Who are the Real EQ Veterans?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Cicelee Augur

We are in the Veterans Lounge. But have you ever wondered how many of us are actual true veterans of the game? Who have been around for years, decades? Maybe yes, maybe no. In any event, this fun thread is a place to sound off for those who have been with the game for the majority of its time. While many parameters can be placed on what defines a "EQ Veteran", let's keep it simple to two criteria-

1. You birthday must be 20 years or earlier, in this case your character's birthday must be September 27, 2003 or before
    2. You must be level 120

I have two characters that qualify- my main magician, born 2-9-00... and my alt monk, born 2-15-01 (the same day I got a Fungi Tunic from Seb, which back in the day magicians that got a Fungi Tunic automatically made a monk alt)

I understand this excludes those who main a beastlord or berserker. If you have a 120 of either of them that is your main but you have been playing EQ for over two decades, feel free to post your oldest born character as well as if you have the beastlord or berserker at 120.

This is meant for fun, and to see how many "EQ veterans" there are on ForumQuest. Thanks to all us old people that reply!
  2. Rylak Elder

Huh? BST existed before your date of 9/27/2003. Had to check on zerker and they were Feb 2004, couldn't remember.
  3. Szilent Augur

Sure, but only noobs or fetishists played Bst before Underfoot
    Sancus, Rylak and Nennius like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

2 that qualify

Yinla - Wizzy - 27th January 2001 - just after the launch of Velious
    Mudie - Beastlord - 11th December 2001 - Just after the launch of Luclin
    Cicelee likes this.
  5. Cicelee Augur

My apologies, I thought beastlord was after. Forgive me ForumQuest!

Doesn't take away from the spirit of the thread...
    Nennius likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

nm smh

Maybe this will clarify: I have a character whose birthdate is March 2000. I have done nothing on him for over 20 years. Last week I paid someone to PL him to 120 so now he is a veteran having only played 1 week.

whatever
    jeskola and Metanis like this.
  7. code-zero Augur

Oh no, absolutely they should be level 120. If you can't manage to hit 120 while playing even the most casual of casual then you aren't really playing at all
    Metanis, Ozon and Cicelee like this.
  8. Cicelee Augur

The assumption that I made with a level 120 is that you are active with the character, you are playing the character, and a presumption that you are current with the character. I mean, I have a character or two on other servers that are level 75 that were created before 2003. Doesn't mean I do anything with them. Hard for me to call that character a "EQ veteran" per se.

Conversely I have an alt box bard, level 120, max AA, close to max raid gear, who was created like 4 years ago. I don't consider that character a "EQ veteran".

Finally, I stated (and you quoted) that there are a lot of parameters that could define what an "EQ veteran" is. If you want to make a thread where the only requirement is a birthday before 9-27-03, go for it! I just wanted a thread where the belief is that these players have been playing their character every year, every expansion, for over two decades. Yes it is an assumption, but I think it is more a reality than not.

Sad that only one response actually posted their characters. Hopefully more will jump on and share their age!
  9. DruidCT Augur

May 14, 2000 Druid (now 120) started with Kunark, first time I had seen Everquest in the stores. I've quit 3 or 4 times for long and short periods. Am in another return after a 1 year hiatus due to computer problems that I just didn't have time to deal with. Despite all the flack Druids get I still love my main. I also play a 120 Warrior that is a lot of fun and a Bard. But the Druid gets all the love.
  10. kizant Augur

If you started after beta in 1998 then you are definitely an EQ newbie.
  11. atchoom Lorekeeper

main shaman since 1999 , always played him since then. and level 120.
    sept , 15 , 1999 .
    24 years, { 487 norrathian time }.
    entitled account is 26 years . 77 days , ** i was paying for 2 years sub at 1st **.
    longest time away from the game was 5 months , then another 2 months .
    i didn't take any EQ break since 15 years or so,

i got another account who is at entitled 26 years and 85 days ( was my son account )
    24 years ,and 490 norrathian time .
    he don't play since about 18 years tho,
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

I started playing after I got out of prison in 2000. My P.O. thought it would be therapeutic for me to hack and slash in-game instead of in the real world.

Level 120 Paladin Born September 2000

And other Overseer enhanced level 120 characters too numerous to remember off hand. All born after the cutoff date. I was very late to boxing. Thus I am a slacker in yet another area.
    alanus and Metanis like this.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Tatanka, 120 Wood Elf Druid, rolled 8/29/2000, the night I installed EQ.

Have played about 11 years, 8 months of that 23 years, so JUST over half, having taken ~13 breaks over those years. Currently been playing 3.5 years without a break, my longest streak by far. Which happens to coincide with when Overseer was introduced. So, if you love to hate on Overseer, it's gotten more $$$ to EQ from me than in any time in the past ;)

I have 5 other 120s, but all are newer than 20 years (2006, 2018, 3x2021) and are the result of boxing. One other char over 20 years with appreciable levels, but at 116 currently.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Fun thread.

May 5, 2000 - Warrior
    May 22, 2001 - Enchanter
    October 30, 2001 - Monk
    January 30, 2001 - Bard

What a time it's been. :)
  15. fransisco Augur

The real veterans played before kunark.
    Metanis, CatsPaws and Revolio like this.
  16. Kialya Keeping your butt alive since 2002

Over 20 years playing a cleric. Back when your gear stayed on your corpse when you died, you had to mem staring at your spellbook and had to have guildies/friends protect you while you medded, when the bazaar was "Torch 3" - that kind of old!
    Metanis and Nennius like this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Or you had to learn to "tick-med" ;)
  18. Randomized Augur

I still do this >.< lol
    Tatanka likes this.
  19. Revolio New Member

Level 120 bard, Born July 26th, 1999. He was my 2nd character but he's the oldest I have anymore. Still play him today!
    Metanis and code-zero like this.
  20. eqgamer Augur

31 May 99 and still have the manastone I found lying on the ground in Feerrott - what's that purple cone looking like thing lying there? This was two weeks prior to the hate/fear manastone nerf.
    Metanis likes this.