He Played EverQuest For 100 Hours - Should You?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Oct 22, 2023.

1. FranktheBank Augur

TLPers are just as stupid as anyone else about Eq.
    KushallaFV and jeskola like this.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

He’s like 20 years too late for EQ rage bait to be popular.
    Metanis, Nennius and code-zero like this.
  3. Schadenfreude Augur

A much more enjoyable video I found yesterday.

Corwyhn Lionheart, Skuz and code-zero like this.
  4. Juzam_Djinn Elder

Cyberpunk worked fine on Steam.
  5. WorldsNotGames New Member

He didn't start on a TLP? There is his problem
  6. uberkingkong Augur

Not his problem. EQ's problem.

He gave the game 100 hours, he went in with lets actually try EQ, for real for real.

You gotta respect his time, 100 hours, time is money.

Sad thing is he gives a good review. But this community is so defensive, hence why its 49/140. It's not open to changes. Then they just wanna argue you with about changes rather than try and come to a solution.

Go back its to UF like expansions. group heavy raid heavy game.

TLP isn't group heavy raid heavy in the beginning. You go do stuff still meaningful without a group.

Being a 120, catching up, you wont be able to do 2 expansions levels behind by yourself. As a catchup player, not a current keep trucking every expansion player.
    Doing 2 expansions levels behind your getting worthless loot your not feeling good, feeling like garbage. Progress is slow. Burnout kicks in.

He got to 30, nowhere close to max level, many hours.
    Any other game 100 hours you'd get pretty far.

Level 30 thats nothing.
    Goes to show actual newplayer.

Hardcore players thinks everyone knows what to do, everything common sense, makes sense. 1-85 within a week, evee just 1-2 days.

100 hours is within a week, only got to lvl 30.

Data hungry people,
    Theres your data.
    What do you do when you get your data?
    Doesn't match with you've been doing the past 10 years year after year. Just turn your head away keep minding your own business.

49/140 for a reason buddy.

btw 100 hours.
    this game makes you read a lot, alt tab a lot to go read stuff. allakhazam stuff. its a lot of reading. reading takes time too. just saying.

Play Diablo 4, are you constantly looking at some browser alt tab, reading constantly.
    This is video perspective, not genre.
    GW2, its a quick glance.
    where is the meta event right now. alt tab check. play the game play the game. not doing alt tabbing reading, reading tons of stuff.
    You actually don't tab tab, just open the group window, find the zone with the biggest squad and easily join 50 other players doing big open world many players 100+ people PvE meta events.
    Remember the old school days open world bosses, 100s of players.
    GW2 is doing that today. Been doing that for long time. It's their big highlight. EQ quit doing that, lord knows why.

Difference between EQ and GW2.
    EQ Lord Nagafen, massive amount don't show up anymore.
    GW2 100s of people show up everyday at the sametime, multiples instances of 100s of people waiting for. Tequatl.
    100s then, 100s still today show up.
    EQ nagafen 100s show up then, no one shows up now. every world boss empty.

EQ could not find any solution to bring back the memories the old days with 100s of people showing up for a big fight.
    Another game found out how to do, 10 years later they still got 100s of people showing up too.

people have been daily showing up to open world raid boss, everyday after server reset (this video is off hour, people still do it even on off hours, just not as many)
    meanwhile EQ, no open world boss no mass gathering, no roleplaying, no social time events. These other MMOs they have social time events. EQ has no social time events unless your in a click.
    Notice in the video, SOLO. also, screen effects, it makes the game intense, fun. the little things.
    Solo and around many many other people.

solo game, yet so many people with you. ~ Win Win
    EQ is group game, but no one around with you. ~ Lose Lose

Looking at GW2, that game was designed well, still got people showing up to those world boss fights, your in the game and doing stuff in the game, not constantly alt tabbing for every little information.

EQ though,
    EQ, alt tab alt tab.
    Box alt tab
    Info alt tab
    alt tab alt tab

alt tab means you exiting the game window. multiple EQgames, looking at that browser.
    bad game design.
    LesserArchi likes this.
  7. Numiko Augur

He never subbed, used a free to play account so TLP servers were out of reach for him.

He was stuck with 2 character slots, an A2 merc and though he never got high enough he would have only been able to get 250 aa's .. he basically played a DEMO version of EQ.

At least he got 3 levels higher then you can get on World of Warcraft using a free account!
  8. uberkingkong Augur

He subbed, he was on Oakwynd.
    Barton likes this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

In the end, do you enjoy playing EQ? If so, keep playing.

If you don't enjoy playing it...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    :) WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??? :)
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

[IMG]
    Rijacki and code-zero like this.
  10. jeskola pheerie

Uberkingkong, I tried to read this post to give you a fair chance, but c'mon. This is just ridiculous. Please try to edit your posts to be shorter and consider common sense before clicking Post Reply or none of us will be able to take you seriously. You are making mark and Captain Video look like geniuses.
    Retty, Nennius and FranktheBank like this.
  11. blurpppa New Member

Boomers playing EQ1 and to some degree EQ2 just have to realise that once we finally stop playing video games, the old MMOs will dwindle. If it wasn't for the p2w aspect of both games and us having access to lots of dollars to pay to win(skip) or pay for 6 accounts each, both games would have shut down a long time ago.

Daybreak has a huge issue and that is that they cannot attract new players to their titles and the Everquest IP, despite what some EQ1 players like to believe, is not a well known brand in the world of gaming in 2023. Sure boomers in other MMORPG games might casually have heard about it or played it 20 years ago or seen some youtube video about the birth of MMO games, but most gamers if you asked them today would have no clue what the game is all about and the ones that do most likely would have guessed it shut its doors many years ago.

The graphics and UI smells like old and just looking at it will make most people instantly regret even considering downloading the game.

Telling someone putting 100 hours into a game isnt enough to know if its good or not must be some sort of sick joke.
    KushallaFV and LesserArchi like this.
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

First off you're just so wrong in your comparison. You can't compare EQ and GW2. An EQ raid is like the Catalina Wine Mixer. It's for the elite and select few. You can't just show up as some random person, you either got to be someone or know someone.
  13. Retty Lorekeeper

Everyone saying he should have kept going until he started end game, then what? You're expected to box these days if you wanna get anything done. Try convincing anyone new that they need to spend more on a couple of more side accounts to level, and pay monthly just for the ability to do anything on your own time. On a nearly quarter of a century old MMO.

His opinion would resonate better with your average video game enjoyer, not the handful of people left stuck on sunken cost fallacy.

It's ok to disagree with him, but there's a reason EQ isn't exactly grabbing new blood, or even attracting OGs who used to play.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

What Josh Strife is complaining about in the game is no clear, in-game method to connect with other players. EverQuest's social connectivity mimics real social life before the internet and social media. Socializing and connecting with others takes effort. And EverQuest does not cater to socialization, group searching or rapid group gathering methods. The social tools EQ has in place are not intuitive - which is one of his major gripes.

Your sunken cost fallacy reasoning is a wild assumption, and patently false. I continue to play EverQuest for the friendships I have. Norrath still excites me. I play other games as well (BG3, Genshin, Fortnite, Elden Ring, Diablo, Starfield). But I, personally, play EverQuest because I want to be here. Not because I have been playing for nearly 24 years.

Your statement that OGs aren't returning to EQ is, again, patently false. They are returning today, as they have ever been, with regularity.

EQ is doing quite well despite your mischaracterizations.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Sissruukk like this.
  15. code-zero Augur

The red part is why nothing at all that you said should be taken seriously.

In 1999 when EQ was released the youngest Boomers were all 35 years old. Yeah, 35.

When EQII in 2004 was released the youngest Boomers were 40.

Oh there are Boomers playing till this day but EQ is mostly a Gen X / Millennial game. It always has been and will continue to be that way for a while. Boomers never have been the core constituency of the EQ franchise and they never will be.
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. FranktheBank Augur

Ehh, whether or not actual boomers are the majority playerbase is less relevant than the fact that boomerism has definitely infected the game/company.

Just a bunch of people not wanting the game to be easier or more accessible because
    "its not how it used to be" or whatever stupid excuse they use. The idiots who hated WoW because it's "easy" when they really mean that it doesnt feel like a game that punishes you for playing it.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You sound like a boomer.
  18. code-zero Augur

Boomerism huh? That sounds like something that a guy with TikTok brain would make up
  19. FranktheBank Augur

ok boomer.
    kizant and Retty like this.
  20. code-zero Augur