Melee love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leex, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Leex Pewpewer

Ahem,

Since I am forum banned on my account that actually has access to beta ( and will likely now be banned on this one ) I would like to advocate for those who like to bash, slash, and swing at their enemies.

It is understandable that you as developers of this here game, are challenged by the circumstances you find yourself in however, it IS your duty to your paying customers to ensure the game has standards. You live by this code every time you adjust an ability in a negative way ( which is most of the time ) therefore, I am requesting that you at least attempt to give melee some balance, this beta, and do not put it off until 202x.

Take the time to increase the base damage on melee swings, and either reduce disc timers for the classes that need or potentially increase the % in which said discs modify ones damage output.

In most situations all equal, a caster will dominate melee. This of course, should not be. All damage classes should be within 2%-5% of each other, making everyone feel useful and enable your players to enjoy playing the classes they love, and not the flavor of the month/year(s).

Humbly yours,

A simple Magician.
  2. Zolav Augur

He is not wrong!
    Skuz likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Am I the only person who leapt to the wrong conclusion after reading only the title?
    Metanis and minimind like this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Only until I read your post. Now there are two of us!
    minimind and Nennius like this.
  6. Hegsheoshed Augur

This made me want to listen to Spoiled by your love by Anita Ward and Disco Love by Ian Pooley because it put me in a funk. There is a Fabled weapon that I want to see it have warrior added to the classes and this wasn't about that.
  7. Moege Augur

Thanks for trying unfortunalty that was already answered by a dev. Putting this here for those without beta forum access.
    Crux of the matter is melee are not going to be looked at.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ls-aa-status-thread.292976/
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Forcallen Augur

Melee definitely need some tweaks so single target is competitive but this is mostly disc uptime/reuse. Not giant swings in melee base power.

Melee AE is a different animal. 10-15 minute reuse 42 second duration stuff simply doesn't match a mage hitting 12 mobs at once under burn or a necro dotting 6 mobs, endlessly. At this point like every melee needs a version of Ton Po Stance AA with better numbers. IE 5 minute reuse 60-120s duration repeat primary round AE at something like 50% chance for 70% damage, tweak as needed.

Or stop making every raid event a series of endless mobs and tune single target better.
  9. Goratoar Elder

He's not wrong, but some of the issue might be that if they directly scale melee to be effective on raids, they will become heavily overpowered on sustained group situations. I haven't seen raids yet in LS, but if we continue with the development track of lots of adds, melee will continue to fall behind, especially because monks and rogues are ramming against the crit cap.

Also because of crit cap, in non Auspice+Aid situations, melee are still scaling pretty well, as they aren't capped in just normal non-raid adps setups. Additionally, there's the issue of crit damage stacking, which is prevalent in raids, but not in sustained group situations.

A more nuanced approach is in order for melee, but a decent flat 20% upgrade is also not out of the question in terms of basic balance on both.
  10. Alnitak Augur

Or take a CoV raiding route: a couple of raids in an expansion, which can be quick-burned, like Zlandicar and Sontalak, while some other raids will be arcade-tuned with adds, controlled emotes etc.
    This way both sides will be happier: melee will burn the quick targets and show their prowess, while casters/dotters will thrive on extended script raids.
    Randomized likes this.
  11. Tutankamen Augur

Reverse whatever change was made to Zerkers. It was unnecessary.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It was a fix not a nerf, the problem was the class was given improvements to its other abilities based on how much dps the broken version did and then those abilities were not revisisted & rebalanced to account for that large discrepancy.

However, the "Crit-cap" stagnation due to Berserkers being at the cap for melee crit while the other melee classes continued to close the gap as they were not is also a pretty big part of the story.

But then ALL melee are in a pretty lousy position relative to caster dps right now regardless of the above issues.
    Silvena likes this.
  13. Dixa Augur

endlessly? i had no idea in combat mana regen is that good at end game. it sure ain't in the mid game.
  14. bigpapa Augur

several raids emotes dont help melee as well , paludal raid , we have to move away to not get silenced , ( casters still can range dps ) , darklight , firefall , deepshade .ect.

anyway we can see in raids the lack of : monk, zerker , wizard that should ring a bell to DB class balancing .
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I don't raid, so don't know if this would work, but couldn't they apply a zone-wide buff to melee for raids? That would take care of the raid/group imbalance.

Kinda like they do in TDM/Crypt of Decay. Once you zone in, you get a debuff which caps your HPs at 80%.
  16. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Horrible example, if a pure melee is dodging the silence emote on that raid they are dumb. It prevents maybe 1 or 2 skills.
  17. Moege Augur

Better example is firefall pass, night's death.
    Close the door, constantly moving. zerks cannot use their disc that roots them.
    pit fight root/blind disc are dangerous

most of the raids are not melee friendly with the constant movement, casters mostly stand in one spot.
  18. Dixa Augur

typically in an mmorpg, the dps role that deals with the most punishing mechanics should have the highest dps potential when they can stand still and burn. this is balance.

if melee are that far behind then it should be addressed. however this game isn't known for balancing classes very well.
  19. Forcallen Augur

The end game has stuff that the mid game doesn't?

Believe everyone has access to mod rods, mana potions, mana procs, mana clickies, paragons, quiet miracles, rallying calls, self mana tools, mana prez potions/banner/buffs, unity horn and feather chains, bard songs in group and for raid, enc stuff, sk stuff and playing well to negate/avoid mana drain penalty's wyc.
  20. Marton Augur

Roll a shaman to experience mana bliss ...

Anyway, beta is not over yet so I'm hoping for some melee love this year.
    NatazzEvoli likes this.