He Played EverQuest For 100 Hours - Should You?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

He put in 100 hours to the game, it doesn't matter that it was spread across several characters or on a single one. Not sure why you are focused on that when even if you split it evenly across all those characters it is still a significant amount of time to spend on a game and show little progress.

Everything I have seen about this says he played 100 hours playing Everquest and didn't say he played 100 hours playing a character.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It sounds like the issue you mention here such as not getting gear and I assume spells as well are a bigger issue with the review then nitpicking on how much time he claimed to have spent on it. Though honestly with how much you really need to go out of your way to get gear/spells as you level up that in itself is a problem.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Personally I wish he had gone a bit higher in level to see some of the character progression.

100 hours in the game earns someone the right to think whatever they want to think about the game, IMHO.
    LesserArchi likes this.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

The biggest issue I have with mechanics is that so, so, so many are done without any concept of how the game is currently played (Like the myconid mutiny crystal system, the launch state of mean streets reseting, the pointless waves added to certain fight; shiknar queen and firefall pass). Also the fact that we still have no idea how to see range OR that projected textures are amazingly bad (pit fight and mean streets).
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Comparing leveling from Level 1 and up to Pet battles in WoW is disingenuous and you know it. You're the exact person, he talked about in the video that will say he didn't play the game the right way.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

Correct, you can stumble into max level and trip through like a normal or heroic dungeon. Then you have LFR that you essentially dont even need a working monitor for. While these things are "easy" the biggest thing is that they are easy to understand and built around getting joe blow with his incredible 15 APM speed invested in the game.

While I would like to think EQ could do the same, it would take a DRASTIC mindset change by the devs. It has felt for a while that its us vs them. The bandaid fix would be to extremely steamline and trivialize the leveling process on live to get because into the functional eras when others are.

Which for half the classes becomes "bind all the keys to 1 button and mash that button as fast as possible"
    Barton and Randomized like this.
  7. uberkingkong Augur

Thats how a newplayer plays too.

They don't know every class so a lotta of the time is checking it out.
    They don't know the difference in servers so they have to figure it out.

A good player, they can get the gist of a game pretty quickly and conclude if its worth it or not.
    100 hours was being generous, he was playing to give feedback, and it didn't draw him in.
    He was going to quit at 55 hours. He wanted to quit long ago.

Old game, sure people enjoyed back then times changed, nothing to see, already seen this stuff been through similar things in other games, nothing to see here. But he giving the game 100 hours, thats being generous.

Doesn't take someone whose played a lotta MMORPGs 100 hours to get the gist of the MMORPG.

What some may not know, is he also played EQ2. He seemed more passionate in EQ2. Don't think he gave EQ2 100 hours of his time though, he may have. Would like to know if he thinks EQ2 is better than EQ1. That would shock many of you.
  8. Randomized Augur

?? I never mentioned anything about the acquisition of gear or spells. And if he did in his video, well I didn't watch it. But lack of foresight is on the player not the game. I've never gone camping I'm Canada, but I do know that if I'm going cMpong for 3 days I don't just pack one days worth of supplies.

No, my issue is:

He's played EQ before. I'm damn good at WoW but I can also pretend to be a new person and make the game look horribly bad while showcasing many complaints people have about it while never leveling high enough to group with other players.

All while doing it with 100 hours played.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Lets check that again

Sure looks like you did say that.
  10. Randomized Augur

That wasn't a gripe, nor a mention about gear acquisition. Simply another example of how "100 hours is 100 hours, doesn't matter what you do during that time, 100 hours is all you need for a proper review".
  11. jeskola pheerie

100 hours is excessive for almost all game reviews, but about right for a 25 year-old MMORPG. He should have done half of it on a Heroic character, but I don't think they would have changed the outcome.
  12. Schadenfreude Augur

I'm barely into the video and he seems to think FV is a "members server" (I have no idea what that is) and most players play EQ via Steam so I'm sceptical as to how much research he did.

Edit: skipped right to the end and he doesn't know how the friends list works either - I'm sensing a theme here. He's right about the bombsite that is the default UI but we've been saying that for what seems like decades now.
    code-zero likes this.
  13. jeskola pheerie

Why should he know any of that and have to do research? Install game, launch game should be all that's required. Also Steam is where most PC gamers go in 2023.
  14. Schadenfreude Augur

If he wasn't prepared to do some research or had someone to tell him the absolute basics then the outcome was inevitable.
  15. jeskola pheerie

[IMG]
    Stymie, Marton and Scornfire like this.
  16. jeskola pheerie

17. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

The entire premise of the video was what the game was like to go into blind/without support, and more than fairly depicts the experience
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

You are right. When EQ first came out, we had nothing to help us get around. And look at us 25 years later, still bumbling around acting like we know what we are doing. Anytime a new xpac drops, 90% of us are like:

"Maps! Where's muh maps?!?! Can we pin these maps?!?!"
    "Walkthrough! Where's muh walkthrough?!?! Gawd, there's so many ads on muh walkthrough!!"
  19. jeskola pheerie

Even for EQ vets it seems like we gotta find a way to get map hacks and other crap working before we can play anywhere close to on par with others. Should I deal with all that or just load a game from Steam I can jump right into like Cyberpunk? Cyberpunk has been winning that battle for me lately.
  20. Schadenfreude Augur

Would that be the same Cyberpunk that was so broken on release it was removed from sale?