30th expansion raids NEED to be harder

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Tacoheals TACOBELL !!!!

Does it prolong expac. yes, however can't beat all the raids after the first month of release anyway. would have to get 12 flags and typically would take a month or so to get said 12 flags to move to T2, so in theory it's the same concept except we don't have to wait for daybroke to tell us that it unlocks at 1:00pm EST and every server gets a different time it unlocks, or different servers get terrible lag etc.
  2. FranktheBank Augur

Incorrect. Blizzard can (sometimes) do this, but Blizzard, with their piles of money and legion of devs still absolutely butchers raids. Which you would know if you knew literally anything about anything, but instead you choose to continue to blab nonsense.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I always love these threads. It always highlights how terrible and unfun raiding can be. It’s such a low participation portion of the game that takes up too much resources and attention. I’m glad, they keep leaning towards easier. It’s a big, social event and I wish they’d just remove the raid cap.
    Marton and Nennius like this.
  4. NatazzEvoli Elder

I came to read this thread to get a bunch of buzz words regarding a PMP study guide... was not disappointed.
    Jennre likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That makes no sense, the current unlock periods are faster then they used to be when it would take beating each raid multiple times in order to unlock access to the next set of raids.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Raids that most guilds gave up on because they don't like beating their head on a raid that they can't beat?
  7. Ozon Augur

Fleiss is in top 3 guild, in fact he raids an insane amount, and in fact is a fantastic mage (stupid amounts of DPS), in addition to his other toons. Pretty sure he knows the difference between top 3 and everyone else.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Dixa Augur

look - if raids are being tested on a test server pubically, then the top players are going to find them too easy. they are launching in a "solved" status.

one of the best ways to introduce challenge for people on day 1 of a new expansion is for the raids to be tested internally like FFXIV. nobody knows what they will get when their raids launch. However, ffxiv also presents different tiers of difficulty of each raid and that is likely something EQ needs to start addressing for modern mmorpgs.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If they had a large enough team to do that I am sure they would.
  10. Slasher Augur

yawn again lets cater to the minority and see how that plays out. We have proof making stuff harder DOES NOT retain players. Ignore these 1%s because they wont have a game to play when the rest quit.
  11. Tacoheals TACOBELL !!!!

The whole point of the final raid being super hard in example to meratas is so that it is a challenge. People who raid want the challenge; they enjoy the tougher content. Group content is a complete joke. When you can max everything in 4 days what kind of fun is group content. All a lot of Top 5 raiders look for is raid content. Making 1 raid VERY difficult is not going to ruin the entire community. And if "most" guilds would like to give up they are not end game players. Raiding isn't for these casual guilds it's for people who want to exceed the minimal aspect of the game..
  12. Randomized Augur

That's the funny part. The OP doesn't raid. I don't know if he ever has. He's admitted that it took him a year+ to hit max level (which is strange since you can do the last 20 levels via Overseer in just 6 months)

So why are they advocating for harder raids when they struggle to just level up? Seems the game is plenty hard enough for them as is
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Except Solomon's Key. Level 41 of that game defeated 12 year old me. :oops:
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think mearatas is a bad example since much of the difficulty was from lag and thats not something we want to encourage.
    Yinla and Kaenneth like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

I loved Mearatas. I loved the difficulty, the challenge. Sounds like you do as well. Seems like there are quite a few others in the top 5/10 guilds that also think like us.

However, for every one of us there are 5-10 who disagree. Who enjoy defeating content, not wiping to it for three months straight. Who come to a game to win and accomplish things, not coming to a game and wiping repeatedly. And when 80-90% of your raiding population want to be able to defeat all raids within the first couple of tries, then a Mearatas is not feasible anymore. Because those 80-90% are paying subs like us, and represent the majority of income compared to the 10-20% of us
    Yinla and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't want to make it so hard that guilds stop trying to complete it. There needs to be a balance of difficulty and the ability of more guilds to complete it. If the top guilds are struggling on it that means the lower guilds won't have a chance and will likely give up on it. There is no point in making raids that only a handful of guilds will beat or continue to attempt when a single raid makes up 11% of total raids in an expansion.

If this was more like the past when we had 3 tiers of raids with 9 raids in each tier having a couple of raids with more extreme difficulty would be different but as it is we only have 9 raids each expansion and raiders want to get the most out of all of them.
  17. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I loved the raid, but not so much for it being difficult. I really loved the different aspects of the raid that gave every member in the raid multiple roles, and kept them involved.
    Syylke_EMarr and Svann2 like this.
  18. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Respectively speaking: You kind of read that wrong.

You should update your magelo :)
  19. fransisco Augur

doesnt this just mean everyone would wait for 6 month then get the new guild banners to power them up and make it a cake walk?
  20. Maedhros High King

A big problem is that making "hard" raids usually means tying a guilds success on to the skills and reaction times of the worst player in the guild.
    This is not hard. It is frustrating.
    Hard does not equal frustrating.

We have these discussions all the time and a few good ideas are usually drowned out under the weight of so much stunning ignorance or arrogance.

The problem is easy to me.
    Make the final raid have significant personal penalties.
    You fail an emote and your corpse gets thrown in a dungeon with a massive DOT and you die out of rez range and cause a death add.
    No zoning/bannering in while the event is active, and no Call of the hero.

This provides a personal motivator to each person to not mess up.
    This does not unduly ruin the raid for everyone else because one person failed an emote.

Death adds should be requisite on the final event of an expansion.
    During the first month after T3 launch, death adds are extreme.
    Each month after that the death adds get easier to handle.

This is has built in scaling that allows the guilds that beat the initial launch version to retain their bragging rights and then eventually allows most guilds to beat it.
    There has never been, nor should there be, any implied ability for any and every raid force to beat the final boss event of an expansion. You should earn it.