He Played EverQuest For 100 Hours - Should You?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

the idea is in 100 hours do you decide if you like the game not 100 hours resetting each time you have an issue. It is a fair test and EQ fails it. Doesn't mean EQ is not great for the existing players. Just another reason why new folks are much less likely to try it even if the old graphics are not an issue.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

I will have to disagree with you on your first two bullet points. When EQ came out, many of the people out there were new to gaming and MMOs. Sure, some played MUDs, or even UO. But for myself, I had come from the FPS crowd of Doom and such. My only "background" to MMOs was having played D&D for quite a while. So, EQ took a bunch of us noobs and turned us on to MMORPGs. It was hard, especially considering I played on Tallon Zek until Stromm went live (I thought, hey, I'm good at Doom and Shogo MAD, so I can handle EQ PvP, boy was I wrong). But we did it. WoW came out, though, and took those that wanted to play undead and have a more soloable path.

But back on point. I think that anyone who is willing to put in the effort to learn EQ will be successful at playing it. EQ requires you getting to know people to be successful. I know that is hard, and sometimes people can be tough in GenChat when new/returning players ask questions, but there are folks out there willing to help. I am successful because of my friends and guildmates.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

This is utter twaddle.

EQ still has some of the best implementations of underlying systems to date. Its not aging gracefully anymore, but saying it lacks redeeming qualities is pure nonsense.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

You're right. Advloot is the best loot system. Everything else is trash.
  5. Randomized Augur

This is why context is important. I played EQ for 100 hours vs I played the same 20 hours over and over.i can tell my wife I'm going to play for an hour before u come to bed. She doesn't care that I spent 55 minutes reading character and class and diety descriptions and messing with character appearance for 55 minutes and only experienced 5 minutes of game play, that hour is up. Fair for me to say I experienced 1 hour of gameplay?

So it's not about resetting every time you run into an issue, but pausing timer until you're able to carry on from.when the timer was paused. With the use of tank mercs he should have been able to get to 60-65 (do I have roo high of expectations ? Been so long since I've been truly new to a game) and gotten the first 1000 AAs to start experiencing what the game is actually going to be like. And around level 50-55ish is when I notice players starting to congregate in hot zones.

If you don't like it, you dont like it. I get it. But coming from an open minded take, i feel like level 35 is a bit premature to base a review on for the entire game.

I promise I'm not white knighting for EQ as I'd never recommend this game to anyone I personally know (game is too dated for them to enjoy imho), but I could.make a video about my first 100 hours on my first TLP (mischief) and easy it was and how many groups could.still be found at all these different levels ranges or a video about 100 hours from 85+ or 100+ and how the game has so many QoL changes to make leveling easier from.HAs that offer insane exp and offer the dungeon crawl feeling, to J5 mercs at level 1, and 10s of thousands of AAs for free and groups happening because theres actually people here in this level range and the 120 buffs that trivialize 10-15 levels at a time.

I dunno. I guess I just feel a proper review was cheated by spending 100 hours and only getting to level 35. And thats not the games fault as he's not new to gaming, and I'm sure he's the same guy that played through the tutorial just like a year ago or something. So it can't be entirely unknown to him.

I honestly have no idea why I'm so passionate about thud as i am. I just am
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I joined in the stream towards the end. He seem like he had fun when he was grouping with someone. I told him find a family guild also kept telling him the low levels are boring and get to the higher end. Think he only made like mid 30's at best. He's the kind that shouldnt play eq but wow for his short attention span. I unsubscribed afterwards 100 hrs isnt very much for a big game like everquest.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No matter how you look at it he spent 100 hours on the game and found issues that prevented him from enjoying the game.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It might not be much to an existing player but it is a lot to someone who is trying to start the game from scratch.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Josh has played EQ in the past & has streamed himself playing it prior to this video, but he took the approach a new player would to illustrate the major frustration points a new player would see - and he did a good job of doing that, of putting himself in a new player's shoes despite what he actually knows about the game.

Anyway, my point is - Sidekicking.
    Retty, LesserArchi, Barton and 2 others like this.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Unsubscribed why? Because he tried the game for 100 hours not more?

100 hours is generous, too generous. Doesn't matter if EQ has plethora of zones. Who wants to waste their time going through all of that out of era no one around to play with.

It's actualy playthrough its what newplayers go through, 100 hours and in their 30s.

Veteran knows whats going on knows what to do.
    1 - 60 5 hours for a veteran, know what to do and go do it.

Newbie/Long time returner. you guys just don't understand what they going through, I been saying too much too.

He don't need to play 100 hours, he was gonna quit at 55 hours. He was quitting long before 100 hours, they seen enough.

When your old enough played enough games, you know what it is just from a couple hours, you just know from experience playing many games. He has played many MMOs.

Thing about MMOs too, they are solo focused. YET people group up.
    Win win
    EQ is group focused, and people rarely group.
    Lose lose

You just wont get to know his experience 85-125, i bet it would be really bad, lots of complaints. Can't do squat. 1-75 you can find solo/molo areas. 85-125 every zone and thing starts to become group focused.
    Have you checked LFG, nothing for 1-85.
    NOTHING for 85-125 either for LFG.
    No one LFG.

No one LFG and its a group focused game, making solo play horrible,
    Lose lose lose
    blurpppa and LesserArchi like this.
  11. Randomized Augur

No, its not "however you look at it". Again, context is important. How much weight would my opinion carry if all I did was spend 100 hours doing pet battles and collecting pets and then claiming it's not worth the investment because of that?

I logged 100 hours in from 85+ and grouped with many people, joined a kick -nal guild, did some raiding, and collect an awesome mount along the way. Would definitely recommend investing the time in.

So now how do you listen to? We both obtained about 35 levels each and both put about the same amount of time in. Who do you go with?
    Andarriel likes this.
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Completely different scenario pet battles versus low level gameplay. He gave it an honest review, after 100 hours. Game starts at level 1, not 85+.
  13. Kenderix Lorekeeper

The context is there, it's from the perspective of a new player. He never got to group with many people, join kick- guild or raid because he didn't get that far in his 100 hours.

You're right that he probably did zero research and, as such, may well have missed out on things that would have enhanced his experience. But that isn't a fault on him as a new player, it's a fault on the game for not making those connections as obvious as they should have been.

New people play may well start this game every day but no-one is there to hold their hands, other than the tutorial, and they will almost all stumble and fall away before they ever reach the good parts of EQ.

This forum is full of people asking to make that path easier and this has been one example of someone who gave 100 hours of his time to it and still didn't want to continue.
    LesserArchi and KushallaFV like this.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

The only thing "easier" in WoW than EQ is the leveling, because they actually would like people to play their game.

I partially agree, he seemed to intentionally avoid the later leveling. I'm not really a huge fan of JSH in general, it's kinda like Cohh with lukewarm takes. "EQ is a bad game and especially in regards to new players" is not a groundbreaking revelation.
  15. Randomized Augur

No it's not. You can level via pet battles. You can level killing the same mob over and over again. You can level to max picking flowers.

"Doesn't matter how you look at it", I put 100 hours into the game. Never got gear, died a lot from not having gear, only got to level 33. But got 38,619 flowers! 1/10 would not recommend.

Once a game starts adding skips, they start giving up on that level of content. EQ didn't have a low level community when I left 10 years ago. WoW, while yes it's super easy to level, but I can create a level one character and while I see people AFK in cities, you know how many people I'm going to be able to see running around killing kobolds and collecting candles and am able to group with for quests and story lines? Just me and my lonesome.

So if we're being "honest" with "honest" reviews the game(s) no longer start at level 1. EQ starts at 85 now. Anything prior is just the "extended tutorial with advanced options". And its 100% okay to admit that. 1-60 (even for a new person) doesn't take horribly long. I'm not sure what his gripe about Wizards was? You cast a nuke, tank merc aggressive, by the time the second, third at latest, nuke goes off, tank merc has the thing dead. 20 seconds, 10-15% experience. Repeat 6-10 times (3-5 minutes) and thats a level.

This is just me, but seeing how fast I can potentially level in those low levels would be slightly addicting.

An honest review would be admitting "the low end is dead, like most other MMOs that are 10+ years old that I've played, but heres what I found 50-100 hours in after starting at level 60 (half way)"
    Andarriel likes this.
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

This is a great game, in terms of lore, breadth of content, and most importantly, mechanics.

The problem is horrible and lazy content development, horrible class and pve balance, and performance issues.

I very much enjoy the basic mechanics of the game. I feel it is a shame that the developers either can't or won't take advantage of the game to make good and engaging content.
    Andarriel likes this.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You misread him. He was referencing his friends. All his friends hate the game. But, (IMO) like many others, maybe there isn't really anything "better" out there. Different games, but not the same, flash in the pan games, but anything with staying power isn't really better than EQ anyway, or not enough to give up on this one.
  18. Randomized Augur

Perhaps easy isn't the correct word. More "user friendly"? I was too young when I first started EQ to even make it to level 40 or attempt a raid. I just know that WoW was made/directed towards the more casual, not leet raider crowd. And having played WoW fairly continuously for 10 years straight I'm slightly biased at how easy that game is (gear acquisition is straight forward, in game journal to tell you where and who drops what). Raids were well done (havent raided curre t EQ...ever, so can't speak on that).

So it's not that he didn't do the research, that's not what I'm getting at. I've seen "new/returning" players asking for help or where to go as early as level 15 and people pipe up right away with "family style guild" for the perks of many people in many level ranges with many different mindsets/goals.

As far as holding his hand...WoW didn't do this for people either? Their attempt at a tutorial zone was laughable and didn't really hit any of the points that people who had suggested it mentioned. You just kind of...go. that's part of the MMO experience, learning as you go. But I do agree that thr 1-85 slog is just boring and needs a revamp to, not make it easier, but make it faster or entirely skippable (as I have also made a suggestion or two towards)
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Oh I didn't know this. I will edit my original comment. I thought I heard him say he was "new to EQ". I stand corrected!
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Randomized Augur

For me it's the complexity. Not to be confused with difficulty. Lots of buttons, lots of activation of skills spells and items and a combination of them to be optimal. And I started this game back when I was playing Legen of Legaia on the PS1 and ur was like being able to play that game in real time without the turn based model and so I think it kind of pulls me back every now and then when I hit a lull in gaming.

I like the graphics and combat system and general mechanics of WoW more than EQ. But EQ definitely scratches that itch