He Played EverQuest For 100 Hours - Should You?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The one that got fixed and rereleased? Sure it was buggy on launch and should have been delayed but people are able to jump in and start playing it now without lots of research.
    jeskola likes this.
  2. code-zero Augur

Way back when WoW released I attempted to play and could barely make it past the incredibly ugly character models. Yeah I know that most everyone else liked them but I didn't. I joined an IRC channel for a guild I was interested in joining, they were recruiting and some of my RL friends had joined and I found them to be the most nasty, toxic mammals it had ever been my sorry misfortune to encounter. I didn't go any further and my RL friends all dropped out and told horror stories about WoW.

So should I play 100 hours or WoW and stream about how horrible it is? Nope.

I don't really even see what the point of Josh video is aside from an illustrated discussion of all the things that EQ players always complain about
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. jeskola pheerie

Yeah that's the same game... weak reply, what is your point?
  4. Bernel Augur

One (relatively) low effort thing that might attract newbies is to redo Crescent Reach. It's satisfactory for what it does, but it's nondescript. It doesn't capture the magic of EQ. I'm sure many of us have fond memories of our non-CR home city from back in the day. The cities had an inherent charm and beauty which helped attract us to the game. But CR is pretty boring. Other cities were underground like Kaladim and Ak'Anon, but they didn't seem so bland. Even if they keep they layout the same, do a texture upgrade so it's not just a bland, grey, forgettable city. I don't imagine that too many newbies (or returning players) log in to CR and go "Wow! I want to explore this place!" like they might do in one of the other cities. Having players start in such a dull-looking environment is going to be a strike against the game.
    Rijacki and jeskola like this.
  5. jeskola pheerie

Agreed but I would take this out of CR. The Zone says "hi, this is a zone in a game designed almost as a tutorial". A new set of tutorials tailored to each home city would be great. The idea that CR start will encourage grouping seems to not be working.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. birdsong_pawn Augur

Off-topic at this point, but I was disappointed by this topic: I thought it was about someone who played for 100 consecutive hours.

Pro tip: One should never play EQ for more than 18 hours in a row without a snack or cola beverage.
    Rijacki and jeskola like this.
  7. jeskola pheerie

I think a guy in China literally died doing that years ago.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

9. Sakuraba Augur

Then you missed the point. He was playing from the perspective of a newer player and making a piece detailing if a new player would want to stick around or not based on what one could reasonably accomplish. The video does not offer a clear answer, but instead gives curious viewers a pretty good checklist of what they'll be facing if they DO decide to get their feet wet.

The stories of longtime players might convince someone to look at the game, but the picture they're being offered is entirely different and often times skips over the major faults of both Live and TLP servers as they stand now. So it's a good and valuable thing to have the opposite viewpoint out there.
    jeskola likes this.
  10. jeskola pheerie

11. birdsong_pawn Augur

Oh no. That's very sad. I certainly didn't mean to make light of that.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. Numiko Augur

Would like to point out he was just playing on a Free to Play account, which was why he was talking about "members only" servers and why he seemed unconcerned with AA's and was complaining about the "subscribe now!" screen always popping up.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  13. Krenzin New Member

I understand the point of the video was to act as a new player with no experience, but I feel like very little effort was made to address the main problem he had with the game, that obviously being a lack of people at low levels. He kept saying he wasn't getting the original experience of the social aspect of the game, but he only grouped twice in the video, once being in the tutorial, and then never made another attempt to group. He didn't even keep grouping with that one guy, which he stated was because it didn't feel necessary to group at the time. Why even complain about not being able to group if he's making no effort to do so?

Again I know he was going in as a singular new player, but if he wanted the group social aspect, he couldn't possibly get a friend or two to clown around with? He couldn't have gotten on a discord server or a forum, or just say in chat "Yo I'm youtubin' about EQ, anyone want to join me for 100 hours of newbie playthrough"? It was a constant complaint in that video, but it was like he just went into the game expecting fun to happen *at* him in a 25 year old game. Even at it's peak, you still had to actually interact with people to be able to interact with people, groups didn't just magic into existence, you had to talk to a person and express the desire to form a group, and maybe even continue grouping in the future.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

There's members only servers? yea the popups on subscribe are annoying if you do /ex you auto get there webpage on subscribing. Right now i got 3 full accounts and 3 ftp baz been slow lol. What was the server many yrs ago it was like 50 a month to be on had lots of gm events and such? evades my memory. Think it was Stormhammer.
  15. jeskola pheerie

The guy who died or the 100 hours review guy? Cause free to play is no excuse for playing until you literally die
  16. jeskola pheerie

You are ok homie :)
  17. Randomized Augur

I always find things like this funny. I started WoW in 2008, took a couple year break in 2010, and then played pretty consistently afterwards until about 6 months ago. Was in a few long term raiding guilds, a few family guilds, and spent the last few years (since end of BFA) guildless.

When they implemented their M+ in legion, it was the exact content I was looking for. And that's where I lived. Mostly grouping up with strangers, few pre-made groups. All the hours I logged, all the random people I came across, and in all that time...maybe 4-5 people that actually fit the description of "toxic" that went on the black list.

To each their own, and not saying your experience didn't happen, I've just always found things like that odd.

But here's the issue: he wasn't exactly new to EQ. And he accomplished very little, even in terms of a new player, in those 100 hours. It's like he was purposely trying to dog it down a little and make it seem a bit harder/less accessible than it truly is.

Now I'm not discrediting any of the issues that EQ has and that he may have portrayed. I have my own qualms with EQ. But I do believe a few theatrics were added in on his end. I mean...streaming games is what he does. And when you're not new to a game and you don't break level 35 in 100 hours? Come on now.

I think you need to take away one of those numbers...either one works lol
  18. Burdi Augur

This youtube channel is having a rather large amount of views.
    300k already for that video.
    That is a huge advertisement , even if the review is not overly positive.
    There are people who don’t enjoy Elvis Presley after all!
    But it would be nice if the issues he raised as for providing a more enjoyable experience for new players, could be looked at seriously.
  19. Lilfella Elder

Most of the people bashing the game are the ones who like to brag about never having seen Star Wars or Game of Thrones.

Making fun of other people's hobbies and interests makes you neither edgy nor cool.
    Rijacki likes this.
  20. Windance Augur

Everyone has an agenda.

His seem to be: bash the game, create controversy and make money off you tube.
    code-zero likes this.