ESWS's highly detailed study of class popularity on [Agnarr]

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EastSideWestSide, Jun 26, 2023.

1. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Over the years of coming back to Agnarr and searching the forums I've run across threads, even once made one of my own, asking what classes are popular or what classes are needed or what classes are strongest/weakest in-era relative to others.

So over the weeks I've been back this time I tried to informally, I don't have access to numbers from the 4 big guilds for example, tried to see what was common and what was rare on Agnarr permaset to it's PoP/LDoN meta.

The results of my madness follow...

-----

Classes listed in order within their category

Very Common Classes (Can't swing a dead Kerran without hitting one. Except Monk, a.k.a. PoK SB's homies)

1) Bard

2) Monk

3) Enchanter

4) Cleric

... this tier was solidly the top 4, no individual time was any lower than 5

Common Classes (many were on every time I checked)

5) Shaman

6) Warrior

7) Druid

8) Rogue

9) Shadow Knight

... Rogue was an outlier. Two specifics times there were a TON on. A gaggle of Rogues? A murder of Rogues (ba dum bum... pun!)? Whatever you call it. Might belong one tier below above Magician/Paladin.

Less Common Classes (A few on every time but only sporadically were several on)

10-11) (tie) Magician, Paladin

12) Ranger

Rare Classes (was not uncommon to have < 3 on, usually < 5 even counting 40+)

13) Beastlord

14) Necromancer

15) Wizard

16) (Honorable Mention) Berzerker. If you know you know.

... Necromancer and Wizard were solidly the bottom two. Neither was ever above the bottom 4 and 75%+ of the time they made up the bottom 2.

-----

FAQ's...

Why won't you release exact numbers from your searches?
    Because if my numbers showed 1,000 active players or 100 or 10 active players specifically, someone, no matter what they showed, would invariably use them to come on here and say Agnarr is dead. Agnarr to me is like an ex that slightly annoys me but also has big boobs and isn't too fat. We all know I'm going to eventually come back to her unless something better comes along and I don't want her too upset at me.

How do we know your numbers are accurate?
    Your mom thinks my numbers are accurate.

How do we even know you did this sober?
    Oh sweet summer child. I play a 25 year old PC game on a server set to 20 years ago and I play mostly solo despite/because being 3-4 years of progress behind the majority of players on it. You think I'm ever NOT drunk when I play?

No really, I read this far, what was your methodology.
    I did /who all for classes across several days, took about 5 minutes to search/count all of them each time, those days were spread apart across about 3 weeks, including one xp holiday, tried to time searches mostly when at least one of the big four guilds was doing something, but made sure to do it a few times on their off times since not everyone plays with them. Boxers and buff accounts might throw some numbers off (prob. no coincidence the classes that can sit in PoK and hit buffs every few hours were top) but most people can curve for that on their own reading what I got.
    I also only counted levels 60+. While that's not perfect it seemed like a good cut off to eliminate alts or people trying Agnarr that won't stay. None of my toons are currently over 55 and I usually have /rp or /anon on so my own presence didn't skew the results.

How can we thank you for your hard work?
    You probably can't. I'm like Batman, I definitely have issues, what I do would best be done by more qualified people using the same time and money producing better more accurate results, but if I did end up stumbling into helping you here or just gave you something to read while you pooped, sat waiting in a dentists office, road a train, whatever, your thanks isn't needed.
    Overcast451 likes this.
  2. modsiw Augur

There’s a person boxing an army of rogues.

Yes, seriously.

No, I don’t know why.
    EastSideWestSide likes this.
  3. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

:eek: What?!?

That actually sounds kind of cool in a way though, I wonder what the sustained DPS of that is like or how the positioning works boxing that. Are they 65 yet?

I'm going to chalk that up to one of the more endearing quirks to playing on Agnarr, people pulling stunts like that. If the mountain is there on the server, someone either climbed it or someone's gonna climb it eventually.
  4. Fluid Augur

I'm not a committed Agnarr player, but it is a good server. What you see can be explained by the good graces that goes on. Everyone goes to the Soulbinder to get buffed. Runs every day AFAIK. Cleric and Enchanter buffs for everyone. So you have the three of the best buffing classes and a couple of classes that benefit most from buffs in the top tier.

My main on Agnarr is a Magician. It is a tough class to play there and they aren't good at buffing. I can see why there aren't more of them.

I've got to say it has the most cooperative play of any server. Easiest place to get buffed by a high level character in the game. Almost like "What do you do when you reach 65? Go to PoK and buff everyone!"
  5. 6502 Lorekeeper

Weird, I remember parsing really well on raids with my mage back in PoP on Mangler, would think they'd be more popular. Then again MotM was super frustrating and raiding was like playing chicken with an invisible threat meter. Also iirc a lot of LDoN bosses sucked, either reflecting or resisting your best nukes. If you're going to be stuck in that era forever maybe it does make more sense to play a less situational class.
  6. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Across 3 MMO's I still visit, across 9 servers (3 EQ), I'd say Agnarr is definitely the friendliest/most mature EQ one and I'd probably put it at #2 of the 9 across all 3 games.

I use to agree with this but I did notice, and unsure why, a drastic drop in this during this last two months or so I played (I think my playtime hasn't officially run out but haven't had a chance to log in to check this week, can't be more than a day or two left). Probably asked 30-40 times across various days and hours, tried to always give 5-15 min for replies, and I think maybe 10 or 12 times I ever got buffed. That might just be bad luck on my part though. I ended up just doing krono to get plat to buy a ton of potions. Although if you stay near the SB you can still count on like Dena's.

I was curious about that to, awhile back before this even, why I wasn't seeing more. I was maining one too (kind of still am but without a 65 on Agnarr yet not sure I can call anything a "main") and asked a high level Magician player who'd helped me. They said at the highest levels Enchanters are such top dogs Agnarr era, so better at solo and buffing, close enough DPS to not matter, a lot of Magicians they started with switched over the years. Also said that's why so few Wizards.
  7. Fluid Augur

Just opinion of course. There are still a few weenies. Someone was asking for Dena so I gave them one from my Druid who wasn't/isn't 65. Not 10 seconds later they clicked the buff off and started asking for it again, their name was still in my target window from the invite. I guess a ~6 hour run speed buff that persists through death wasn't good enough for them if it didn't come from a level 65. I think I saw one person there, at the soul binder asking for buff when I started and 10 hours later when I went back to log off, they were still begging. Takes all kinds. :)

Magician get out of the gate fast, but their pets really lag behind as they level. Something like your level 60 pet is 12 levels below you which is on a bull. If you don't have your focus items, you suck hard from level 50 up. Entire time, your pet is worthless, you're pretty worthless too. Someone was selling pet toys there like the Muzzle and Belt for 75pp! I think another player got upset with the ripoff so they started selling them for 5 or 10pp. Still a good shard. I may level up there a bit this week. I really don't like my $45/month buys me the right to only use one account at a time which is something FTP don't have to put up with on Live servers.

Of course I have Rizlona and I am happy there. Thing is, I also like the mad rush during a new TLP introduction. I haven't been able to do it my way since Rizlona.

The AFK level 20-40 sellers on Oakwynd kind of get to me after a while.

[IMG]
  8. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

That's oddly picky. Weird. I took Beastlord buffs the other week and some high level Ranger buffs today. Damn sure better than nothing.

This one I might get. They may have not been doing it the whole time. Some of my toons, if I can't find groups they're exponentially better soloing with buffs. No group? I'll try and get buffs, if no one is doing them I'll give up and play a toon that needs buffs less instead of having crazy downtime. A few hours later, try again on the one I originally wanted to play. To an outside person might look like I was still asking 4 or 5 hours later but it wasn't continuous.

My main issue has been the virtually no CC. No snare, limited root or stun with pets. I get why people don't truly consider Magicians a solo class, even if they have the strongest non-charmed pet. Also makes me see why Enchanters outnumber the other 3 cloth casters combined most the time, being able to control the pace of a fight is huge.

Been wondering if there are any clicky items Magicians can get to snare or root?

Know exactly who you're referring to. He's often the only game in town if you want pet weapons/gear. His market seems to be other high level players, it's an old server with a lot of 65's with bunches of AA and plat to burn. I get it, he's trying to make his product Lexus not Ford. Sucks but I get it. At least there's usually some to buy if you really need them, the belt for the HP in particular. He's selling 5-6 days a week from what I can tell. Better pricey than none.

Still glad for that other dudes selling them time to time for prices I can afford though. Made leveling on pet classes so much more bearable there.

Yup. I can't believe I did it but I'm subscribed for one more month now. I met some good folks the last few days, enjoyed some groups, didn't want to stop yesterday. I'll have no time after this week but screw it, the XP bonus makes just this week worth it.
  9. Panikker Elder

Agnarr should be free to play by now.
  10. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Disagree.

Agnarr has 4 raiding guilds, occasional pick up raids, it doesn't 'need' more players for the content it's meant for to be enjoyed so no reason to lower the standards for that. 1-25/30 is cake to solo once you hit PoP era/PoK books, easier on Agnarr because so many dirt cheap items on the bazaar for leveling toons, by 30-35 partners/groups start forming regularly in places like Dreadlands, Gunthak, Velks, and buffs aren't uncommon at PoK SB and last hours, so doesn't need more players for leveling no reasons to lower the bar there.

Who it does have on the server, the maturity and quality of player and general positive attitude, fewer BS players and play styles, is partially because of gating by paid membership.

If you don't like 2002-2003 era EQ enough to pay (a month) less than 2 or 3 drinks (in a night out) costs, then it probably wasn't ever the right server for you anyway.