True box vs boxing on one computer

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rijacki, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I have 3 account because back in the old days Firiona Vie only allowed one character per account and I first wanted some transport (the wizard) and then to start a new character with my, at that time, new boyfriend who I had just got into playing the game (and, of course, didn't want to delete my nearly max level character I had been playing a few years). I also did start to do a small amount of 2-boxing back in those days which was "true box" without some "elaborate" work arounds and a computer with more capability from either of mine. And.. I already had multiple computers for other reasons (with most dual boot so I could game on Windows and have a better OS for everything else).

On Live, I have boxed my 3 accounts on one computer with alt-tab or mousing-clicking the status bar. It's a PITA for auto-follow in some locations and not really efficient except for "safe" pulls. But, it is handy for transport (one of the accounts has a wizard, another has a druid) and tracking (a tracker on each account). I don't use anything more than the in-game macros so I am sure some would consider my experience entirely inefficient.

So... when I decided to play on Oakwynd, I also decided to re-engage with true boxing. Again, I do have multiple computers for completely non-gaming reasons. After playing a couple weeks now, casual playstyle, I've rediscovered the advantages of true box especially for auto-follow. I can just look over my shoulder to the other monitor to see my box is still following. I don't have to position to watch the box or keep a map up to see the x following. It's also faster and easier to reach over and poke the key for the hotbar button than switch screens and poke and without losing as much attention on the primary.

I do understand the argument made by those who don't have the desk space for 2 monitors (I currently have 3 on my desk with 2 closed laptops on the same desk, too, again, for reasons that have nothing to do with gaming, and have had more in other times) or the ability to have another computer, but there are insanely cheap options available now and even KVM are stupidly cheap (and tiny!) now.

Not saying that all TLP should be true box, just that it really can be a better set up than multi-boxing on one computer, at least for a pair and without using any 3rd party applications and set up.
    Yinla and Bullsnooze like this.
  2. SoandsoForumUser Augur

I'd probably box less if there wasn't truebox, because without springing for a custom solution controlling multiple characters on the same machine is way worse than the usb numpad solution, however not having to own 5 spare latops counterbalances that convenience if truebox is disabled.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't like you would be forced to box from a single computer if truebox was relaxed or removed.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Very true. If I need to box on Live now, I will definitely be using true box for 2 of the accounts. If I need all three, it would be on the main computer because I cannot put EQ on the corporate laptop that has to be on my desk 'cause I work from home (but now shares the monitor set up with a KVM that's the size of a pack of cards which blows my mind a bit 'cause the last KVM I owned... over a decade ago, was bigger than a paperback novella). Just being able to see with both of the characters at the same time took me back decades and reminded me how much better it is.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm actually prefering to play on 2 comps at the moment due to the slow load if you tab out to something else (be that another EQ client or internet). I'm likely to fire up the other laptop if I can get it to connect to the internet to run a 3rd box, I think its the lead and it doesn't do Wifi. :rolleyes: Recently did shaman epic 2 and it was miles easier just having it up on another screen rather than tabbing back and forth with the long delay.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Vewdue Elder

I much prefer regular boxing, I think the "Relaxed" true box would be perfect for me. I tend to only box 2-3 chars at most anyways. I run one computer with 2 monitors (Currently thinking about adding a 3rd monitor), it's a lot more convenient imo to have each toon on their own monitor but still able to be controlled by 1 keyboard/mouse. I have my old computer collecting dust if I really wanted to set it back up to truebox, but I've yet to do that.
  7. Koshk Augur

I've done it both ways, and concur there's certainly pros and cons to each approach.
    It's nice to have the option to do either, or a mixed setup.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  8. jeskola pheerie

Regarding the "hey I happen to have all these laptops for non-gaming reasons already running" part. Most people that aren't trueboxing EQ have one PC per desk/room at most, even those with a need for multiple displays.

Also, you can run 3 or more monitors on the one PC with an EQ on each screen. If you really are about the multiple inputs you can also do that on the one PC with additional USB keyboard/pad.

I am failing to see how your experience can't be easily replicated and even improved in a single PC setup.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Meanwhile in multi-boxing on one PC land

[IMG]
    Vewdue likes this.
  10. fakenames Journeyman

true box isnt just forcing you to play on different pcs it also has code to boot you off it it thinks your cheating the true box. code that is stupid trivial to activate accidently once you have some spamable abilities. so true box doesnt matter for the tlp hoppers who go from tlp to tlp because you have nothing but discs and auto attack for most classess up through god / omens. the second you get to don pressing volley on your two zerks to quickly will boot you to the server select. which is why truebox should be fully relaxed in omens to give people time to level up boxes if they want to for moving into modern eq on their tlp of choice.

im not talking trash about tlp hoppers if you find that fun go for it. the only eq content creator i watch is the eqprog guy and he is a tlp hopper to.