What is EQX? The future of EverQuest?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fading Illusion, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Ahahahahaha

I used to be a community contributor for Wargaming, purveyors of Wold of Tanks / Warship / Warplanes.

After years of investing time and in some cases money to build up crews and their abilities, one day (Update 6.0) they just -removed- them and replaced the entire game with a sort of lookalike third rate knockoff of thier own game as they lost the licensure for the engine.

They KNEW this was in the works for 2 years so... they heavily ran promos to sell more crew vouchers and kept sale up until the game went down for patch.

Every chance wargaming gets, they rip people off. Like DBCash here, Wargaming titles have cash paid currency that is used for pay to win mechanics, like ammunition that does more damage as long as you're spending. Every time they update the game, they swap to auto resupply gold ammo just to steal people's money. They have done THAT for a decade.

Nationality is no guarantee of anything.

In the US you at least get some control over the financial shenanigans. Not so much in Belarus.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

World of Warcraft's "other people" are usually people from other servers who have been sharded to push players from multiple servers into a shared locus, (like a localized subzone without zonelines.) You can see each other, talk to each other, but can't guild with them or build lasting friendships as they're from a different server.

Boxing isn't "lose/lose"

It's free, for one. It's an avenue to get caught up without expecting level 120 players to slum level 50. Or to farm those silks I need. I also raid on TLP and don't box there at all.

that's not lose/lose, that's win with more options.

One doesn't just find groups, one makes friends and has a friendlist, general chats and guild to meet others who want the same.

No game
    NO game anywhere compares to a full on 54 person raid in Everquest. Raids in WoW are a joke and at quite juvenile difficulty.

Everybody soloing isn't RPG

Babies play in parallel. One of the first signs of early human development is when toddlers coplay.

Also- Literally EVERY dungeon or delve or even open world quest mobs, there's always 5 other people zerging through it. Not immersive at all, more like a puppy mill.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well put.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

I work in a cube in an office. Even with a promotion (ding!) my butt is glued to a chair. You can see where my physiology is actually going here.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nennius, Sissruukk and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

lol
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

The Everquest Show is not put on my Daybreak, DarkPaw, or any other EG7 official. It is a FAN run youtube. Fading does a wonderfully professional production, but that still doesn't mean it is paid for or sponsored by Daybreak, et. al. He does use content he has from past shows which is not a bad thing. The quote at the end was from Daybreak as an update to the interview that was done a few years ago with the concept artist.
  8. ttobey Developer

I can't wait for FirionaKart!
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

80 10 10 - this could be anything from EQ & EQ2. A hybrid of the 2 games.

Much as I dislike EQ2, they do have some pretty nifty features and some of the ones shared with EQ are better. I prefer EQ2 housing system and Auction House for example. EQ2 still has a version of EQplayers, they also have a mentor system. I prefer EQs tradeskills and character models, except EQ2 gnomes, I love EQ2 gnomes.

Improvements to follow, fellowships, etc would be nice to see.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

From what I recall of the Investor presentation the initial plan is to base EQ3 most heavily on EQ rather than EQ2.

Which got me interested, because if EQ 3 was basically a Revamped EQ with some new bells & whistles it could be great.
    Barton likes this.
  11. DeadRagarr Augur

Some higher up saw Lost Ark and went, hey we can charge people for upgrades that fail? Like thats a thing? Thus EQX idea was born.
  12. Zorvan New Member

Absolutely noone believes this is going to ever happen. Daybreak has made a habit of announcing "projects" to fluff investor reports just to renege afterwards. Ask LotRO players how that "graphics upgrade" turned out. DBG doesn't have the money ( among other things ) required to make a modern mmorpg.
    Skuz, Burdi, Brontus and 1 other person like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Princess Peach = Firiona Vie
    Mario = Bristlebane
    Luigi = Brell
    Donkey Kong = Cazic Thule
    Yoshi = Ganak
    Bowser = Overlord Mata Muram
    Toad = Antraygus
    Koopa = Venril Sathir
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It's incredibly sad to know that this fact needs to be voiced at all.
    Skuz, Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yeah! You could attach the player to the axle that bumps along with the wheels and have them facing in an off center angle.

You could do that for 20 years and then tell a funny story about it.

;)
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You do have a valid point referencing the LOTRO GFX Upgrade since it was announced & then pulled, surely they have the good sense to cost things prior to announcing them....well it would seem the answer is a resounding nope they really don't.

So an EQ3 could just be another one of those "well we announced it before we properly costed it out & it's way more money than we are prepared to spend so we are pulling the plug on it.

And in fairness saying they can make an EQ3 for 30 million is utterly laughable, unless tehy are planning to make the smallest game in the MMORPG genre yet built, modelled on recent EQ expansions would it just have 7 zones 2 missions & 8 raids?
    Luminus and Zorvan like this.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is the really the sticking point for me. 3 years and $30M+ to hire and develop a team, pay for art, engine, code, animation, design, QA, etc seems lowball.

Kotaku in 2017 indicated games cost $10k per month per person to make. I am certain this number is higher today. Considering most mid-tier studios put 80-150 people on a new project, we're talking $9.6M/yr at the low end, $19M/yr at the high end. Total project cost under these circumstances, assuming they hit the 3 year completion target, is $30M to $57M.
    Luminus, Zorvan and Skuz like this.
  18. Burdi Augur

The EQX concept art obviously took its inspiration in marvel, and DC comic.
    This could be a good concept for a different franchise, for EverQuest that seems out of place.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

To iterate on a point I made somewhere else, if you arent making it in South Korea (and their development cost numbers are HIGHLY suspect anyway; the current claim is BDO was made for about 30% of the cost of the initial EQ launch [not adjusted for inflation]), you arent making an MMO for 30mil, at least not one thats trying to compete in the current market.

That hasnt been the development cost of any MMO whose name you would recognize since the early 2000s (WoW, when adjusted for inflation, was a $105m cost, and Rift would clock in at $71m)
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!