Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Randomized Augur

Think it's more in line with the reality of this next quote sinking in:
  2. DeadRagarr Augur

Confirmed last EQ expansion. FAQ's are being delayed now. All devs must have been moved to EQ3GachaArk.
  3. uberkingkong Augur

Be nice if they do it with Laurion Song theme, thats in Karanas right? Maybe a must goto the Western Plains of the Karanas, by the Northern Plains side.

It would be really cool.
    Nostalgia of autorun and very long zone and coming back and seeing you are stuck on a tree and didn't cover hardly any ground.

Finally now you can change your Persona, now you run to wherever or clicky/port outta there.

Theming, Laurion Song, Karanas. AP, Karanas thing.

Going to be pretend and go in special dream world as if you was an Alternate Persona, but you gotta goto the Karanas to do it.

You folks LOVE nostalgia, gotta put some nostalgia in it.
    Remember Commonlands, East and West. Took me 2 hours to run through them back in the old days. I actually died by a hill giant once, took me 5 hours, since it took 2 hours to find the corpse too.
  4. Ghaleon Journeyman

Do we know any real actual information on how this is going to work yet? Not going to look through 48 pages of wild random guesses and arguments.
  5. Bernel Augur

I think the only official statement about how it works is from the pre-order page:

I don't think there's been any other statements made about how it will work or what capabilities it will have.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

What do you want people to talk about? We've talked the topic to death. The last 5-10 pages were just repeats (minus the licorice story arc). If the FAQ is delayed because Angelinia is busy, then thats real crummy for us. It's probably due to the EQ2 discord and forums are basically on fire with censorship due to a pdf regarding a dev on eq2 being accused of shady dealings with cheaters.
    Barton and code-zero like this.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

I was more referring to the eerie silence that followed rather than the pitchforks and torches vs. dev apologists. Just felt weird is all.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

I don't think anyone blames Klanderso. Most people understand she is just picking up the slack that Dzarn left and that the company decided not to addess. Yelling about how terribly the company is run gets old.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Nennius like this.
  9. Sissruukk Rogue One

I agree with you on both counts. Still feels weird.
    Nennius likes this.
  10. Tuco Augur

Nah, that'd be really presumptious.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

I certainly don't. Picking up the pieces of an incomplete project isn't the easiest thing to do. If a longer delay will make it better I will wait.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  12. Cicelee Augur

100% disagree. It makes zero sense to me why you would spend so much time and energy and thought to create/invent AP and then shut down the game in 18 months. AP is either (a) a final cash grab to get a bunch of people to buy an expansion but never fully get it to where AP should be, or (b) DBG and devs have at least 3-5 years of content/lore/theme in place (or being discussed) and they expect the game not to sunset this decade. I lean towards option (b) in this scenario
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and code-zero like this.
  13. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Eh, rank and file employees don’t know what the larger holding company is thinking. There’s a lot of reports of people doing business as usual and next day business is closed. They’re not contracting the work or pumping up staff to pump out Alternate Personas, so the development cost is limited to 1 employee salary that you’re already paying.

All that said EQ isn’t shutting down as EG7 doesn’t really have any other major games.
  14. Cicelee Augur

IMHO I don't think AP is "doing business as usual". It is a pretty big feature to the game. And while yes, non exec employees are not making long term future of the game decisions per se, I would guess JChan went to the execs with this idea a long time ago to get their input. If execs wanted EQ1 shut down in 18 months, I don't think they would have approved of AP and instead voted to use the time/resources to a memorable final fight or something.

We all know EQ1 is going to end at some point. To me, AP doesn't signal an end any time soon.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It’s an expansion feature that adds MTX that’s all it is. It’s not a big project in the scope of resources or costs. It’s the labor of one developer that’s already hired and was already going to be working on a new feature.

It is big in the scope of the systems that it changes and touches, but as it stands its normal from a labor and cost perspective. This is all based off the assumption Klanderso is the only one working on it.

Moving to 64 bit, DX11 and UI engine updates are a much better signal of the games future than Alternate Personas.
  16. kizant Augur

They have no choice but to move to 64bit and dx11. Sooner or later the game would simply stop working on new computers if they don't. AP is a sign that they are still interested in making the game itself better.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

Right. It does bomb your teeths away.

Licorice faces...

[IMG]
  18. Buds Augur

Obviously, he is being sarcastic.

AP isn't the end of the world, just something we are all interested in and hoping to hear more about. Also, hoping it's an actual useful and fun change.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

Interesting family reunion. :)
    Iven likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Wouldn't know about that I have never had a cavity :)
    Nennius likes this.