Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Gorg00 Augur

Persona Swapping when OOC in any zone, with no cooldown seems perfectly reasonable. Adding weird arbitrary limitations like "POK Only" or massive cooldowns adds nothing of value.
  2. Bernel Augur

That would make it similar to mercs. People with multiple merc slots can swap out which merc they want to use depending on the situation. Even if persona swapping had the extra 5 minute cooldown that swapping mercs does, that seems okay.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

I would totally expect some sort of non-trivial cool down, like maybe 15 or 20 min. Otherwise, you essentially remove campfires from the game:

1. Swap to your druid/wizard persona and port the group near to where you want to be
    2. Swap to your bard toon and give everyone double invis (in case they have to run a zone over or something)
    3. Run the bard (or swap to rogue if something sees through double invis) to where you want to fight
    4. Swap to mage and CoTH group
    5. Bind a toon in a safe spot nearby in case of a wipe (gate in, swap to rogue to drag bodies, swap to cleric to rez, swap to buff toons, med up and get back to it)

Sure, it would make life REALLY easy for a lot of people...which is why it seems 100% out of character for the devs to do it. They generally like to make things harder for players (group players in particular), not eaiser.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This all depends on if you can swap personas in any zone or if you are restricted. The ideas you give are good reason to suggest that you won't be able to freely swap in any zone.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Sounds fair to the people that put in the effort to receive those benefits. I thought this was a game that rewards players for time and effort spent.
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Thinking further on this how is that different then this?

1. Wiz/Druid ports Rogue/rage to zone.
    2. Rogue/Mage run to camp
      1. Rogue drags the Mage if they die.
      2. Rogue rezes the Mage if needed
    3. Wiz/Druid brings the rest of the group to the zone
    4. Mage uses CoH to get the group to the camp
    5. Camp out an alt to rez with a merc as needed.
  7. Tuco Augur

I don't know about y'all but I'm doing some crosstraining for APs by practicing my Mythra / Pyra skills. Mythra for controlling neutral and raising early damage and Pyra to seal the deal with some knockbacks. I expect APs to function the same where I can swap personas instantly in combat. Just swap to my necro persona, load the mob up with DoTs then swap to my mage and start nuking. My pet will ,of course, switch between their skeleton/elemental personas seamlessly.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Swap

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Pyra

[IMG]

(Note: I'm joking)
  8. CdeezNotes Augur

Since when does everyone group/fellowship conveniently have a rogue, mage, druid/Wiz? Of the two I'm in, we have 1 of those total.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not saying that they do but the same can be said for groups/fellowships after personas are launched. Just because they offer them doesn't mean every group/fellowship is going to have someone who levels up a persona for one of these classes.

The point is that all of what was suggested is possible without personas
  10. uberkingkong Augur

New Personas if they are any class any race.
    Defeats the original vision of the game.

Only makes the game more min/max.

Everyone in raid be ogre
    necros are best dps, everyone be necro but the tanks and healers. clerics are best heals, healers be cleric. warriors are best tank tanks be warriors.
    Why are you not an ogre, frontal stun immune change to orge its required.
    Min/max raid game now. Expect to be ogre.

Roleplaying, original vision.
    Alternate Personas. lose lose situation here if any race any class.

Alternate Personas is a raider function to make raids easier than they are already easy. Beaten day 1, now its just easier than easy.

It's not going to make the casual game any different.
    That long xp grind to 125, still there no matter what persona you choose.
    Molo struggles? Still there.

This is just a raider function. End game player.
    Nothing for casual, nothing for newplayer, nothing for returner.

We don't know about personas, so don't assume any race/class, thats just if they do it if they get convinced by certain people to go that route.

Ogre cannot be a druid, thats gamebreaking. They have to break the game to allow that.
    Illusion is an illusion. A player cannot be another race as its main race, thats game breaking.

Lore breaking when you can change main race.
    Lore breaking when you can be an ogre druid.

Breaks the original vision of EQ.
  11. fransisco Augur

Tthreads like this that get really long - the vast majority of the posts are by a couple people who are camping the thread.
    It would be neat if there was an option to filter out the prolific posters, just to see how the conversation goes at that point.
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  12. Tuco Augur

Ignore does this, but unfortunately it doesn't ignore anyone that quotes them, so it makes threads super confusing.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Watch there gonna say you can instant change but you gotta be out of combat! lets see if im right.
    Barton likes this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

Or really funny watching people seemingly argue with the voices in their head. :p
  15. Gorg00 Augur

Change anywhere, as often as you like, but only OOC seems like an extremely reasonable restriction.

The idea that they kill campfires or something is kind of laughable.

Like this:

If bard double invis is good enough to get to where you want to go, then why not just double invis everyone to the fight spot instead of playing silly games with campfires and/or coth?

Or if someone new is coming who happens to be in the fellowship and you're already at the camp, dropping a campfire and having them campfire in is like 5x less effort than having you swap personas to a wizard, go pick them up, swap personas to a bard, run them them, then swap personas to a mage and coth both people there.

(5) is also easy to do now, sans the rogue part, since you can have someone bind nearby, pop a cleric merc and have the cleric merc rez/buff. You don't even need someone to bind nearby if there's a safe place to drop a campfire (which is required for the mage coth trick!) because you can just have the healer in the group campfire back and just rez directly (unless your healer is like.. a beastlord or something), in which case you can just use a healer merc again.

Does it make some edge cases easier? Sure, particularly around things that require a rogue, but I don't think that I've felt a need to use a rogue to get anywhere in this game since bard double invis AA made double invising trivial.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  16. Pops Racer Olde Faht

So, my Warrior main has a "alternate" caster persona that gets leveled up to 10 (or is it 12) to get bind.

I run my Warrior to some non city zone, switch to the caster persona, cast bind, then switch back to warrior. Is my warrior now bound in the non-city zone, or if he dies, does he go back to the last warrior bind point?

If it is the first option, I am all in.
  17. Buds Augur

Well, it would be kinda silly, to have to run your character to POK, then run the alt persona all the way back to where you were camping, then do the opposite if you want to switch back at any point. That is double the work of just running an alt there.

Having set zones, that you can switch personas in, would make it next to worthless. I certainly wouldn't level up a persona, when I already have a ton of alts, if it had those limitations. Having to level up another toon to 125 and max AA for what? Share a few flags? If done right, it could make the game much much more fun. Take out a lot of the frustrating and inconvenient aspects of the game.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

It's also kind of silly that in 25 years, we cant bind melee wherever lol
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is unlikely going to be limited to PoK as it needs to work in zones that are available on TLP servers as this will be open on them. However I don't think they are going to let it be any zones as it can let players get around things that they don't want them to.
  20. Barton The Mischievous

Does no one read discord?

Extra long timers and location requirements or not needed. (imo)
    and would just make the feature less useful for some blegh reason

Code:
    klanderso — 10/20/2023 10:55 AM
    at the moment, it's intended to only be able to create/switch personas
    when you're out of combat and have a fast regen timer.
    one of the goals is to make sure players can't use creating/switching
    a persona as a quick exit in a tough situation
    NOTE: She does say "at the moment"