Quest overlay - one character

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zarcal, Aug 16, 2023.

1. zarcal Elder

On one of my characters (on one account) the quest overlay is not persistent. I'm sure i pressed something in a near death experience but i cannot figure out what it is. If anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate it.

I can go to Quests->Quest overlay and it comes back so not a show stopper just annoying.
    Kukaw and Knifen like this.
  2. Tintaglia Elder

Look in the Quests section after hitting the EQ button. I can't remember the exact path, as the game is down, but that's your fix.
  3. Knifen Augur

Mine has been doing this for a bit too, so annoying to have to keep going to eq button to bring the overlay back up.
  4. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Does your quest window share hotkeys with something else? I shared the quest tasks window and my quest rewards window as one key, so I can toggle them on/off as needed.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

It may have "Esc to close" enabled by default, so if you are using Esc or addidentally hitting Esc you could be closing it.

If your ini has for some reason gone read only, then it cant save changes.

Do you have whatever the auto show or auto add option enabled for the quest overlay?
  6. Rezod21 New Member

I had this same problem on one character. You need to modify your UI_charname_server.ini file, find the [TaskOverlayWnd] section and change the Show=1

From my file
    [TaskOverlayWnd]
    INIVersion=1
    FirstTimeAlert=0
    DBGTint.red=255
    DBGTint.green=255
    DBGTint.blue=255
    Border=1
    ClickThrough=1
    Escapable=0
    RestoreYPosWindowed=15
    RestoreWidthWindowed=265
    RestoreHeightWindowed=200
    HeightWindowed=200
    Alpha=255
    Duration=500
    Locked=0
    XPosWindowed=16
    WidthWindowed=423
    YPosWindowed=8
    RestoreXPosWindowed=121
    FadeToAlpha=0
    Fades=1
    BGTint.red=255
    BGType=1
    BGTint.blue=255
    Delay=500
    BGTint.green=255
    Show=1
    Knifen, Dre. and Kukaw like this.
  7. demi Augur

I know its a pain, but to ease the irritation you could set up a hot key to bring the quest overlay up .. so if it is gone when you zone or log in just hit a key or combo of keys and it pops up again.. im not in game atm but i think mine is set as CNTRL-Q ..

also what soulbanshee said . make sure esc to close is not marked on the window .. there are a few windows i always make sure to turn off esc to close ..
    Quest Window
    Overlay Window
    Maps
    Tribute
    Friends
    guild
    ACH window
    Overseer
    I usually have all those windows up but minimized so i can use them whenever ..
    Dre. likes this.
  8. Kukaw Augur

This has been happening to me too, starting a couple of weeks ago.
    You're right, it isn't game breaking, but it is annoying.
    My other toon on my boxed account is fine tho (different comp, I'm on Mischief)..
    I will check if it is all the toons on my main account, or just the one char when the game comes back up today.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

The overlay options are per install, so if you are turning off auto add overlay on one character, its turning it off for all your characters in that folder.
  10. zarcal Elder

Thank you all will try all
  11. Kukaw Augur

This fixed it it...Thank You!

I wonder why it changed in the first place; I've never messed with that file before.
    It just stopped showing up automatically after July's patch.
    Rezod21 likes this.
  12. zarcal Elder

Mine was set to 0 as well and it fixed it for me.
    Thanks!
    Rezod21 likes this.
  13. Soulbanshee Augur

Thats how every window open/closed is controlled. If you log out with a window open it sets Show=1, if you log out with a window closed it sets Show=0. Any window change you make in game will be saved out to the ini when you log out. Theres a few ways a window could get closed in game.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sorry for the late reply, was out of town for a few days....

If you set it to display, and then next time you log in, it's disappeared again, it may be another issue (or, how to fix it, actually). When you bring the window back up, you ARE changing it to SHOW=1, but, if you don't log out "nicely", that setting never gets saved. If you are logging out by "/camp desktop", offline trader, or "/exit", the setting never get saved. You have to camp to char select (just "/camp"), and then the settings will be saved.