Classes you have never mained and why.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arclyte, May 4, 2023.

1. Arclyte Augur

For whatever reason, you haven't gotten around to it yet or you just don't like the idea of the class etc

for me
    Enchanter - Always seemed like they were dime a dozen because they're stupidly powerful.
    Monk - See enchanter.
    Cleric - Seems boring and 1 dimensional. Just staring at hp bars and buffing.
    Warrior - Also seems boring. I've never tanked any raids and tankxiety sucks.
  2. Balrigard Journeyman

Rogue - They are weak/ and no fun in my eyes, they require some class balancing.
    SK - I used to see 1000s of these running around when MoTM did not exist and they haven't interested me since.

In reference to your picks:
    Enchanter : Stupid powerful early on in TLPs due to charm but will require attention if you are actively killing/charming.
    Cleric : Boring but can be fun when played right. IE when AoE groups were a thing and needed pullers!
    Warrior : Alot of fun but I agree with tanxiety and requires gear!!!
  3. Ruhi Augur

monk:
    the weight to ac mechanic (even though it's not a big deal, and doesn't matter really), 0 itemization really because fists are so strong in early eras. i enjoy pulling xp grind spots, but not so much on raids.
    highest lvl monk - 7.

berzerker:
    all the components for axes and all that is really the only thing i don't like about them
    highest lvl berzerker - 33.

bard:
    just not my cup of tea kind of class. i've only used bards to pl myself on a non-pbae class on live a few times.
    highest lvl bard - 55
  4. uberkingkong Augur

Necro.

Necros out DPS me in raids
    Necros are good at soloing kings, I love to box not solo. (where is the boxing UI??)
    Their solo is better than 3 box groups at times.
    Necros are kings, I like to be underdog so I avoid necros but when I hear newplayer ask what to play, well can't get any easier than a necro solo.
    They've been kings since day 1.

DPS king, Solo King, puller King,
    mages are nothing mages are underdogs. Wizards their dps is underdogs compared to necros.
    I like underdogs

See this, solo, I've seen 6 boxes, 3 boxes get whooped. Just play necro and solo they say. Not a chance.
  5. Bullsnooze Augur

1. Rogue - Boring
    2. Ranger - I hate the class design
    3. Paladin - Super boring
    4. Shaman - Too many spells
    5. Necromancer - A few chumps from my live days turned my off to this class.
  6. Chopsuey Augur

Anything that isn't a dps class. I gotta do big dam.
    Ulrin likes this.
  7. Arclyte Augur

Anyone else feel like maining a class that is easily boxed as kind of a negative?

I like the concepts of mage and bard, but it feels like people can get like 90% effectiveness from them as a box (at least in early expansions)
  8. uberkingkong Augur

Yes it is.

But what class is not easily boxed?
    Ranger? Especially if your navigating through a dungeon and autofollow isn't working so you can follow far away so you can be far enough for /autofire.

People box because they can't do content without boxing, they never played Necro I suppose, I see so much Necro solo.

IN era group mission. Necro solo'd.
    Best 3 box, 3 necros, synergy, they already solo, now its. How fast. Anything but another necro slows a necro down.
  9. Krazeie New Member

The axe component issue is virtually non-existent. Especially after you start summoning in batches of 100. I would by components and summon about 1000 and that would last me through multiple raid nights. Honestly, the times when I ran out of axes were very few.
  10. Weverley Augur

Warrior boring, zerker i don't find anything that interested me in that class wizard run oom too fast, cleric nothing to do beside healing. I love necro, sk, druid, chanter , monk oh and i never play a mage either to simplistic send pet and look
  11. code-zero Augur

Since late 2000 I have only ever had a Bard main. So all the rest
    Vetis likes this.
  12. Balrigard Journeyman

All you need to know about wizards is "Tears", cast, sit, repeat and you will win majority of the parses from Kunark-PoPower.
    PoSky you are just a DT eater :)
  13. Kodachi Augur

I've mained a rogue for all but 1 month of playtime apart from 1999 when I didn't know how the game worked. That 1 month was 6 days of a necro and 24 days of a paladin.

So uhh, the only one I won't main again is rogue, because all the stuff I remember not liking about playing a rogue on live originally never got fixed.
    pipedreams3 likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've only "mained" 3 classes, Warrior, Cleric & Berserker.
    I have however played everything else in groups and I've raided as everything except Enchanter.

Swapped from Warrior to Berserker on my first run through Live (2000-2008)
    Played a Cleric on Ragefire since Berserkers were not available at launch & I wanted to help out former guildies.
    Played a Berserker on Phinigel once they were unlocked through to the middle of CoV moved to live & finished out CoV there, then before ToL launched I stopped playing, after Beta testing it.

I enjoyed playing every class, but since I went Berserker nothing else has really made me want to play anything else full time, it is by far my favourite EQ class to play, thematically, aesthetically, technically & none of the others really ever grabbed me the same way, it just "clicked" for me early on & that feeling of having found my natural best fit class has never left me.
    It is why I have pushed so hard to have Berserker & Beastlord available on TLP at launch, because playing anything else is like dating a girl for the sake of being not being alone, you like her, there is nothing wrong with her but you know she deserves better than this because there's sod-all chemistry.
    Lawyer likes this.
  15. jeskola pheerie

Mained? Ummm most of them probably.
  16. Koshk Augur

• Cleric: Because there are shamans.
    • Wizard: Because there are druids or mages.
    • Warrior, Rogue, Monk, Zerker: The lack of spells. The hotbar icons all just blending together. I just don't like how the pacing feels. If we could assign icons/colors to each hotbar button, and not waste a social doing /timeout? That would go a long way to making these feel more fun to me.
  17. Chuuk Augur

• Ranger - played one back in 2000 for a few weeks until I realized their archery damage was crap. Never made another...but I do want to live that Legolas_dream during SoL/PoP one of these days.
    • Mage - I've had a few in my box groups, but the class is so 1-dimensional, never intrigued me enough to be a main
    • Warrior - always liked hybrid tanks better
  18. Bewts Augur

I’ve boxed most classes at one point or another, and played all of them as alts / twinks.

The one that I probably wouldn’t Main at this point would be a Druid. After experiencing the healing power of multiple main clerics and now a heavily boxed shaman, I cannot imagine playing a druid as a main. The other healer options just feel so powerful in what they bring compared to a Druid’s kit.

Cleric is beyond powerful when geared and played as a main to the point you’d have to be not paying attention, be lazy or are unable to count to 3 and press a button to deliver on primary task of keeping people alive (assuming they also play well).

Shaman are simply beasts when geared, they can shut down bad pulls simply by slowing everything and healing themselves until things get under control. And if healing isn’t your primary task, you still have the best slow in the game and arguably are the second most powerful contributor to adps outside of a bard via the avatar line. And if that isn’t enough - shaman can still contribute well with dots on raids.

Druids feel like their kit just doesn’t carry the absolute healing power of a cleric or all the utility to that can keep a main shaman busy across so many roles. Yes they can add some DPS, but it feels far less dynamic than the other healing classes.

For all these reasons (and some I’ve missed) - Druid would be the last class I’d choose to play as a main through at least PoP.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Rampart New Member

I enjoy maining and non-boxing a chanter at the beginning of a new TLP not because they are "stupidly powerful" but because they are the busiest of all the classes. The chanter will be buffing, CCing, and DPSing with pets that break at random times and if you are not on your toes, that pet can wipe the party...

All other classes I would rather box to keep busy enough so the game isn't a snooze fest.

The only two classes I haven't mained are Zerker and beast cause I'm losing interest in the TLP by then or soon thereafter.
    Kraked likes this.
  20. Arclyte Augur

For RP reasons I kind of always wanted to be a bertoxxulous SK, but I never liked qeynos

Do deities ever come into play besides cultural armor and classic-era factions?