The idea of "botting" is overblown plus my own experience boxing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Rothj Augur

So I started this server with absolutely nothing - I just played the game. I didn't even go that hardcore, I took some days where I didn't play at all. I would say I have medium eq knowledge to where I know a lot of important things but many other things I'm learning or trying for the first time. However, I solod a lot and farmed several Krono on my own. Using that Krono, I installed everquest on my steamdeck and started a druid which I casually helped level using my main. I had a monitor that I use for work so I hooked it up to that and put it on my desk with both keyboards in front of me and both mouse. The amount of control I have over the game feels insane now - I can port myself anywhere I want, I can buy/sell while farming whenever I feel like, I can track, I could potentially power level my own alts... etc. It feels amazing. When duoing with my boxes, I can easily lock down camps I would struggle with. I had absolutely no special skills or knowledge to do any of this - I've farmed like 8 krono on my own since the server started.

The point I'm making is that I think when people see 1-2 people anon and camping a named it's easy to feel angry like they're cheating you or doing something immoral. The reality is those people probably have no technical knowledge or any special agenda 99% of the time - they're just playing the game. There are krono sellers in the game, I've met a couple. But I think this idea of everyone botting is overblown - some dude sitting on a named while they do something on their other monitor doesn't make them a bot. I could literally go browse the forums on the other screen or do work while I'm camping a named. I think this disconnect where it feels like so much work to prepare to go to a camp and set up to do it and someone else is there makes you feel like you're being cheated somehow, when 99% of the time you're not.
    Vlahkmaak and code-zero like this.
  2. Sonyeq Journeyman

This sounds exactly like something a Bot would say
    Shillyona, Xangeon66, Vindor and 2 others like this.
  3. Mossaa Augur

I just had to log on to like this post. It is from my point of view like 99% sure that the text above was made by some that bot and cheat.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you are boxing you are going to be accused of botting at some point in time, pretty much every boxer I know personally has experienced that, and so have I.
    I've been reported for botting a couple of dozen times & had GM's appear to say hi, how are you in /say.

I don't bot because it's only cheating yourself out of a fun time or a challenge, I haven't even used 3rd party software even if I know how it works because I wanted to be "good enough" at boxing to do it even on raids.

I never again want to do "The Performer" event while 3-boxing, but it was fun to do it while only dropping one or two emote responses in the process.
    Hint: if you ever try it yourself stand your non-melee boxes on the carpet near to the corner of the dining table, they will be in range of the band for emote responses.

All that said, botting is rife in EQ, every TLP will have some people doing it, report it & go on with your playing, not worth losing sleep over.
  5. Rothj Augur

I'm in game right now sitting on seahorse patriarch spawn with my monitor fully up.
  6. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Gina kind of trivialized this (thankfully) with automatically putting the right response in your copy paste/buffer, made running six in performer reasonably sane since you just click to each box you hear called, enter+ctrl-v+enter.

Now the Hatchet fight is still insane, I pulled it off with no deaths and six characters one time.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  7. Bullsnooze Augur

Neither performer nor Hatch are all that hard boxing, but they are annoying.

The Vertigo fight in Deathknell is going to wreck havoc on your brain if you box 2 or more.

You have to manage 3 floors of crap, while players are being randomly switched between the floors, and if you're not cured of Vertigo you become 'drunk'.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I did manage to 2 box Vertigo (Zerk & Sham) but it was only just about manageable after having maxed Alcohol Tolerance on both characters, was still hellish though.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  9. Vindor Lorekeeper

Where did you get all that straw
  10. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

best post in this forum in awhile!

Everyone loves to be the star in their own world, so when they see a very impressive drop mob like frenzy at Lguk permacamped, they scream 'bots'.. MAYBE its a very similar player that also wants that belt and logged on earlier than you haha.
  11. Risiko Augur

I went down to the Raster spawn point in Lower Guk on my monk to see if by chance he was up. When I got there, another monk came running up yelling at me about how he already had that pick camped.

I told him good luck, and /pick to another one. About twenty minutes later, I see that same monk in general chat advertising that he was selling loot rights for Raster.

Yeah. Not all people you interact with in game are good people or have the best of intentions in mind.

Was he in the right for doing it? Yeah. He camped it and sold it. That was his right.

Will I respect his claim to a camp if I ever see him again? Don't bet on it.
  12. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

I can definitely get behind money-hungry players, but this post was the fact that so many people just slap the label 'bot' or 'krono farmer' on every dude camping a mob. The reality is that it's just another random guy camping the item (in your case for money), but still a legitimate player.
    code-zero likes this.
  13. code-zero Augur

Face facts, people go to TLP servers to trade for Krono to support their subscriptions which is exactly what Krono were intended for.
    Shillyona and Skuz like this.
  14. Risiko Augur

I know people that play on almost every new TLP server that are all about seeing how many Krono they can earn, and these people hate modern EQ. They wouldn't play on a Live server if their lives depended on it. They just like classic through PoP and enjoy playing the krono game.
  15. code-zero Augur

And that would be a different group than the ones I'm talking about
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Tern New Member

Running an extra toon isn't botting. Wait till you see the mess in dungeons, then you'll know the true meaning of the word.
    Shillyona likes this.