EQ on the ROG Ally

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Captain Video Augur

I like this a lot better than the Steam Deck version. The setup was straightforward. I downloaded the Steam client, went to the WIndows desktop to download and run MS' dxsetup.exe (necessary for the inexplicably-missing DX9 piece in the Steam install), and then added the following command-line parameter in the Steam launch options (also necessary on the Deck):

%command% --disable-gpu

My big problem with EQ on the Deck was simply the lack of UI real estate, The Ally moves this up to 1920x1080, which was my standard game mode many years ago, and I can basically re-adapt. (I'm normally used to 2560x1440 on the big screen, and 2736x1824 on the Surface Pros.) There are a couple of minor quirks:

The right trigger on the controller maps to the left mouse button, and vice versa. I haven't yet decided whether or not I want to rebind this.

Touching the screen during gameplay, either accidently or on purpose, does wonky things to the camera, and it's necessary to go to the virtual keyboard and use some F9's to get things back to where I want them. Incidental screen touches on any handheld device can be an annoyance.

Right now I'm only trying this out with a starter toon on the Test server. I'm not considering using the device as another box, but I can see how other people might try that.
    Hobitses likes this.
  2. Yoda Journeyman

I know this post if several months old but I did not have to use that disable gpu command on my Ally to play. Just on the Steam Deck I believe.
  3. Captain Video Augur

This is correct. The Rog Ally is running vanilla Windows 11, whereas the Steam Deck is running a variant of Linux. The --disable-gpu command-line option is also necessary if you're running EQ via Crossover on a Mac.