Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Cadira Augur

Don't engage him.
  2. WeCameWeConquered Elder

I guess that depends at where you are in the game (and if this feature is limited or open to all level ranges). For much of EQ though, it is indeed the case.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Agreed. Hopefully the gear will sit in a magical dimension not taking up inventory space. But I also seem to recall something about new bags. Would not surprise me if they brought out larger inventory bags for sale banking on folks wanting more storage space (assuming the gear has to be carried around).

But before others get angry with me I will admit I have no idea how it will actually work but I am wondering these things.
  4. Riou EQResource

It is likely more like the Bandolier system but for all the equip slots so you likely do need the inventory storage

You would need up to 10ish slots per class unless they make more gear all/all or more archtype based
  5. uberkingkong Augur

They have a system already in place. has a lot of dust.
    Shrouds.

When you go from normal to Shroud, your inventory changes yes?
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

I don't...and that's my point.

Something like this, assuming it actually is what we think it is, WOULD make things fun for a whole lot of people. I for one would LOVE not having to redo flags or tradeskill stuff for every toon on the account. Lots of people would really enjoy this.

Which is 100% the exact OPPOSITE of every design decision every EQ dev has ever made since the beginning of time. They have always hated players, especially casual players, and have done everything they can to make a whole lot of things as miserable as possible with pointless time and plat sinks. Whenever they DID put in QoL changes, it always felt like they did so with a gun to their collective heads. Now, suddenly, they're just gonna put something in the game that would benefit everyone and *gasp* make things fun? Absor's head is gonna explode.

I'm not against this at all. I'm just saying that it seems to be a reversal of the philosophy they've had for more than 2 decades.

Again, that's assuming this is what we all THINK it is. We don't know yet. Personally, I'm sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop and we learn EXACTLY what it is/does.
  7. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

a rogue Persona will be a great second for a Mage; slip into the camp, swap over, then COTH the rest of the group. Or anyone just has to reach 50 something to be able to COTH.

wizard port to the continent, bard run to the dungeon, rogue to the camp.

Also, if Persona doesn't include a race shift option, what would happen to incompatible personas if a marketplace race change is used?
    WeCameWeConquered and Tucoh like this.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

If this ends up being like the DCUO multi-class system, I'm going to be ultra-stoked.
  9. blurpppa New Member

Does anyone playing EQ1 in 2023 actually true box and have issues finding certain classes to group with and this can be useful for them? Its been 15 years since I last saw a player like that.

For everyone else this seems like a system that took development time away from every other aspect of the game.
    Metanis likes this.
  10. Swiss Augur

I don't know what server you are on but groups/raids constantly need certain roles filled. I don't know how many will choose to play the needed roles as their secondary "persona" but at least it will be an option with a lower hurdle and count towards your main in some ways. Also the idea just seems fun if done right, it is a game after all so adding fun would be a bonus.

Not every new thing will work out but this one at least seems to have potential from the idea based on the one sentence and UI files in this thread lol. Other games have had variations that all worked well and made their games better, FFXIV being the best at it.
  11. Chorus Augur

this entire thread reminds me of the merc discussions before they had AA/Gear. What everyone wanted was a fully kitted secondary toon that they could gear up with current content gear, abilities, etc that they didn't have to manually control.....what we got barely functions the past several expansions and more and more people don't use them at all if they have the ability to box. I sorta see this going the same direction as that whole debacle did :p
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And they specifically said you keep your inventory with the new system
  13. uberkingkong Augur

They need to ask the community.
    So, who do you think benefits from this.
    End game players.

Then thought process people, huh, we were thinking something totally else.
    New/Returning players.
    No, benefits for them.

Your lvl 70 super far behind.
    Personas is not going to help the fact your still far behind.

Boxers are not going to all sudden, lets put ourselves in LFG
    End game players are not going to all sudden "I'm gonna go LFG at lvl 70"

Boom 2 hours lvl 100. Boom 2 days later lvl 120.
    New/Returner they don't level as fast as been here forever players do.

Being able to play a different class, that isn't exciting news for newplayer, they always could play another class, they probably other classes before. Its 20 years, you think they haven't tried another class.
    Lujack Dhrakoth likes this.
  14. DeadRagarr Augur

Prolly would work like:

Create class -> Enter a character creation -> Create a character -> Level 1 rouge is selectable -> Select level 1 rogue -> You are now Level 1 rogue <Some Cool downs may apply>.

Players that buy UBER DELUX COLLECTIONS BIG EDITION get X4 PERSONA SLOT TOKENS. Persona slot tokens cost "X" in marketplace.

Dunno if account wide or character specific though. Prolly account wide I assume.
  15. Zeelot Elder

That is only if the non visibles don't have type 3 augs slotted. There is no easy way to remove these without a perfected distiller or need to re-buy them all. So without an entirely separate set of gear, it will costs hundreds of thousands of pp each time someone switches plus the inconvenience of having to rebuy augs.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That only matters if you continue to use them and want to farm the extra gear.
  17. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

They should look at eliminating lockout timers on missions. Having someone swap from a dps to healer or tank persona is something to be encouraged, and lockout timers are going to detract from that positive impact.
  18. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Seems like a lot of effort to implement a system for what's basically just an alt with benefits. Would like to see at least the ability for AA exp to be shared, that way class swapping doesn't feel like you're throwing away playtime that could be spent improving your main. And hopefully nothing creeps in that boosts your main for maxxing out personas, like an Artisan's Prize for leveling every class, since feeling obligated to level every class sounds like anti-fun.
  19. Moege Augur

Oh my did not even think of blocked spells.

Now what about saved spellsets... tribute ...
  20. Metanis Bad Company

It would be interesting to know who at DBG thinks this is a good idea. And also what problem they think they are solving with this "feature". I hate to be overly pessimistic but it's hard to forget Overseer.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.