Next TLP Proposal

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Junkieman, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You gave 1 singular number without any supporting evidence.

I showed my math.

Your assertions are based on wish-fulfilment, nothing more.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

A number with an official source. None of your numbers come from any sources. Again, fairy-tale nonsense.

Lots of people would play a hardcore server have fun, and leave when they want. It doesn't have to run to Live or last forever. Run it for a few months or a year, create rewards, title, whatever and it'll people will be into it. WoW Hardcore was such a refreshing take on a game without it having to be as reflex intensive as a Dark Souls game.
  3. Junkieman New Member

I suggest you not to waste your time. "An Elephant is like a snake" to him.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

I think this was a missing point from your earlier messages. I assumed, like Skuz probably did, you meant a hardcore server that is persistent (because that would be the logical assumption given both the wow servers and the history of tlps).

I think hardcore as an event server would be fine. We can talk about the other issues with that.

As far as numbers, Skuz isnt that far in fairy land. Blizzard doesn't release sub numbers anymore, but there are a bunch of estimation sites/orgs and most estimate around 4-6mil (keep in mind we are in the tail end of season 2, because season 3 doesnt release until the 14th) and that doesnt feel like an absurd data point to use.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I've seen a much lower estimate from Bellular, and he looks at number of Mythic 0's that completed. None of those numbers are relevant Skuz made up a bunch of math in the same style as UberKingKong (that's who I originally assumed replied with that math post).

Again, WoW's population number isn't relevant the comparison is that a similar audience/game has a massively successful TLP variation.
  6. Overcast451 Augur

I did actually find a large group of them. They just aren't on an official server. :)

I guess my whole thing is wanting this concept of a long and persistent world. Live just progressed - more driven by revenue than a love of the game and that shows too much - I don't find Live to be anything but inflated numbers and rushed expansions.

I'm pretty bored of the TLP rinse and repeat. A very slow progressing server where I can build relationships, have fun and whatever - and take my time doing it appeals to me most.

The TLP servers are fun, but before you know it - one year is up and the new one launches.. the last one is a ghost town.

Again, Subjective. But I don't seem to be alone, considering Quarm surpassed 2200 players online this weekend.

Maybe it'll stick around, maybe it won't. But been the most fun I've had in EQ in a very, very long time.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you can't find a group that wants to do this on an official TLP why do you think that there would be a large enough group of players to support a server that does this?
  8. Overcast451 Augur

I did find them - On Quarm. lol :)
    Sorry, but it's true.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And last I checked that isn't an official TLP server which was what I included in my statement.
  10. CdeezNotes Augur

Ah yes, those paying customers of the Quarm server. We definitely should listen to them. :rolleyes:
    FranktheBank and Skuz like this.
  11. Overcast451 Augur

Indeed and regardless if it sticks around or not, it would seem to be some indication that there are a decent number of people who have an interest in a much slower progressing server. Which is the whole concept of this post from the start :)
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And it is unlikely to have anywhere near the population base needed for an official TLP server not to mention it is hard to compare the population of a free unofficial server to a paid official one. They have had slower unlock servers in the past and there is a reason they don't have them anymore.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Please explain to me in a sensible manner how comparing the overall population of WoW and the amount of players on WoW Hardcore servers is irrelevant when looking to estimate how much of EQ's population could be expected to want to try that style in trying to make a estimate of ifs appeal.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  14. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It's tangential and detracts from the point that it's produced a ton of life and energy around a 20 year old game. Over 3 million player deaths in under 3 months.

Fact is a lot of EQ players current and not playing would have interest and giving it a try. Does it need to be permanent forever server? No. Can it provide a lot of interest, drama, fun, social interaction? Yes.

Hardcore (perma-death modes) has shown to be popular in WoW, which overlaps with EQ's audience.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The 3 million death number by itself is meaningless and it is more important to know the number of players and the average number of deaths per player. How many players are on the server and how often they are dying would give a better idea of how the server is working and how it might work in other games.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. FranktheBank Augur

So a free server that has been out for 1 month has at most half the population of a paid server at the same timeframe... :eek:
    Skuz and Barton like this.
  17. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It's been out for 3 months and there's 2 servers with over 3 million player deaths. If you can't accept that as a significant number, then there's not really any further discussion that's worthwhile.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

There isn't. You are focusing on a bad part of your 'pitch' and you are arguing with a notoriously bad faith, non-constructive poster.
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

If the average person died 10 times that means 300k players in a game of 5 million. That's not popular at all lol. That's at most a couple thousand people in all of EQ interest (and that's being incredibly generous).
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, that number is meaningless if it turns out players are experiencing multiple deaths per day on average. You are talking about 2 servers from a total of 600+ which suggests it is a smaller percentage of the population.
    Skuz likes this.