Good idea? Or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fading Illusion, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Fading Illusion Augur

I was perusing the interwebs and since Frostfell is right around the corner, I'm seeing lots of ads for Advent Calendars.

What if we had something like that for EverQuest!?

I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but how cool would it be to pay for the calendar (one-time purchase) , and then each day leading up to Frostfell (Christmas) in December you get to open a "reward."

This would certainly encourage daily log ins which encourages continued play, and rewards could be anything from small Frostfell housing items to perhaps a mount or illusion. Again price dependent.

Also.... PLEASE! Implement a way for me to gift marketplace items (or Daybreak cash) to others in game! (EQ2 has this feature)

Your thoughts?
    Fading
    Treebeard, Nennius and Metanis like this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Since 2011, was free, now paid.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=6478

So if the whole thing was paid, and required login each day, what would happen if the person missed a day or forgot for some reason?
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

All I want is a new shirt for the 25 year anniversary.
    Silvena likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sounds to me at first glance like a timed-release loot box.

I should add that I hate loot boxes on principle, no matter the game, so I am heavily biased against this kind of "pay for random prize" mechanic as to me it equates to gambling & exploitaitive practices in gaming are already running amok.

If EQ had an "Advent Calendar" in game that rewarded players for logging in without them paying I guess you could call that a seasonal reward from Darkpaw, but Overseer is pretty much the "daily log in encouragement" already.

And I have seen passive "log in every day" reward systems on multiple MMO, SWToR has a pretty decent one for example.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yes, they've done in the past where logging in every day got you a different free item each day. And yes, it's annoying if you have to skip a day for some reason then you can't get it.
    Skuz and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

I'd be down for it if it weren't paid for. But do it like they did for some past illusions: Log in as a gold member from x to y, get the illusion.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Being able to gift Marketplace items 100%. I wish, too, it was possible to gift DB cash, like the old SC gift cards that could be bought. It would be nice, too, to have a way to gift an expansion other than by purchasing the F&F which isn't that helpful if you've already gotten the expansion yourself.

Buying a time-release loot box with real money, nah, not a fan.
  8. Herf Augur

For next year I want a chocolate EQ advent calendar :)
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Bout it my three silver accounts i log in for overseer.
  10. Hegsheoshed Augur

If you miss a day Bad Santugg opens it and takes out the present and puts a Nights of the Dead treat in like some Haunted Candy Corn.
  11. Randomized Augur

How about weekly log-ins? Can extend any of the requirements for the day to make it a weeks worth.

That way if you miss a day or two you don't lose out. And can extend it over a few days. Or procrastinate and do it all on the last day if you so choose.
    Nennius likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I considered cornering the market with a black licorice advent calendar.
  13. Rikantiz Lorekeeper

You are a monster, sir
    Nennius and Skuz like this.
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Good quality black licorice is so yummy. Cheap licorice is horrible. Sadly, most have only ever tried the later.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Herf Augur

Skuz likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Most licorice in the UK is flavoured with Aniseed rather than containing actual licorice root.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Skuz likes this.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

Let's just agree that taking licorice to the knee is not good for your health and it should be dumped in the waste bin. :p
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

And using it to remove ear wax is just...wrong.
    Skuz and Sissruukk like this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

[IMG]
    Skuz likes this.