Everquest Design state 2023

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

We fall into the less impatient side of things. And no, I'm not in a hurry.
  2. Randomized Augur

I could fully understand if using DBC to instantly finish a quest allowed you to skip the 10 quest in a 24 hour period limit...but that's now how it works. Yay, you paid money to hurry up and sit around...longer.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

Also you paid for increased failure chance.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. uberkingkong Augur

They should a temporary chatgpt expert, $20,000 an hour.

Then ask what was the outcome of the meeting with chatgpt, how can we make EQ one of the top games again. What did chatgpt says it takes for EQ to be the top. What do we need to work on this year.

ex.
    It said 0 raids? get rid of missions?
    we love doing raids.
    49/140
    and other games like GW2 top 10, they had an expansion 0 raids, the last 2 expansions 0 raids?
    doesn't make sense from EQ dev/creative/analysis point of view.

but chatgpt suggests do other stuff to get EQ back into the top 10 again. ok.
    I suppose for the greater good of EQ brand we will do this and what chatgpt suggests we should do.

data doesn't lie.
    data data data
    big data says so.

the only way data is bad is when someone manipulates it to make it look good for what they want. when retrieving data that makes what you want look good, doing something certain way so data comes out how you want it, thats when data becomes bad. EQ doing this?

big AI, big data, chatgpt thats a good place to get real analysis that can be used for discussions.

World of Warcraft: WoW has maintained a strong player base with regular expansions and updates, prioritizing a mix of content types, including new zones, dungeons, raids, and storytelling.

Final Fantasy XIV: FFXIV had experienced significant growth with well-received expansions, focusing on rich storytelling, character progression, and endgame content.

The Elder Scrolls Online: ESO had been steadily growing and had placed a significant emphasis on expanding its world, storytelling, and player housing.

Guild Wars 2: GW2 was known for its commitment to living world updates, which included new story chapters, open-world events, and quality of life improvements.

EVE Online: EVE had been maintaining its dedicated player base and frequently introduced sandbox gameplay updates, including political and economic systems.

The Old Republic (SWTOR): SWTOR had been focused on delivering story-driven content through expansions, bringing back former players and attracting new ones.

Black Desert Online: BDO concentrated on character progression, action-packed combat, and open-world activities.

Runescape: The game continued to evolve with a mix of content, including quests, new skills, and quality of life improvements.

ArcheAge: ArcheAge had been striving to keep players engaged with sandbox gameplay, naval combat, and open-world activities.

Aion: Aion had been introducing new zones, classes, and endgame content to cater to its player community.

EQ isn't even top 10 according chatgpt either.
    49/140

There was only 1 mention of raids, thats in WoW.
    Top 10 games aren't big into raids, raids is not really a big thing in MMORPG's believe it or not.

Story-driven
    Open-world activites

occured in mutliple ones and guess what

EQ Expansions:
    Con:
    Story-driven
    have you been following any story? How did we get to Laurion Song, no one knows.
    how did we get to NoS, no one knows.
    Terrible story-drive, big Con.
    Con:
    Open-world activities
    any mass gatherings at any open world area, for some event may it be racing, coin collecting, open world boss.
    No none of that, hence huge con for EQ

things people look for,
    Huge cons in EQ
    hence 49/140

this is why we need EQ3, EQ is way too far behind anything like this, it doesn't have potential this just blows EQ outta the waters. Need an EQ3 to compete in 2023. 1999 game just too old, was fierce back then, but today its too old.

EQ is like those people in NBA people just say they got something but, should they keep going with that person or look for draft.
    Al Horford, he's pretty dang good, but he's old now. Still puts up some numbers but old. Draft time or what.
    Thats EQ. Time to draft. Time for EQ3.

You can keep the ideas of EQ, just need to draft/ get new/ EQ3.
    Other games be blowing EQ outta the water. 1999 pfft easy to blow that outta the water.
    We got 10 armor customizations, EQ still stuck on 4-6 visible? pfft 1999 game, old. Can add 10 new armor visible easily quickly. EQ struggling at that. Old.

Just because EQ3 doesn't mean new ideas, new core vision. New game you can keep the core vision. It's just newer and better, smoother, nicer, more things you can do, easier, less time.

EQ is like Chris Paul actually, extend the contract or not? lets see for a trade? won a rookie of the year and bunch of things but nothing very outstanding. At that old age, yet still kicking. Kinda has an ego. Somewhat strong followers too. Appears in state farm commercials as frequent as EQ makes expansions.
    WoW is like Lebron James, several MVPs, still in MVP talks. How long of contract should do, still really good, but 10 year contract, thats too long, how about 2-3 year really expensive we cannot lose this player. Big time followers, King James, WoW, King of MMORPGs.
  5. Mossaa Augur

Uberkingkong are free to play any of those super games
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

ChatGPT or Bing AI can't even tell you what are the best clickies a rogue should have (I know, I put an answer from ChatGPT in a thread in the Melee forum), what makes you think that it can tell you how to make EQ a top 10 game again?
    Reliance on AI at this point is overrated.
  7. uberkingkong Augur

meh, it gives idea what makes good game, that was expansions.

Lemme guess your a fan of this,

notice, not an expansion
    notice Open-world activities
    like chatgpt mentioned

thing is EQ doesn't do that in new expansions.
    Thats basically is EQ TLP's worth playing, I'd say yes.

If the TLP is worth playing but the expansions are not worth playing.
    You don't need to make a new expansion, not worth playing to the majority of the MMORPG population, EQ new expanions have Cons in the top things people are looking forward to in expansions.

How does EQ manage TLPs?
    Waterfall, set the rules and after 3 years/lifespan of TLP, they check and discuss.
    Or they check and discuss do nothing. Waterfall.

Not AGILE.

EQ doesn't need more developers, they need to hire PMP's with a small of group of people who can make changes on TLPs if need be and create more fun TLPs.

Why waste time on Kunark 2.0 Velious 2.0 Luclin 2.0.
    Could just do a TLP with special rules to make those eras more special and fun.
    While working on EQ3.

6 years, that time worth spent? 6 years!
    EQ better overall on Live, after those 6 years of time spent?

Mounts cooler, any cool things you can do now, the armor visibles, roleplaying aspects.

Or is it just content people have to dread catching up when they return.
    ugh, I'm 105, kunark 2.0 is not fun catchup. velious 2.0 not fun catchup, luclin 2.0 not fun catchup.

other games, you got the expansion, great now go get that fun mount. go unlock fishing its fun. go get your skiff, go get the flying mount, more open world activities, more unique spells!

EQ, do that group mission to catchup. also do you remember overseer its still there. can't do the group mission, sure i can carry you, oh you don't want that, but you don't to spend 9 months catching up either, oh well thats EQ. Thats why I like EQ, timesinks.
    Got too much time, EQ has a lotta timesinks for me, so I enjoy EQ.
    One of my favorite timesinks is the catching up level wise. I enjoy being alone too, enjoy being challenged by doing group intended in era, spent whole year in previous then do stuff group content difficulty in regards to that content, doing it molo, it's a good challenge. Thats why I like EQ.
    Evertimesink.
    Can watch a whole a month go by and feel like haven't progressed much. Love EQ.
  8. Randomized Augur

I think EoK and RoS were great catch ups - i loved the 2.0 version since I missed Kunark in era back in 2000. Not to mention the Rhino mount, owlbear mount, the Shik'nar mount.

As far as "going and unlocking fishing" - that's no different than continuing tradeskills. Which with Artisans Prize, and the Rallos earring, that's exactly that.

Everything you're praising other games for, EQ has. But you don't actually play the game so you wouldn't know that.
    Mossaa likes this.
  9. Pops Racer Olde Faht

Decent insight. I agree with this.

Not a joke: I hope they throw another Fan Faire at some point, because I'd love to experience uberkingkong live and in person.
    Vizier and FranktheBank like this.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

You see this.

FFXIV investing ,they know what MMORPG'ers want.

fun community events.

EQ.
    community events?
    Never heard of em, never done em.
    Just like 2001 EQ,
    quests? never heard of em, never done em.

EQ 2009, they got with the program, quests, missions.
    2009 since, stagnant, outta the loop.

other games have meta events, fun events, open world bosses (EQ used to have this, it was positive and they never did it since, just UF like minded ever since, UF received poorly, boomerang brawl wasn't part of that reason either)

FFXIV, trying to do what they do.

Raids they have ultimate difficulty and participation trophy difficulty
    EQ, participation trophy difficulty
    Community Events
    EQ, thats a big con for EQ
    story
    Big con for EQ
    racing roleplaying events, and so on
    Big con for EQ

30 expansions, oh we don't have that, we wish.

Too much focus on FFXIV, GW2 that event pretty much gives me SAB vibes.

what is EQ doing.
    season event
    just some quests.

community event? mass gatherings for fun?
    nah just some quests.

Jumping puzzle. Alliance wars.
    EQ'ers what is that?

30 expansions cmon.

25th anniversary coming up, step up, seriously.
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

UKK as Master of Ceremonies...
    Pops Racer likes this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Good LUKK.
    Pops Racer and FranktheBank like this.