Monk/Shaman/? Trio

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Maeve, May 2, 2023.

1. Maeve New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was originally not sure if I wanted to start on the new TLP but since then my wife and daughter are looking to play with me so I am looking forward to reliving EQ with them. They plan to play a Monk and a Shaman (possibly Druid).

What would go good with them?

I thought about a tank but I have not had too much experience tanking and since I want to raid I am unsure I would want to play a tank. I then thought about a ranger, it is good dps and can tank in a pinch, I have never played one so it would be interesting. I have thought about a bard but I don't want to feel like I am taking away from the monk experience with pulling so it might not be as fun.

I have leaned a lot towards an enchanter because they have a lot of utility and are fun and the charm pet can kind of tank but doesn't have taunting abilities. Thought about maybe a rogue but just read that recent post saying rogues are not that great and im not looking to min/max to death to do decent dps plus it doesnt have much else going for it.

Trying to have a good trio that can self sustain a bit but also just add players to it to form a decent group as well.

I have played this game for years but not done a lot of end game so a lot of my experience in most classes are limited.

Thanks!
  2. uberkingkong Augur

Necro, you'll be able to take on anything then.
    If you go with a tank you run into issue on DPS check fights.
    If you go with a bard you run into issue on DPS check fights.

Necro pet can more than tank/solo almost everything too.

Necros are very good dps in raids as well.

Also, later when your good enough to solo things like Yelinak, send in pet and don't have to worry about banishment.
  3. Xhartor Augur

Bard, the answer is always bard. Early in everquest bards and monks have different pulling skill sets. Bard can't drop aggro until PoP. Selo has an 18 second duration until Luclin. Monk's don't get any of pacify/lull type disc until PoP or LDoN.

The bard is better when you are just tagging mobs and running back to camp. The monk is better when you need actually split that requires dropping aggro. If the person playing the monks want to pull, let them pull, there no rule that says X class has to pull.

Monks tank most group content just fine. There are a few expansion where monks might struggle to tank, but those come later (GoD is the first).

Having a bard will enhance the monk experience, by increasing the Monk DPS. The bard also gives you group crowd control.
    PipotheAFILADOR, modsiw and code-zero like this.
  4. Maeve New Member

I havent played a necro much, not a bad idea. But in raids dont necros just get used as a mana battery? do they get much time to dps?
  5. Maeve New Member

A bard has always seemed fun, I just worry it may get boring. Maybe I just need to learn to bard better. And not just think its melody and slash things most the time.
  6. Xhartor Augur

If you playing a bard and not boxing, they can do a lot more then that and tend to be one of the most active classes in the game. Charm is your best CC ability, 2+ mobs get pulled into camp, charm one and stick it on the other. Other stuff like toggling to different targets mezing and toggling back to melee the current mob and restart you combat melody. Denon's Desperate Dirge is a fun burn. Bard single target DoT are solid DPS.

Much like Shaman, they are one of those classes that keeps getting with each expansion.
  7. Jardad Journeyman

NecroBatt depends on how good your Raid peeps are. just setup your Healers/ Enchs in Ext tar window and watch their Mana. nobody cares about Nec. DPS when raid wipes due to healers OOM . =)
  8. uberkingkong Augur

Are you planning to raid? You'll most likely have to choose 1 main of that trio.
    If Necro battery is all your doing and not dps well makes life easier for you boxing a trio if they want you to trio box on a raid.

Group content solo, good at classic, much much better with trio.
    Also, current era necro solo. Imagine 2 other boxes with that.
  9. Maeve New Member

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I won’t be boxing those other two characters my family will play them.
  10. code-zero Augur

11. Balrigard Journeyman

Enchanter!!

As someone who mains an enchanter almost every TLP, they have the most flexibility.
    You will be able to single pull, crowd control, charm for dps, and everything else you desire.
    If you do decide to go Ench, I recommend gnome as they can see through most walls!

Ench / Monk / Shm or Druid can kill any group content in classic with ease and will allow for you to get Plane of Hate/Fear armor if you choose to charm kill.
  12. Falafel Lorekeeper

Enchanter is the best choice here, SK second. A bard is a decent choice if you decide against an enchanter.

The enchanter will lose alot of charm effectiveness past GoD though, you would probably want to reroll SK by then.
    Balrigard likes this.
  13. Balrigard Journeyman

Exactly my thoughts.
    With that in mind, They should choose druid over shaman as that allows the ability to PL a secondary main easier and quicker than a shm would.

I wouldn't entertain SK due to the epic roadblocks but other than that it is a good option. ( really not make or break either )
  14. Obliteration Elder

SK for sure, unless you are a very capable ench your trio would be much better off if you were an SK.

Don't need much gear in classic, can hold agro off anything easily and the shaman buffs benefit both the monk and sk along with the shaman haste being good enough.

This trio only gets stronger in kunark and beyond as well
  15. Obliteration Elder

Literally no reason to PL anything, play what you want now and roll alts in velious when levelling becomes much, much easier
  16. Falafel Lorekeeper

SK doesn't need an epic to matter, but you also don't really need a tank till after GoD, although having one is nice as it stabilizes the situation (charm breaks can be scary with no tank during pop+).

I would go druid instead of shaman at first too, except i'd do it for ports. Reroll to shaman after luclin/pop.

Since they refuse to do any balancing on TLP, we're stuck with some obvious choices early (enchanter/dru) that become not good choices later.
  17. Balrigard Journeyman

SK epic is garbage imo and agree it is not needed.
    Monk can adequately tank is the only reason I do not see a SK being needed and that lasts through PoPower for at least any group content.
    Aggro is only issue but anyone who has played an Ench knows to just use the lvl 2 mez and recharm or color spray/mez charm.
    You normally do not charm much once PoPower lands, or atleast I did not because it becomes garbage for the most part. That is usually the time I reroll to Wizard/Tank.

I agree with the reroll come Luclin for shaman though!

Agreed, I would love to see some class balancing for some classes. Rogue being # 1.
  18. Larsen Augur

Eh. Choosing two of a trio's classes based on their pulling ability is kind of redundant. You're better off with a class that really synergizes. There won't be much you can do with three characters where a monk isn't a perfectly adequate puller, it's not like having lull songs opens up a bunch of worthwhile new content you couldn't do without it.

The bard synergizes pretty poorly with the other two classes. The mana song applies only to the shaman, and while it doesn't hurt to have it, shaman mana management is fine without it. Haste song is wasted. Resist songs are barely relevant in non-raid content. Selo's is convenient to have but not actually useful, it's just quality of life, and the trio already has SoW.

Kind of ends up with a situation where mez is pretty much the only meaningful contribution the bard brings to the group. Bards are great in a group that needs a puller, makes good use of the mana song, and especially if there's also no other source of haste. None of those are true of this 3-man setup.

People overrate bards. It's definitely a nice class, but it's not the godlike wonder-class that a lot of people pretend. While bards can do a lot of things, the class loses a lot of value if most of those things are already covered or not applicable to the classes in the group. OP will get way more raw power out of something like a necro, mage or especially enchanter.
    Falafel likes this.
  19. code-zero Augur

Ugh....

Bards get, so dumb

There are 3 group haste songs in Original

There are multiple group AC/resist songs

There's more

Just so much wrong with that mess you wrote
  20. Larsen Augur

Bard haste is trash until epic, and pretty irrelevant anyway when there's a shaman in the group. A tiny bit of overhaste later on adds practically nothing when the only melee DPS comes from a single monk. AC songs are not meaningful for group content. Neither are resist songs. These are some of the absolutely least impactful things a bard can do in non-raid gameplay.

I see that you're one of those people who blindly and incorrectly think bards are just automatically the best addition to every possible group. Meanwhile, you presented absolutely no reasons why. Just repeating an idiotic mantra and then spewing insults at anyone who agrees.

Weirdo.