Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Cicelee Augur

Within three years, if the game is still around, everyone will be a SK/Shaman/Magician/Bard/Ranger/Enchanter combo hybrid class that has over 6 million HP, does 17 million DPS, and will be the second most popular class to a necromancer that does 30 million w/dots...
  2. ForumBoss Augur

If cross-buffing on the same account is such a big balance concern, it could be restricted to only sharing non self-only buffs. There should be no issue with being able to buff yourself with targettable/group buffs you can already get from other players or box accounts.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

Totally agree that I should be able to cast shaman unity on myself, then swap to my paladin and keep shaman buffs - I just don't think its feasible to do on a time crunch.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Gorg00 Augur

Class specific buffs have Target: Self, it might be reasonable to just dispell any self buffs.
    FranktheBank likes this.
  5. kizant Augur

44 pages? You all definitely need to find new personas.
    Tuco, Sancus, Metanis and 3 others like this.
  6. Bernel Augur

If you get to keep buffs, they'd likely have to address the buff level limitation at a minimum. I don't think they'll allow the level 120 buffs from your main be retained when you switch to your level 10 persona. And there's the issue of the number of buff slots being different depending on your levels. I think it will end up being too complicated to share buffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the buffs of each persona were totally separate. When you switch, it works like a shroud. Your current buffs are saved off and you are the persona unbuffed. But with personas, the buffs on the persona would be saved off when you switch back to your main. So I don't think you'll be able to do something like have a warrior main use a druid persona to give the warrior SoW. The druid persona would have their own buff buffer with SoW that doesn't get transferred to the warrior main. If it works like a shroud, one benefit would be that the buffs on your main would not be ticking down while you were in persona form.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

Conversely, Buff level caps are stupid and should go away.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Conversely buffs should just apply level appropriate effects.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It’s wild how the earliest spells use level scaling, but somehow that code can never be reused.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  10. FranktheBank Augur

Why? Just let the levels 10 people have 5k health of whatever. who cares.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

2 reasons

1. Less trivialization
    2. As the player increases in level the buff could go upwards in effect with them until it reaches its max amount.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Isn't that scaling based on the level of the caster and not the person getting the buff?
  13. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Yeah, you’re right. Couldn’t they just swap the scaling to the target?
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

44 pages and not a SINGLE dev has even attempted to chime in to try and tell us exactly WHAT this is supposed to be and how they INTEND for it to work.

Everyone knows there's at least ONE red name, probably more, reading all of this and (hopefully) passing it along to the rest of the team. Which leads me to believe they are scared to death of even giving us the basics of what and how.

I for one would rather they spend their time putting in more missions and just drop the whole AP thing at this point.
    Buds and Metanis like this.
  15. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It’s fascinating they promoted a feature that they clearly have no idea about for an expansion launch 2 months away. I guess they needed something as a selling point.

Edit: No offense to Klanderso, you got dealt a bad hand but I’m confident you can Macgyver you’re way into something good.
  16. Metanis Bad Company

There is an opportunity cost to this AP decision. Somebody, somewhere, thinks it's worth paying. I just do not see how it's going to lead to more subscriptions or expansion sales.

Now a feature like allowing the game to control one of your alt characters as if it's a merc could have resulted in many FTP accounts going Gold. And the coding couldn't have been any more difficult than Personas.
    Buds and Barton like this.
  17. FranktheBank Augur

1. WHY THO? WHY are people trying to not trivialize the leveling process.
  18. kizant Augur

How are you so confused? It's a way to let you play a different class while keeping a lot of the time consuming stuff your character has already earned. The details depend on how difficult it is to implement specific things in the old confusing Everquest code base. Like it or not you often don't know whether something is possible to implement until you try doing it.. but since the game is in continual development the concept and capabilities can just evolve over time. Which is a good thing.

Now, until we have a version of personas to play with we can all go find something fun to do and not worry so much. :D I suggested playing some FFXIV. It's free through the award winning expansion Heavensward!
    code-zero, Moege and Sancus like this.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They said on the beta forums that they aren't ready to release information yet. I assume soon they will though.
  20. Moege Augur

That would cut into my ForumQuest time !
    kizant and Sissruukk like this.