Confirmed New UI Font Crispness/Alisasing, and Quantity Selections

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Lodestar, May 20, 2023.

1. Lodestar The Undefeated

All new UI elements have a significant font crispness/blurriness issue. This is confirmed on two separate computers with an RTX 4090 and 2070, with and without anti-aliasing enabled (4X vs none). This *must* be fixed before the UI is rolled out to all windows, otherwise all players will have massive migraines seeing an entire screen filled with blurry edge-aliasing font.

Further, any type of quantity selections track to a window locked in one location, rather than tracking to the actual item involving the quantity selection. This is inefficient, annoying, and nonsensical. The quantity selection should pop-up wherever an icon/item is actively having its quantity selected.
  2. Lodestar The Undefeated

Can we get dev confirmation that the text crispness/clarity/aliasing issue is known? This is going to become a serious issue if it's not addressed before more UI rollouts occur.
    Rondor, Eshoon and Lucentio like this.
  3. Lodestar The Undefeated

Checking on this again. Are devs aware of of the obvious text crispness/clarity/aliasing issue on all new UI elements? Many people in other posts on the forum have stated they are having this issue. Would be good to ensure it's recognized, so that we don't get to the point of every single new UI window having blurry/aliased text.
  4. Balm Apprentice

They are well aware, and were well aware two months ago on Test.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Lodestar The Undefeated

Good to hear, needs to be prioritized. Much more salient now, compared to the days of running 640x480 VGA.
  6. Ratalthor Developer

Has anyone affected by this patched the client since the May 19th hotfix? We put in improvements to the font clarity in that update.
  7. Sharsep New Member

Its still awful
    Rondor, Nenton, Barton and 2 others like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think we cannot see it thru the white inventory screen at all. ;) It will be hard to troubleshoot this if we all are using old UI's we reverted to cause the new one goes white.
    Barton and Yinla like this.
  9. Keeden New Member

I still see blurriness. Its legible, and seems to be better than it was, but it certainly isnt exactly crisp. Reminds me of writing with a pen on a damp sheet of paper. The ink barely spreads, but it's just enough to make it fuzzy.
    Silvena likes this.
  10. Srobria New Member

The only place I have issues with the text is from the inventory screen. The HP/MP/EN/AC/ATK and all the stats numbers look like they're almost faded from the top going down. Now, I do play on a 37" ultrawide monitor, so graphic issues aren't anything new, like particle effects floating way above their location and only get back to normal when you get close.
  11. Ieadailx New Member

Yes, and any numbers within the inventory window are still blurry.
  12. Barton The Mischievous

Yes we patched.

Improvements were not nearly enough it is still blurry and causes headaches.
    Silvena likes this.
  13. Conq Augur

Aside from the blurriness, seeing 2 different fonts on my screen is giving me a nervous tick.
    Conq
    Silvena likes this.
  14. Emilari UI Designer

After the May 19th hotfix, the font on the new engine is legible for those not using ultrawide monitors. It appears almost the same as the old font on my 2k resolution. It is a bit thinner (less weighted) than the font used by the old engine.

The biggest improvement the font with the May 19th hotfix provided was proper spacing - the letters aren't all mushed together like they were with the original font on the new engine.

If we could keep the font properly spaced (as it is now) and have it weighted slightly heavier (thicker) it'd be an improvement.
    klanderso likes this.
  15. Cyphren Journeyman

Suite vs Gameface
    [IMG]

I'm not going to pretend I know about how text scaling works, I don't know if it's an aliasing problem, a raster problem or whatever.

To me being able to see the crispness of individual pixels of what suite offers looks vastly superior to the blurriness of the current gameface version. The inventory window is getting the largest amount of attention because of the amount of text on it compared to other currently converted pieces.

The bigger problem is the text scaling will carry over to other ui pieces with vastly higher uptime on your screen such as xtar, player, group, target and hotbar windows (You can already see what new hotbuttons will like by long holding on current hotbars.) And Karana help us if this makes it to the chat window.

I understand the drive to create the upscale because of higher ppi displays but they are still well in the minority vs people in the 90ish ppi range. Point being it should look best at 100% native resolution and stretch out from there. I mean that's exactly what's happening with dragitems being scaled.

I do have a few question about the new ui.
    Is the font hard coded or will it be able to be customized? If so how, css?
    Is the scaling only for the entire ui or will there be an individual scale for ui pieces?
    Whasajiggawho likes this.
  16. Lodestar The Undefeated

Thanks for checking on this Ratalthor. See below screenshot link comparing inventory window (new UI, top), to social/macros (old UI, bottom). On a XB271HU Acer Predator 1140P IPS monitor, and 4090 RTX with 4x4 AA supersample (or AA off) there is still significant aliasing, blurriness, and inconsistency of clarity. Even more pronounced on green colored text. This is at unadjusted 100% scaling.

• Old UI buttons shows exact crispness and consistency across individual letter/numbers.
    • New UI has aliasing and inconsistency of clarity (e.g., "1"'s vertical line on the ATK and endurance row are faded; "5"s and "7"s top horizantal line are fuzzy and not solid; curved portions of numbers on platinum amount are faded/dotted/missing detail).
    https://ibb.co/L87Hsjt
  17. Ratalthor Developer

We are aware of font rendering issues with some combination of graphics cards and monitors. We are investigating a long-term solution to address these issues.

In the mean time, if you are experiencing this issue, we recommend the workaround for using the old default UI.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

In the post for the workaround, it would have been nice if you guys had credited Emilari for coming up with the fix to help everyone LONG before you folks addressed it.
  19. Jedis Arch Mage

What is “Suite”? Gameface is the new UI layer. I spent some time reading through their docs and trying various CSS fixes to make the text better, but everything I tried just made it worse. They specifically talk about text bluriness on their website so this is a known issue.

Yes, you set the font in the CSS. I tried Courier New and it had the same problem.
  20. Emilari UI Designer

SUITE is the old UI (xml based) engine, Gameface is the new (html5 based) engine.