Time to get rid of Truebox! Time to evolve

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mr Wonderful, Oct 13, 2023.

1. Mr Wonderful Journeyman

I am almost 50. Been playing this game for 20+ years. Every new TLP I play 3-6 accounts, buy bags for them, buy Krono sometimes.

I will never play this game again until you remove Truebox. I understood the reasoning for it for a long time. However, I don't think those reasons still apply. I won't get into the pros and cons other than to say I believe you are losing money big time by keeping Truebox. Imo, I think it is a big mistake. The last TLP server was my worst experience ever on a TLP.

I will never sub again so long as these new TLP servers are Truebox. I am done messing with multiple computers to play this game. It is 2023 time to evolve. Anyone else feel the same?
    pipedreams3 likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are plenty of servers you can play on that don't have truebox which was added to address complaints about the situation on newer TLP servers.
  3. Mr Wonderful Journeyman

I understand that. However, my point is that the idea of Truebox is antiquated and, imo, costing them money. Listen, I understand I am just one person and losing my buisness means nothing in the short or longterm. At the end of the day, the idea of needing multiple computers is just stupid. This game will always have a special place in my heart but I am fine playing other games. If they drop this stupid Truebox I will most certainly come back. I just refuse to play anymore so long as they have Truebox.

I am sure there are those who do not agree with me. That is ok.
    pipedreams3 likes this.
  4. Ugloth New Member

Patch notes on Test:
    *** Progression Servers ***

- Randomized Old Man McKenzie loot on randomized loot servers.
    - Removed True Box from Mangler, Aradune, Mischief, and Thornblade.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have been lobbying for Truebox to be phased out "at some point" in a TLP server's life-cycle for years along with a whole bunch of other players, but I do still maintain that it has a place in the Pre-DoDH Era of the game, "Magefire" was a giant pile of suck & should never be forgotten about.

Currently the Plan appears to be to hold to Omens Of War being when Relaxed Truebox kicks in, and TBS being when it gets switched off altogether and I am prettty happy with that, I would have preferred relaxed at GoD & off at DoDH but OoW/TBS works well enough - I am genuinely really happy that the devs have turned it off for Mangler, Aradune, Mischief & Thornblade.

It's a pretty decent situation if moving forward TLP generally follow the above pattern for Truebox, Agnarr being excluded as it never reaches OoW I understand though I would prefer they reconsider that eventually.
    Overcast451 and Barton like this.
  6. Themono New Member

Just a suggestion, no one has ever had success starting AND ending a complaint with "I will never use this product/service again".

Another suggestion - Less than half the retail servers have truebox, and most of the ones that do not have it even offer a free to play option. You are not required to truebox or pay a penny to play this game...dont pretend that you are.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How is it antiquated when it was added to TLP servers to counter a perceived problem and nothing has changed that would counter that problem?
  8. Mr Wonderful Journeyman

I am not pretending anything. I am talking specifically about new TLP's. Keep watching the numbers dwindle as more and more people stop playing this game. You all think Truebox builds a better community and makes people play together and I call bs. You all stuck in the past. Wake up! All you defenders of Truebox just want to dominate with your guilds. You don't care about the health of the game or the community.

Truebox is absolutely stupid. And yes, I will not spend another cent on this game, specifically on new TLP's. I don't want to play on live servers or old TLP servers. The thing that kept me playing has been the release of new TLP's. But I am just over having to use multiple comps to play a 20+ year old game. I am over it. I would guess I am not the only one either.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Truebox is not entirely stupid, it simply has to be used for the right expansions/era.

Ragefire with no Truebox & no Instanced Raids prior to Plane of Time was an absolute nightmare thanks to the volume of Mage Armies decimating everything & ruining the experience for most other players, that is why it was created, as were Agents of Change.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Herf Augur

Never forget! :)
    OldTimeEQ1 and Skuz like this.
  11. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

In Oakwynd, SG main pick had 57 anon, non guilded chars for hours today. Was amusing to watch. So many truebox players stuck on main instance during way off peak hours!!!
  12. Montag Augur

Removing truebox in LDoN would be great. Protects the nostalgia era and might help keep the population up after PoP. And would be great for Agnarr.
  13. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

I still have nights I wake with cold sweats.
    Skuz and Herf like this.
  14. Brazy Augur

Early TLP without Truebox would be madness. The amount of multi boxers would be wayy higher. I normally do 6 w/ my guild and I'm sure all of us would be doing 30+ if there was no Truebox, lol. I think how it is now and relax truebox coming out in PoP is prolly the way to do it.
  15. Brazy Augur

100%. Relaxed true box was a great compromise.
    Vewdue and Skuz like this.
  16. MMOer Augur

I agree, lets get rid of Truebox!!! Why is boxing allowed at all? Just remove all Boxing. IP exempt like the private servers do and police it hard.

Why do you think a with worse quality of life are so popular? no boxers ruining the game.
    Player need to play with other players to progress.

Let boxing in when mercenaries come in.
  17. Dixa Augur

get rid of the need for boxing at all by balancing the classes properly, rolling AA passives into them naturally, level and aa squishing ffs this game is getting absurd it's ui is worse than eve online at 120 with all the crap on screen.
  18. Vewdue Elder

Lots of things have changed that counter the same problem Truebox was meant to solve. The main reason they added Truebox was to counter bot armies locking down high value targets. We now have Instanced Raids for all of the raid mobs. We now have Pick Zones so multiple group zones can be spun up. They even have Random Loot now, to further prevent people from locking down high value group targets.

I can see why they still want to keep it at least for the first couple expansions. No one wants to see bot armies with all of the previous stigma regarding them. But honestly, with as many changes as they've implemented since Truebox was added, it really doesn't serve much purpose now. So what if someone wants to spin up a giant bot army and farm raid instances or slaughter a zone, everyone else still has equal access to the raid instances and pick zones now a days.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Truebox wasn't designed just to deal with bot armies taking on open world raid targets and they have setup a method to slowly relax and remove it from servers.
  20. Xhartor Augur

Aradune and Rizlona were released and were a good example of the player base thoughts on True Box. Aradune was the more popular server for the first year or so. However attrition over time hit Aradune a lot harder then Rizlona. Hence having true box at the start, with a phase out plan is good idea (which they currently have).

As for why the population is seems to be lower on each new TLP.
    • Saturation: Not everyone Recycles, each TLP has carried a community of player long term. Mangler has steadily been holding a larger player then previous base TLP's. Mischief is blowing Mangler out of the water as it goes.
    • Krono Farmers: The volume of people who hit up new TLP's to farm krono get larger each cycle. They bring a toxic element that drives players away.
    Brontus likes this.