PoP era Resist goals and [Agnarr] specific SK and Sham question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EastSideWestSide, May 30, 2023.

1. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

I’m general what kind of resist numbers are tanks and non tanks (Magician specifically) looking to hit for the PoP era boss fights in general? What’s the Resist cap at level 65? I’ve played some games where resists aren’t vital but I vaguely recalled EQ in that era needing attention paid to it.

Unrelated to that, on Agnarr I had made a DE SK and a Barb Sham for thematic reasons (I liked the idea of an angry little elf channeling his hate through discipline and had watched the Karl Urban Dredd before I made the Shaman so, Shaman of Justice? Sold!). Neither has hit Level 40.
    Then I kept playing and remembered EQs race balance is non existent lol. How gimped am I going to be at 60-65 having a meager 10 cold resist vs Iksar/Troll regen or capping Int vs Ogre stun immunity godliness? Esp. since while I like Agnarr in theory there’s a fair amount of soloing involved.
  2. Vedian Lorekeeper

Resist cap is 500 but even 400+ will either resist most stuff or it's unresistable. If you're wearing even half decent gear you should be able to get all resists to at least 200 unbuffed. You can get buffs on top of that, but any bard can buff all resists by over 300, or high 200s at a minimum. Unless you're naked and your bard doesn't know what they're doing it isn't difficult to hit 500.

Race doesn't really matter even though those benefits can be nice to have. If it's really important you can race change but plenty of people play stuff other than ogres/trolls/iksars.
    EastSideWestSide likes this.
  3. Xeris Augur

Race won't matter at all. Once you get gear, you'll max all stats and nothing matters. Stun resist, imo, is insanely overrated.
    code-zero and EastSideWestSide like this.
  4. Xhartor Augur

Once you get to PoP, you shouldn't be swapping out quality gear for gimpy resist items. If you are in a guild that raids, getting a decent set of EP or the lower stuff from Time should go quickly on Agnarr. If you are sticking around on Agnarr, guilds are more then willing to put up with an under geared toon dying a few times while they get geared.

If resist are a concern, most guilds should have a bard playing a resist chorus with a Rathe war drum.
    code-zero and EastSideWestSide like this.
  5. EastSideWestSide Lorekeeper

Took a few days to reply, I suppose doing it now at least one post on the front page won't be about FTE. ;)

So short version... don't sweat Resists too much in that era. Certainly things like +10 or +20 resists aren't anything to make decisions over.

Had more concern losing Iksar regen for the Shaman, wasn't sure high end, especially solo'ing, how much Shamans cannabalize. If it was too core to lose for a theme/RP concept I liked.

Been "around", we could loosely call it that lol, on Agnarr for... 4 years now? Maybe 5? But I can only play 3-5 months a year, split into 2 blocks. Slow going. Hard to make the connections EQ needs. Plus the first 2 or 3 times I played there I was just messing around, relearning class basics deciding what to play in EQ this time. I like returning to the ole girl and I appreciate Agnarr for never moving the carrot and being the era I have the 2nd fondest memories of. Why I've come back every year. Plus I like a paid server, weeds out some riff raff IMO. Older player base in general. Can make 90's jokes unironically. Thankfully even stuck mostly soloing, finally got a 44 and another cusping it thanks to the holiday. Started talking to people in guilds seeing if any are casual enough to be okay with my limited yearly time and, since this one and the next will be longer times back than normal, and I'm focused more on fewer toons, I finally expect to hit the 60's sooner than later.
  6. Bewts Augur

Resists don’t matter much in PoP other than Bert - and that’s almost entirely manageable with cures and strategic MGB heals.

As an SK, you’re likely only going to be asked to tank trash in time on P3 and some trash long enough on the various boss fights until the DPS burns it down. Maybe you’ll get a run at CT and Inny because fear immunity from knights helps with aggro.

That said, my advice is to ignore resists - expect you’ll have a bard and focus on hSta, hAGI, AC and HP for the SK.

Shaman can basically ignore resists entirely because (1) bard and (2) LoY cure spell solves 99% of all resist problems (minus fear and Rallos invisible stun).

Note - cap in PoP is 500 in a resist and bards easily get even the worst geared toons into 400.
    EastSideWestSide likes this.