Are SK's usefull at LvL 90-100? How do they match up for DPS

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Nick, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Nick Elder

Hello all!!! I haven't played in a couple years now, but I'm wondering how SK's do at LvL 90-100?

At LvL 75-80 if I wasn't tanking I can remember feeling not as efficient as other classes... We slacked wayyy behind on dps and my main role was as a off-tank. Have we got any dps boosts besides HT?

How do SK's match up for DPS? If I remember correctly rogues wizards zerkers all dominated dps
  2. silku Augur

Sk's shouldn't be looking to do dps, they should be looking to maintain aggro (or as an offtank to keep their aggro immediately behind the main tank.) They still are not going to be doing dps. They are masters of aggro though in my experience. Especially when you're talking multiple mobs.
  3. Nick Elder

So I'll be pretty useless to join a guild already loaded with tanks lolz. Dam looks like I have some work to do!
  4. Jefferz Elder

I've seen some pretty decent Sk parses, relatively speaking of course, from raid burn mobs but as other people have said dps really isn't an SK role.
  5. Filatal Augur

Depends on what you want from the game.

Just grouping? SK's are highly valuable as a group tank. Their agro is, in general, the best in the game. It allows dps classes really open up.

High end raiding? SK's are a valuable in an off tank role on adds and as a main assist when plowing through adds.

Casual guild raiding an expansion or two back content? Sk's can generally MT these once they have some of the newer AA, levels, and gear.

While they can, in most situations, out dps the other tanks ( pal/war ), they are not and should never be considered in a dps role. That's the role of squishy people.
  6. Retrievil Elder

If you count the damage they do while swarming, SKs could be the highest dps class in the game. They dont do so well against a single target though.
  7. JERUS Augur

Absolutly Not. While you're not a DPS class a well played Sk can do respectable DPS. Personally people in my guild often push to have SK in our dps groups for the epic alone. "you mean the more dps I do the more healing I get, yes I want this" is the attitude we have:D.

That being said Elidroth isn't wrong, you're a tank. You're going to do like half the DPS as a dps class would. The quick AE agro is huge though. Personally I love having knights around.

If the guild you're looking at is sitting people on the bench every raid, yeah might not be a great addition, if it's not, you're going to be helpful.
  8. Nick Elder

Thank you for the detailed feedback :) helps alot!! Looks like I'll be catching up on some levels/AAs and looking for a proper guild
  9. Crystilla Augur

Note, this doesn't discuss group makeup, any specials used, etc. and this is a mix of various mobs with different effects that are good/bad somewhat for general parsing. Sometimes an SK was with a bard, usually not. But gives a pretty good idea of the range (at least in my guild's raids) where an SK tends to fall both DPS wise and rank wise. You should see a bit of a trend or two.

Lord Feshlak on 1/13/2013 - 1092119 DPS, 214 second fight
    - Top 5 were: Ranger - 63151 / Rogue - 57408 / Ranger - 55086 / Necro+pets - 54876 / Mage+pets (app) - 51186
    - 1st SK was in 26th place with 19593 DPS
    - 2nd SK was in 31st place with 12020 DPS

Lady Mirenilla on 1/8/2013 - 870824 DPS, 254 second fight
    - Top 5 were: Ranger - 48152 / Mage+pets - 48089 / Necro - 47130 / Ranger+pets - 42674 / Zerker - 42204
    - SK was in 22nd place with 15298 DPS

Lord Koi`Doken on 1/8/2013 - 595269 DPS / 374 second fight
    - Top DPS did 37640.
    - SK came in 22nd with 10782 DPS

Herald of Oseka (Sep 2) on 1/11/2013 - 924177 DPS, 141 second fight
    - Top 3 DPS (all 50k+ DPS) = ranger (58021), beastlord, monk
    - 1st SK was in 23rd place with 14086 DPS
    - 2nd SK was in 30th place with 8838 DPS (wasn't active on the mob the entire time for some reason)

Dagarn the Destroyer on 1/13/2013 - 927174 DPS, 277 second fight
    - Top DPS did 51145 DPS.
    - Sk was in 22nd place with 16660 DPS

Lord Kreizenn on 1/13/2013 - 465728 DPS, 440 second fight
    - Top DPS did 31603
    - SK was in 16th place with 13769 DPS

Lady Mirenilla on 1/13/2013 - 855813 DPS, 264 second fight
    - Top DPS did 47639 (8 people did 40-48k DPS range)
    - SK was in 16th place with 21474 DPS
    Nick likes this.
  10. Talif Augur

You guys have some seriously slacking casters Crystilla =x
  11. Crystilla Augur

Not so much the point of the discussion :p . Though as a non top edge guild, support classes (bard/shaman) are in short supply sometimes and rotating membership (most guilds know the drill).

But someone mentioned SK's tended to be only be half the top (actual/true DPS classes) so I wanted to actually put numbers around that in case hitting 20k is still something desirable for the OP as a decent number.
  12. Pizacatto - CT Augur

Hey, I guess they're right. Shadowknights, although slow and dangerous as a main tank, can still serve a purpose. I'll be right back. Don't you go dying on me!
  13. Axxius Augur

Well duh! If they don't need any more tanks, and you are a tank - c'est la vie. If a guild recruits an SK not to tank but to dps mobs - they are not a very good guild, are they? :D
  14. Nick Elder

Thank you for the numbers Crystilla that was exactly what I was looking for :)
  15. Nick Elder

I was hoping SK might have some kind of a DPS boost at LvL 90-100 because after 3 years non active im obviously far too behind to tank. but that's already been answered and clearly they havent. I'm probably a couple thousand AA's behind and have gear from LvL 80 lol. The chances of progressing my SK at this point are slim but I might look into that progression server
  16. Axxius Augur

'Too far behind' is true for dps just as well. If you lack the AA from the last 4 expansions - you are too far behind for any role in a current raid.

Good news is that catching up has never been as easy as it is now. Group T2 RoF gear is on par with medium tier VoA raid gear. RoF T1 raid gear is not exactly hard to get (see new NToV). And there are so many ridiculuously easy ways to get AA, in addition to just killing easy mobs in T1 zones. Depending on your play style, you can grind 2000 AA in anywhere between 1 week and 1 month.
  17. Gnomeland Augur

I do think SKs need to be higher on the DPS list. Their edge on paladins was their DPS, no?
    Nick likes this.
  18. Kurayami Augur

That would be nice for sure, make more sense from an RP standpoint. At least a lot more sense than, through deep hatred and dark powers, SKs derive their pulling utility tools. Not that I'd ever want to give those up, but we should hurt a lot more than paladins...
    Nick likes this.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Sad no wizards on the list :(
  20. Crystilla Augur

I got a bit lazy in separating out who and what classes were the top dps. Took too long to do on the first two and ultimately said doesn't matter who it was, just where the position of SK was to the top. So tried to streamline a bit. We did have casters in/near the top on several of these.

But lately we only average 2 or 3 wizards max on raids.