Does unchecking the 'use new ui engine' checkbox actually do anything ?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Angahran, Aug 18, 2023.

1. Angahran Augur

Was his checkbox simply added to make people feel better ?

Why are there so many UI issues since the last patch regardless of if this checkbox is selected ?
    Why does NOT using the new UI apparently still cause so many issues ?
  2. Riou EQResource

It does what it says it does, yes, you have to reload the client for it to take effect though
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Checkbox is just to make box-checker happy, all dem ticks have to go somewhere to feed.

Smart people know to reset pc after box checked though.
    code-zero and Metanis like this.
  4. Angahran Augur

If it actually disables the new engine why do we still have all these flickers and duplicated icons, etc ?

And yes, I restarted the client after checking the box.
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. klanderso Developer

The reason for the flickering is because it's a problem that had to be solved on both sides. That's the complication of having two UI engines to support. It's hard to get a good balance between the two, especially when one is brand new and still needs some love.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

Maybe get a complete, fully working new UI BEFORE introducing it to Live so you don't have to worry about running/supporting 2 UIs at the same time?
    Appren, Fenthen and Yinla like this.
  7. Herf Augur

Nahhhh :)
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

[IMG]
    Bobbybick, minimind, Fenthen and 3 others like this.
  9. Angahran Augur

So the checkbox to turn off the new UI engine doesn't simply turn off the new UI engine and revert back to the old, working, UI ?
    Mikana, Yinla and Fenthen like this.
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

This UI thing is worse than it was last week, which was already in a terribly bad state. You need to roll it back to March.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Mikana Augur

This. I thought the purpose of the tickbox would be to completely disable the new engine, and just use the original as it was working fine in March of this year.
    Is that not the case?
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Dewd Master

Using the eqclient UseNewUIEngine=0 I have noticed an incredible performance increase on all of my machines, older machines and newer machines. The client loads faster, zones faster, and when you close the game it takes less time to return to desktop. Everything works better, and I have zero issues with missing icons or anything. THANK you for adding this option, and I can only pray that it remains an option even when the new UI is finished being developed.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

On the other hand, months ago when they sent out the broken UI thankfully Emilari posted the fix so I switched back to the original UI using that.

Since this last patch I also have noticed a huge improvement on zoning, moving and just all over performance but I have not used the new fix.

So it seems to me its not "usenewengine" that is doing this but something else they improved upon.
  14. Dewd Master

I used the "fix" as well, and that still had elements of the UI loaded, it was an improvement, but it was not a solution.

I toggled between the two options since patch, it is absolutely the usenewengine that is giving me the beyond noticeable results.
  15. xaga Elder

i will confirm this to be true -- Huge thank you -- noticeable is a understatement
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Having an option to uncheck "Use New UI Engine " is an improvement so I disagree with your first part of the statement.
    Before agreeing with the second part...
    I have to ask, what exactly does the "NEW" offer over the "Old"?
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

I can also confirm that putting that line in the file sped things up for me...like things were before they launched this craptastic new UI.

If the tradeoff for letting a few people using 4k monitors scale a couple of windows by making everything else slow, then I don't want that tradeoff. I'd rather they just stop development on this new UI and put the time and resources into other, more important things.

This seems more and more like yet another dev vanity project than an actual game improvement.
    Fenthen and Yinla like this.
  18. Fenanebae Terrwyn Lorekeeper

If only we got listened to on Test server with all these complaints we had. Nope.

Why even have test server then? Get rid of it. Pointless if we test and then do not even look at our test data.
    Mikana, Herf and CatsPaws like this.
  19. Fenanebae Terrwyn Lorekeeper

This had to be solved on two different UI engines?

Solved what? I just see it eithier getting worse or new problems coming up. It is not solved at all.
  20. Angahran Augur

Why did anything need to be 'solved' (it wasn't) on the old UI ? The old UI works (or at least it did!)
    Now, with this option to 'remove' the new UI, neither work!
    1. the new UI has not been fixed.
    2. the old UI, which was working, is now broken!
    Iven and CatsPaws like this.