 16 cores. AMD and Intel to tuned their CPU's to drastically reduce the cost of moving applications between cores, and the Windows scheduler knows a lot more about how to get the most out of the various CPU cores.

On modern hardware it can be better to let the operating system control which core the application gets shuffled around to.

You might try just deleting your ini files and recreating them fresh.
  9. Silver-Crow Augur

10. Moege Augur

EverQuest does not create eqclient files named like this. you are using some 3rd party program so not DB's problem.
  11. Gengrel Lorekeeper

I 1000% am not using any 3rd party program. I did try isbxr trial and didn't like it, way to much to setup and said f that for what I do. possible it was that but I didn't modify that file and if that's the case I'll delete those. All I could see different in those files were screen sizes and I assumed they had to do with the load ui / hot button options .
  12. Gengrel Lorekeeper

Ah, this was for the Intel users coming across this thread I think. Thanks for info, I'm AMD but will remember this.
  13. Windance Augur

Gengrel -

Have you tried running 3x characters on a live server?

Would be an interesting test.
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

Then thats why eqclient-NAME (mischief).ini doesn't do anything and why you dont see ClientCore in it, those aren't EQ generated files. You want eqclient.ini.