Diablo 4 does this better than EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Oct 6, 2023.

1. uberkingkong Augur

Diablo 4 they made a billion dollars.
    They got 10 million plus players that they can potentially bring back

But what they do better than EQ is simple.

Gear
    Naturally getting gear in Diablo4
    I'll be lvl 56, time I get to 57, I am fully geared and ready, if I leveled naturally, from playing the game.

EQ
    Not naturally getting in EQ, its 95% going to the bazaar because I'm not seeing squat naturally. Theres just enough tiers, the lowest tier is rare enough.
    I'll be lvl 111, naturally get to 115. Most likely overseered majority (95% no joke, its so bad, I can't do those missions that give 20% or so xp, so I'm screwed) of the xp.
    I'll be killing stuff but stuff I can handle and I won't see any upgrades from that.
    I'm not able to beat those nameds
    I'm not able to do those missions that give rewards
    Solo tasks don't give me rewards

Even lower levels, the gear is from going to bazaar because I'm not naturally getting gear. This is like 90 to end game. Gear isn't naturally exception RoF. Gear upgrades = goto the bazaar because its not naturally dropping not even cruddy versions, there is no cruddy version tier.

I'm not asking for the best the best gear.
    But something, Tier .5 gear at least, upgrade is upgrade.

But EQ, no, you just don't get upgrades from naturally playing the game.

EQ naturally the game, is bad when it comes to gear. Early game, classic its good, you'll naturally get better gear.

But the way they do these past 10 expansions. 100% focused on end game players, same motto playstyle. nameds and missions.

Not so much RoF style, which is a good system, good system EQ just doesn't do though.

EQ when it comes to gear, casually playing. This game is hot garbage, Diablo 4 owns EQ hard in this category.

Not even a cruddy lvl 115 gear drop or solo quest reward, no nothing.
    I blame whoever is feeding these thought process people information on how the expansions should be.

If its raiders, believe me, they know nothing about new/returning catchup players what are they thinking, their struggles, challenges they are facing.
    This ToV/CoV ToL/NoS system this isn't it, they didn't find the secret sauce, you found something awhile ago but you went crazy some other direction.

This game is a hot mess in direction.
    New/return catchup players they remember EQ a certain way and this game, hot mess that direction. Hot mess this other direction. Think we found the direction. Nah this direction is dead wrong. ToV/CoV, ToL/NoS this isn't EQ vibe I remember.

Diablo 4
    Common, Magic, Rare, Legendary, Unique.
    All of these drop a lot, rare gear thats upgrade, naturally get these, its not the best though.

EQ its
    T1 T2 T3 group/raid
    Your not seeing any common gear, your not seeing any magic gear
    every gear is rare. Can you do those nameds, can you do that group mission? In these old expansions? By yourself?

Original EQ
    Crushbone orc
    yep that legionarre belt is an upgrade give it to me.
    Yep that kobold trash drop is an upgrade give it to me.

The past 10 years of EQ
    No upgrades, you don't kill any nameds no group missions, thats where the upgrades are. You can't do those?
    Consider boxing.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

D4 loot is so terrible and bland, one of the worst features of a game built around loot.

Honestly, the most surprising fact is that an AI content detector determined this to be 100% written by a human.
    Nennius and Sissruukk like this.
  3. Warpeace Augur

Diablo 4's loot system is terrible.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

Also, Diablo 4 was basically a huge flop as far as player retention. It got utterly decimated by BG3's release.
  5. Wildeone New Member

Has this guy never got an Aug to drop?
  6. Kenderix Lorekeeper

To be fair, I do kinda see where he is coming from. All of my upgrades for the past few expansions have been the bazaar-bought stuff simply because the better gear is behind progression / group content. I'm max in all my TS, but can't make any of the TS gear as you need one No Trade item from a named for each piece.

At least with D4, you get a chance at legendary gear off random mobs - a bit like our chase gear I would have thought?

However, I do think comparing the loot system in EQ with Diablo or any other ARPG where loot just falls from the sky is a tad far.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

I doubt this guy got out of the n00bie tutorial, and just likes complaining.
    Aanuvane and Nennius like this.
  8. Ythera Augur

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the equipment in EQ is even more bland than this. Each expansion, the equipment has like 5-10% more stats. There's not really any meaningful choices to be made in gearing. Stats like resistances don't really matter after you hit max- the numbers just keep getting bigger, but they don't actually lend to any higher benefit. The benefit of the other stats are so subtle.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

But we're comparing to an ARPG, where the concept is to build a character a 1000 different ways. D4 is just Crit Chance %, +Crit Damage, and +Vulnerable Damage %, and Cooldown Reduction. Those have random rolls in a set range. The other stats like Increased Damage to Frozen, Increased Damage to Chilled, Cold Damage Increase, Increased Damage to Crowd Controlled Enemies don't really add much at all. Just fluff stats.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Comparing bland loot in one game to bland loot in another game?
  11. Randomized Augur

Well, first and foremost, this:

You're comparing UNO to Monopoly and calling them the same because they both have cards in them.

Also:
    D4 is no different. Get a piece of gear from a Nightmare 50 run, get the same piece from a Nughmate 55 run, it just had barely noticeably better stats. Same as EQ.

I also got a https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=126303 from dinking around in Lcea while leveling (made me make a Ranger so i could use it). Dropped from a random Drogbar

Not to mention this back in Shards Landing when I was doing some quests and he popped from doing kill quests: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=108474

Not to mention a full set of: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=Paragon's plate for simply questing and filling out checkmarks on the achievements tab

Now I'm not sure what you consider "natural", but killing mobs and doing quests seems pretty natural to me[/quote]
  12. Shakara Augur

EQ has an okay system of loot acquisition but I could defiantly see it being a bit better. EQ's loot problem is there is no choices. despite them adding 100s of items every expansion they never give the gear stat profiles or even make the stats something people can build their characters around. I assume its because they just lack the ability to do the math and test things properly and recycling stats in an algorithm cuts down on a lot of work.
  13. Scila Augur

And again ... you do comprehend that what makes each game, including EQ, unique are the differences not the cookie cutter make everything the same
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I remember playing Diablo II. Was in a group and a guy said hey, look at your CD tray ... ( it opened )
    the driver for my cd player corrupted, I did not know anything about PC's back then, and had to take my AMD 3000 tower back to Circuit City (which they didn't know how to fix it) and refund it. It was 5 days old.
    Duping SOJ's..
    Go play your Diablo.
    Moo out of EQ. Moo moo moo mooo.. moo, moomooo moo (here is the door)
  15. Zipe The Healer

Wtf is this . Stop feeding the trolls, you trolls! :=)
  16. brickz Augur

D4 is almost as bad as the threads you make
  17. uberkingkong Augur

[/quote]

Laugh at Diablo 4 if you want, but point is they made billions.
    They got 10 million plus players they can bring back quickly if they do something amazing too. Unlike EQ.

They beat EQ for like 100s of years and they don't have anything, 100 years ahead of EQ in profits.

Diablo 4
    Early game is fun and interesting

EQ Early game today on Live, dead
    Even late game is pretty dead unless you join a guild

Not everyone is proactive, tries hard to get groups formed, and not antisocial so don't expect that to happen.

and the gear, well after 111 the gear is saving plat to run to the bazaar to get your upgrades because gear doesn't come naturally.
    Theres just not enough options, not enough there.

You can keep those nameds and those group missions giving those gear, but besides that, why is there way to get upgrades?

Nameds and Group Missions they require people.
    Your doing old content, theres no people. See the issue?
    Lvl 107.
    Goto the bazaar and get your upgrades, not naturally obtained.
    Leveled a bit more? Go back to the bazaar. Upgrade every single item.
    It's not like I'm missing 2 slots, its every item that needs a big upgrade because this game's gear system is not good.

It's basically you use this or that, thats it, thats your choices. And your going to need a group to get them, theres no solo and good group finders to help you get on a course to get upgraded gear.
    TBL/ToV/CoV/ToL/NoS system thats a bad gear system. RoF system is better.
    Diablo 4 system is better.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

So, go play your beloved D4, or FFXIV, or whatever game you are comparing EQ to, and leave us old folks alone. You know, get off my lawn type of thing.
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

From what I hear, D4 is pretty awful and so many players already are done with it. It's a disaster

D2R is the best version of Diablo. And it's not particularly close.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

I'd play EQ2 but maps is garbage and they don't invest in PvP. It's a good system but when people doing the game are in waterfall methodology rather AGILE, they just don't have the right tweaks that would make go from 19 out of 100 to 89 out of 100 fun factor.

Speaking of EQ and EQ2, maps, EQ2 is a lot but still have this unavailable map thing.
    Lack of interactivity, seeing enemies on the maps, seeing allies on the map.
    People using those cheats they can sure see that though, which is more common than you think.

But speaking of maps and got me thinking of another thing Diablo4 does better.

MOUNTS

Diablo 4 mounts are pretty copypasta from GW2, somewhat.

Yes Diablo4 mount is not very good but it does 1 thing I like.
    You get on the mount, enemies take a lot to aggro you, they ignore pretty much.

Fast travel, EQ doesn't have.

Was thinking mounts
    EQ could do a zone guide and you get your mount and it does automovement to the zone you're wanting to goto. Come back after like 10 minutes and autotravel feature got you to a zone.
    GW2 taxi

There is so much EQ could do but, you know what.
    Past 10 years. They've done nothing.
    Could could could could could
    10 years later
    nothing.

emotes, ships, autotravel, roleplaying stuff, this and that this and that

fast travel/taxi

ship to ship combat, ships