Oakwynd guild recruitment

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kobin04, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Kuldiin Journeyman

I'd have been happy with the option to do dungeons such as Guk/Solb/Sebilis etc as instances in a similar manner with a full group. Get in there and give the dungeon a good owning with your mates!

You can still have the normal open pick and obviously make whatever adjustments need doing so the world doesn't flood with loot.
    Magneress and Ragnoruk like this.
  2. Ragnoruk Augur

I've always liked the idea of instances. They eliminate so much unwanted drama from games. I understand that they have limitations and don't want zones like guk/solb/seb open for only 6 people but they could place a population threshold on instances the same way they do for pick zones to ensure they are actually providing game play for x number of players. As long as thresholds are met, what's the difference between an instance & a pick? I would even pay in order to open an instance, which would be a bonus for DPG.

For example, 1 Krono to open an instance of Lower Guk for 24 hours. Must retain 30 players to remain open or it begins a 1 hour timer to close. Stops & resets timer when threshold is met. Players can be added to the instance by the person that opened the instance the same way people are added for a raid DZ.
  3. Captain Video Augur

This question has been answered soooo many times in this forum that I despair of it, but one more time...

The game's programming has matured significantly since the Classic-PoP era. Once you get past GoD, all missions, dungeons and raids are instanced. In old world content there are some things that simply cannot be instanced without completely rewriting the game from scratch. If it has an AoC, then it has already been recoded as an instance.

For things that cannot be instanced, the /pickzone system was developed. A /pick is essentially a duplicate copy of an open-world zone. It gives a lot more players simultaneous access to popular content, which is good. A full zone copy also consumes a chunk of server memory, which can be not good. Too many of these copies across all game zones combined results in the server running out of memory, which has the rather unpleasant side effect of crashing the server. The /pick thresholds we have now are the result of a lot of trial-and-error tuning to prevent crashes. If you want to lobby DPG to let you pay 1 KR for the privilege of crashing the server every five minutes, well, good luck with that.

To use your example: LGuk is not a bottleneck to gameplay. It's not unusual to see 30-40 picks of LGuk running when a new TLP is in Classic. Players are getting through it all just fine. What people asking for private picks really want is to be able to farm rare items for RMT. That's not how the game is intended to work, and in any case it's physically impossible anyway for the reasons given above. I'm not saying that's you, but there is a whole lot of obsession about it, I'm sure the team is tired of responding to it, which leaves it to players like me to keep posting it.

And I'm not sure what any of this has to do with guild recruitment. :)
  4. Runes Augur

If only there were dedicated guild advertising/recruiting forums where you could get specific info you looking for
  5. Ragnoruk Augur

All raid zones have an AoC and they obviously didn't rewrite the entire game from scratch. They don't even make money off AoCs. Why not do the work for instances that could generate income?

I wouldn't say it's a bottleneck but many times I have entered a dungeon and everything for my level range is taken. I need to pop into several picks to check availability, waiting the 5min between each pick, hoping one is available. Usually a few players in the group will do this. It can sometimes take the 1st hour of gameplay to find a camp and get a group going for it. An AoC type instance would help a lot in getting started faster.

Having instances available would actually reduce the items value anyway, so it's not about RMT. RMT makes more money when they can monopolize limited content. It's also not giving anything away, you would still need to farm the item the same way you would in an open zone, just without the 6 boxers bullying you out because DPS wins.

This thread strayed from guild recruitment after the 3rd post :)
    Zrender, Magneress and Koshk like this.
  6. Captain Video Augur

I keep finding it pointless to keep trying to reason logically with the entitlement generation. Learn to live with the disappointment, if you can.
    Sabra and Damap like this.
  7. Ecko Elder

Such a baffling take, a disappointed player is not an engaged player, a player that is not engaged is going to find entertainment elsewhere. Has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with how much technology and in turn how people engage with technology in the 20 odd years this game has been out.

Leverage the technology now available to keep people engaged and you'll retain players. Having to spend 30+ minutes to find an open pick is not engaging. They could even make /pick timer 10 seconds for 15 mins after first zoning to help people find a spot without increasing instance server load too much or something.
    Zrender and Koshk like this.
  8. Obliteration Elder

It's a 20+ year old game that kept a somewhat loyal base because of what the game originally was, you don't need to look far to find the graveyard of dead MMO's that advanced itself to it's death.

Many of the people that keep coming back to this game have witnessed the death of many MMO's for various reasons, many of which were convenience based.
  9. Captain Video Augur

This is just more entitlement logic. In the hour you've totally wasted because you absolutely positively have to have an empty pick of LGuk to yourself, my team has dinged three or four levels in uncontested zones. Which one of us is the more engaged player?
  10. Corvo Accidental Puller of Dracoliche

Everytime Captain Video says the world "entitlement", his wife lets him buy another bucket of Jim Bakker's pancake batter.
    jeskola likes this.
  11. Ecko Elder

Who said anything about having lguk to themselves? Last TLP i played on that was in classic, the only ones that you could get a camp in were the ones that spun up when the threshold was met and people poured in. Same with all zones that give more than half decent xp. It's not entitlement to want to be able to play the game without wasting time flipping through pickzones. At least when the game was originally going through these expansions when you came to a zone that was fully camped there was only the one instance, rather than 10+ or so to check.

Personally it doesn't affect me either way, i roll with enough to force my own pick of most zones anyway, so if i was to suffer through classic again, and cazic willing i'll never have to, i'd just do that, but it is in the interest of player retention to remove or at least ease the issues. Not entitlement though, just wanting to play.
    Zrender and Koshk like this.
  12. Esmefamily New Member

wanted to resub my 5 accounts, after a longer break, and start over on a fresh TLP. I hardly cared about the rules. Would have played most rulesets. BUT with that FTE crap, i will rather play minecraft or D4 or whatever instead.
  13. Vindar Augur

This is why a Kunark start is better. Classic is such trash.
  14. Zrender Augur

One of the emulation servers has functionality like that. I didn't actually play on it and I can't remember which one (watched some let's play on yt) but it has some kind of gems or something you collect in the game and for a fairly large amount of them you can open your own instance of zones. I thought it sounded pretty interesting. As I understood it, you pay the gems and get your own instance of the zone for xx hours. I started to say kronos seemed extreme, but after some thought, it's not, I guarantee people would pop krono instances. Probably dpg would make more from krono instance popping than from any other aspect of the game. Give those whales something to spend their money on.
  15. coltongrundy Augur

imagine thinking that power leveling is the only thing effected by encounter locking
  16. Cildar Journeyman

I am honestly trying to see what else is... do you have anything else?
  17. Arclyte Augur

thread was made in bad faith because op didn't get his loot pinata server

grow up
    Vindar and Zrender like this.
  18. Montag Augur

Maybe to let the devs know what we want so they change it?
  19. Sabra Lorekeeper

Please stop making such intelligent posts.
  20. Dominate Augur

My bad. I will try to do better in future.
    Sabra likes this.