Too Many Tell Windows Breaks Them

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Syylke_EMarr, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Syylke_EMarr Augur

So, guildmate had this come up a couple days ago and, after some tinkering, I found the cause and solution.

If you have too many Tell Window Tabs open at once (mine happened when it tried to open the 24th tab), tells will begin going to your normal chat windows. Once this happens. it is "permanent." Even if you log out, tells will still keep going to your chat windows, regardless of the "Use Tell Windows" setting.

The issue appears to lie in a setting in the UI_character_server.ini file.
    Under the [Chat Manager] heading, the setting below will be some fairly large number (mine was 31 when it was "broken")
    Code:
    NumWindows=31
    The solution is, basically, changing that number to something smaller (I used 10 for my fix). Unfortunately, the method of accomplishing that is... weird. Best route I found was to duplicate the UI_character_server.ini file, modify the "NumWindows" setting in the duplicated file to something lower, then do a Copy Layout in game from that duplicated ini file.

Posting this as a bug in case there's something that can be done on the code side to keep it from happening in the first place.
    Wulfhere, Ankarv, Moege and 5 others like this.
  2. baby-iksar Journeyman

Yes, please fix. This is annoying. The only way to fix it is hack the eqclient.ini which is very unpleasant to have to do.
  3. Knifen Augur

Ive ran into this once and what a nightmare it was. Our guild leader runs into this very frequently.