Revisit Early Paladin

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trey, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Trey Elder

I think this class should get a bit of a face lift. It's constantly being trashed on b/c it's buffs are weaker version of cleric buffs, and b/c the paladin comes with these low-tier buffs they're not able to provide the dps it's mirror class the SK can.

Design wise, I get it. But, why can't Paladin's have their buff's stack with cleric buffs instead?
    Please consider changing this class to provide some incentive for people to play this class instead of just leaving it underwhelming and a bottom-tier choice for people who like the idea of playing a holy knight?
  2. Leifer Augur

Decrease the cast time of the stun lines, and give them a splash type heal/cure at level 50.
    EastSideWestSide likes this.
  3. TacoTime! Journeyman

Cease and Desist just need to be added to classic and Paladins would be fixed for TLPs IMO.

I love Paladins once C&D are a thing in SoL, but they're so lacking until then.
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is just P99 Purist bait.
    Xhartor likes this.
  5. kenmei Augur

low level paladins can go camp their ghoulbane and be gods til 50. no other class has that advantage.
  6. Kirab Lorekeeper

Paladins do need a minor rework, they suffer on TLPs in the low game and on live in the high game.

Its kind of crazy that SKs handily out heal paladins , when paladin self heals are supposed to be a big part of the draw to play a paladin.

I think getting self heal procs in line with SK tap process, that maybe eventually evolve to splash heal procs would help thier group image.

As well as making cease and desist base game instead of luclin would help a lot on TLPs.

And finally maybe craft thier undead nuke line to work vs living but at reduced damage, with bonus hate attached. Like the SK spear line. Fast cast DMG+threat would help some and give them a way to do some more damage so they aren't so far behind.
    EastSideWestSide likes this.
  7. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Always felt their undead only proc's should be able to do a little damage, even if just 1/4 or 1/3, hell 1/10, to non-undead. Also agreed wouldn't have hurt to give them some Paladin only buff across all eras that stacked with other classes, even if just minor. They always seemed to have a lot more overlap with a Cleric than SK's do with Necro's for example, and you're definitely more likely to run into Clerics when grouping and even raiding so you notice the overlap more. Then again Lay on Hands is always boss and the ability to drop back and heal/cure, doesn't theorycraft as cleanly but in actual practice it's strong and probably catches them most the way up to the less redundancy in SKs.

... so if it hasn't been changed by now doubt it ever will be, since they certainly aren't weak.
  8. Xhartor Augur

Bazzt Zzzt AE out, Pallies Splash!
  9. Trey Elder

The ability to AE splash heals is the coolest idea I've read in a LONG TIME.
    That would be --perfect. It would help generate agro, provide nice utility, and would be lore appropriate all at the same time. Man, I hope they do add something like that!
  10. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

Theres a few things that could probably be altered by era.

SKs get their Soul Abrasion AA line (proc damage increase) in Luclin, but the Paladin equivalent (Blessing of Light) doesn't get added until Underfoot. This could be moved back to earlier eras and not hurt anything.

Its not until House of Thule that Paladins start getting mixed target type nukes (nukes that hit all enemy types, but do bonus damage to undead. Example: Elegy). Upgrade most/all the paladin Undead nukes to that system, and you'll give paladins something to cast when they arent tanking or needing to heal/rez.

Implement some of the Underfoot spell lines earlier. Splash, Glorious Vindication, and Protective Confession are all really cool spell concepts that the majority of TLP players never see, and would do a good job to raise desirability of the class.

Shorter recast/mana cost on Stun/Holy Might or add Cease/Desist earlier

Paladin is an amazing class, its just that the coolest stuff is not until much later in a server's life cycle.
    Trey and Wulfhere like this.
  11. Trey Elder

Great ideas. I hope EQ's development team will consider implementing them.
  12. Gnomie Denser than most

You do realize Paladins get splash heals in underfoot right? :)

Splash of Sanctification

Description
    1: Increase Hitpoints by 1293.
    2: Decrease Poison Counter by 16
    3: Decrease Poison Counter by 16
    4: Decrease Disease Counter by 16
    5: Decrease Disease Counter by 16
    6: Decrease Curse Counter by 12
    7: Decrease Curse Counter by 12
    8: Decrease Corruption Counter by 8
    9: Decrease Corruption Counter by 8
    10: Remove Detrimental (50)
    11: Remove Detrimental (50)
  13. Trey Elder

Yep! But, that's quite a long time after Classic--people are griefed pretty hard for picking paladin by more than a few people who criticize their choice because of it's drawbacks when compared to the mighty SK and steady Warrior. If this could be brought into the game early for TLP Paladins I think it would go a long way towards making the class a more desirable party companion and encourage more to play it :)
    Gnomie likes this.