If we dont have micro transactions we have no expansions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Highwizard, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Highwizard Augur

Prove me wrong. The community here is small it is not like the new AAA titles that get millions of new players on launch day.

Edit: we do not get NEW expansions.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

False.

I buy expansions I don't by Station Cash to use in the store.
    Angahran and Nennius like this.
  3. 6502 Lorekeeper

Not sure what you mean. Yeah, EQ has a lot less players than a modern AAA MMO. The development cost of the expansions is also a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the cost of, say, Dragonflight. Unless there's something horribly wrong going on at DBG I can guarantee you that box sales alone more than cover the development costs of the expansions.

Now if you're arguing that without the cash shop EQ as a whole wouldn't be profitable enough for Enad Global 7 to continue actively developing, then maybe? I doubt anyone here has access to relevant numbers to opine on it.

What's up with all the hypothetical threads lately, though? The chance of the cash shop being removed from the game is effectively 0 so why speculate one what would happen if it were?
    Highwizard likes this.
  4. Highwizard Augur

Thats why I made my topic im like, this is EQ not really a place to be an "activist" in regard to micro transactions. You said exactly what I was trying to say the big company would likely stop developing the game.
  5. Scila Augur

If it wasn't making a profit selling xpacs and on subs, there would be no EQ.
    Andarriel likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It's easier to just ignore you.

And I'm another one who hasn't spent cash to buy DBC (Station Cash, whatever) in years. Last time was when they offered the 3-for-1 Station Cash deals, which is what, 10-12 years now?

LOL, this month was only the first time I spent the 500 free they give you on one of the special offers that pop up. I figured over 25K DBC that I'm not likely to ever spend is probably enough ;)
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

The only time I ever actually buy DBC is when I have a cash back card from something, and there are a few bucks left on it right before it expires...just so it doesn't go to waste.

Otherwise, the 500 DBC a month I get is more than enough for me.
  8. Brontus EQ Player Activist

EQ TLP players are subsidizing EQ live players. TLP players have to pay for an All Access Pass, buy most of the krono and buy most of the pots in the cash shop. EQ live players get all the attention from the devs and all the goodies. TLP players get stale pre-existing content and precious little support from our esteemed devs. Devs would rather work on EQ live because they get to pad their resume with more titles. EQ would have died a long time ago with TLP servers. Change my mind. :)
    Strawberry likes this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Totally disagree that live get all the attention. Look at how many things have been changed due to TLP players. Illusion thru doors, the Postmaster's challenge, AOC, faster experience rate. There is not one change that was created just for TLP that the players on live asked for or wanted. But they happened because TLP are the favorite son. After all she with the big sword plays on them.

And those servers have a huge GM presence which we seldom if ever see on Live servers

The TLP are just that Time Locked Progression which means you will have pre-existing content since if they made new content it would not be "Time Locked"
  10. Marton Augur

Hahaha, sure.

If by 'all the goodies' you meant all the nerfs Live got, then you would be correct.
    Bobokin likes this.
  11. Strawberry Augur

A disproportionate amount of development goes towards high-end raiding expansions that cater to 1 or 2 guilds per server. Guilds hanging by a thread that struggle to even yield 54 players.

It makes absolutely no sense to dedicate so much of the limited resources to high-end zones that are deserted after 2 days, and raids that cater to literally a few dozen player per server.

TLP subsidizes all of this but doesn't see any return on investment, which makes absolutely no sense. Resources should be going to improve the game, UI, TLP experience, etc. Not towards expansions used by a tiny dwindling fraction of the game's population.
    Brontus likes this.
  12. Triconx Augur

False. There are way more than 1-2 guilds per server. There are casual guilds, open raids, join guild raids, etc who all do current content. Current content is more accessible and open to all than ever before and people are taking advantage. If you aren't knowledgeable of current game content, just don't say anything. You won't embarrass yourself.

A vast majority of content in each expansion is group content. What are you even talking about? Live gets maybe 9 raids to do per year that can be cleared in a single night of raiding. You think that's too much when there are dozens of group/solo-based quests, dozens of nameds, etc all focused around the masses and not the raiders?

There's a ton of ROI back into TLPs. You putting blinders on and ignoring it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In the last few years alone, TLPs have gotten super unique and creative server rulesets such a Mischief, Vaniki, Oakwynd. Half of each monthly patch is catering to TLP servers while there still remains unfinished, or non-working, portions of the current live expansion. How do you explain that? Does it not meet your agenda so you pretend it doesn't happen?
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Falls in the same category as the OP's "Prove me wrong" ;)
    Brontus likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The OPs statement is possiblly true but only if the DB store sales are vital to EQ staying afloat in my opinion. I dont think DB uses the store to fund expansions per se. But as far as the DB store sales help EQ in making a profit and therefore help the overall profits of the game it could be said they help keep EQ going. Thing is the same could be said about anything that contributes a significant income stream to EQ.

I think we can definitely say that the DB store it one portion of the game that helps the overall income generated by the game.

If DB decides its no longer profitable to make expansions they won't make expansions. That decision could still be exclusive of the DB store.
    Highwizard likes this.
  15. Highwizard Augur

This post was in response to someone complaining about micro transactions, same person also claims that expansions are only made for high end raiders...... cannot take that person serious.

Also if you do not like micro transactions do not buy them its really that simple.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Highwizard Augur

You have no ideal what your talking about, and as for your micro transactions we do not live in some fairy tale world you wish we did. Life costs money and you wont change that.

Dont like micro transactions dont buy them, do not want a sub? Make platt in game and buy Krono. Its that simple.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Take a cold shower and cool off before hitting reply, it's a video game, not a war. You don't get the right to blast off at forum users because they don't share your idea on microtransactions.

Most gamers do not see microtransactions in a positive light. Most gamers do not share your views. Neither do I.

There's plenty of ways to generate money for a game without resorting to predatory mechanics and unregulated gambling.

I don't think "Krono", being traded on shady websides is a great way for Daybreak to make money either. Daybreak should not be flirting with an industry of tax evading farmers who are basically criminals.
  18. Highwizard Augur

Whos most gamers? The 800k on BG3? If your fake " most" gamers was true, then companies would not make money from this.

I tell you what while you're complaining to complain I am going to go buy something in the DB store maybe buy some KR.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Daybreak isn't "flirting" with any industry. LOL. They're the sellers of the initial Krono, every single time. That's the only sale of the Krono that matters to them. That's like blaming the auto makers for used car sales by shady car dealers.
  20. Strawberry Augur

If all the cars you sold ended up on a shady underground tax evading circuit, I'm sure some questions would be asked too. Let's not pretend like these Krono aren't ending up in shady hands. You can find out who runs these sites by going through the web hosting data, they're shady people.