"New UI Engine" What exactly is it?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by WhySoSerious, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Theka Elder

Screw an EQ3 just upgrade EQ to current era and win.
  2. Lodestar The Undefeated

Very odd. I don't see blurry craptastic font listed as one of the commercial middleware's features. That seems to be the only feature I've come across, so I disabled the middleware permanently.
    Tyranthraxus likes this.
  3. Aurelio Elder

You can not disable it. You can choose only between the UI engine now, because the devs let you.

Seems the middleware is used in several games (small and huge) which is a good thing. The EQ devs do not to have to maintain the engine code and new programmers might be already familiar with it. You also could outsource the task to do some UI work.

That the font is blurry has nothing to do with the engine itself only how you use it... The engine is like bricks you could buy to build a wall.

You can do a crappy wall or nice looking one. But if its crappy it has nothing to do with the bricks itself.
    Hopefully the EQ devs can sort it out how to use the engine to make a good looking UI.

If you look at other games, many games use middleware for sound, physics, graphics, etc.

RadTools, Wwise, FMOD, Scaleform, Havok, SpeedTree, Unreal Engine, Unity etc. just to name a few. No need to do everything on your own.
    fransisco likes this.
  4. Lodestar The Undefeated

I'm being facetious and very direct.

I disabled the middleware in the sense of not using the new UI. By doing this, new UI elements and the middleware are not being utilized.

DB needs to get their implementation of it under control so it's legible. Understandable this is not the middleware itself (my being facetious).
  5. Tappin Augur

It's 'exactly' garbage.
  6. uberkingkong Augur

Basically quit because UI

EQ is very old game.
    But will go back EQ2, probably plays WoW.

So comparing EQ to what WoW does, can't do that.
    EQ is old compared to WoW.
    EQ is old compared to EQ2.
    EQ is old compared to FFXIV.

Expects and really into what EQ story is about.
    Thats like expecting to do quests in 2002 in Everquest.

Notice, jumps and immediately notices. OLD game. Just from simple movements. Wow this game is OLD.

This UI have smart features? Like you have a quest, and then do find, you'd think it pretty much knows what you're going to look for like YouTube algorithm? Wrong. EQ just blob of data, figure it out, thats what we did 23 years ago.
    No maps, well figure it out, thats what we did 23 years ago.

3 things actually.
    1. UI is bad, they need to take it serious
    2. If people quit start of game or not even past 30, more of a reason catchup content is needed. Expansion 90% catchup 10% live. Part of the 90% goes into updating movement and what not.
    3. EQ3 game so outdated if doing 1 and 2 take more than a year, more of a reason for EQ3.
    If it take smore than year, what have year after year, expansion after expansion and THIS far behind other games.

Expansion every year, why so far behind? Priorities straight? Short term gains after year, lack of long term vision. Take a loss but in the long works out great.
    90% newplayer expansion polishing/modernizing the game simple movements and such kind of modernization, and take a loss from these old farts getting 10%. Works out in the long run.

Priorities.
    Can't take a loss from old farts from a year due to 10 years of straight up year after year short term gains super reliant on short term now. Sad.
    Priorities.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

It has often been said that EQ is DBG's cash cow, but the money doesn't get reinvested into EQ. Instead it get redistributed amongst the other less popular games. Now, I don't know how true that may or may not be, but it is a speculation on ForumQuest that has been brought up numerous times in the past. So, if this is true, then yes, the priorities have not matched where the money is coming from.
  8. uberkingkong Augur

Yes, and they are investing the game.
    Maybe not as much as they could or they are doing too much.

Other MMORPGs
    they get yearly expansions?

Has EQ missed a yearly expansion.

There is content coming into the game year after year.

Have they been working on balancing priorities and things that the game needs?

Does this game really need more raids? Raids?
    GW2 last 2 expansions, 0 raids.
    Raids isn't a make or break for MMORPGs, now if you force everyone out except for raiders, thats on them. Short term gains year after year.

Long term vision? I'm not asking 1-125. I'm for casual, more relaxed content.
    Fun activities. Modern game.

Other MMORPGs 100+ people events, good rewards.
    Remember open world 100+ people showing to fight a boss, happens in other games.
    Good ol days of EQ. EQ stopped doing, other games HAVE BEEN doing.
  9. Theka Elder

I will say the open world bosses in Wow in the last era i played in were pretty fun. hes got a point there.

I think the problem is the EQ engine might crap its pants with 100 people on screen fighting.
  10. Lodestar The Undefeated

Whoa whoa hold up now. This doesn't look like a fair comparison!

EQ is new compared to Meridian 59.

Meridian 59? Better use of sprites, superior pixelation.
    Fun activities, archaic game. 1996 very old, but then EQ 1999.
    Meridian stopped doing, EQ still doing, other games doing more.
    EQ taking the Meridian cake.
  11. jeskola pheerie

Ji Ham literally said the opposite in a clip from the investors presentation on one of the new Everquest Shows.
  12. Sissruukk Rogue One

That is why I qualified what I said with, "...I don't know how true that may or may not be..."
    My memory isn't what it used to be. It's been a few minutes since I watched that episode of that particular EverQuest Show.
  13. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I heard that Lord of the Rings Online which is owned by Daybreak is also getting a new UI engine in 2024. I wonder if it's the same engine?