Wizard Parses 3/19/23

Discussion in 'Casters' started by kizant, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Axxius Augur

Tried that. With vortex count=2 it seems to do pretty much the same damage as not using it at all and getting more Claw/Cloudburst casts instead. While costing a whole lot more mana and missing out on good claw procs.

Can you suggest a scenario where casting EF results in noticeably better damage than not casting it and getting more Claw or Cloudburst casts instead?
  2. kizant Augur

There's a few useful ways to use this app. One way is to create a spell lineup and increase the duration to a reasonable period of time like 250 seconds or more. Something that lets the lineup repeat some. This is pretty much required if you want to include Claw since it has complicated procs. Then stick to ADPS that doesn't have counters. Add auspice, quick time, fury of the gods, etc and resize the bars to cover the entire 250 second or more span. You don't need every kind of ADPS since you're just trying to see what effect high crit rate has or high crit damage or with fury of the gods making procs better or with quick time changing your cast times. I usually try a bunch of variations to get an idea of which combination of spells does the best in each general scenario. You also may not need something like Twist in these test cases because it just adds extra randomness for no reason.

Another way is to just look at one spell at a time and hover over the spell in the timeline and see what the DPS is for that single cast and what the typical damage looks like. Then you setup your ADPS, procs, etc on a single cast basis and try to figure out which spell performs the best based on specific combinations of ADPS.

Another way is a very specific lineup where you're trying to see the impact of one decision like when to use Forced Rejuv. In this case maybe you do stick to a 60s timeframe and setup ADPS so that nothing runs out during that timeframe. Then just vary where you put the Forced Rejuv. You know it's your burn case so just turn everything on. You don't need a long time period. You just want to confirm the obvious like minimizing Ice Comet will help a short burn.

One good scenario for Ecliptic Fire is probably a normal single target burn. Something like Vortex, Twist, Ecliptic, Ethereal Ignition, Lunar Ice Comet with max ADPS and while also using Force Rejuv after say Ethereal Ignition so you can avoid resorting to Lunar Ice Comet for as long as possible.

There's plenty of other cases, like you said, where the gain is small or it doesn't really hurt anything. That's been one of the issues with the spell in the past. Before you would hurt yourself pretty badly using it in almost every case. Now it's hard to really mess up on a raid but it still only has a few cases where it adds a significant amount. I don't just blindly use it myself when I'm trying for a good parse. As far mana goes. I don't know. I haven't had any reason to avoid casting it cause of low mana in this expansion.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Highwizard Augur

Thank you as always kizant for posting parses and adding a tid bit of information at the end on when to use ecliptic fire 6 during a single target burn. I also agree with your statements that NoS wizards are better than we have been in a long time, so kudos for the effort from the devs the wizard community appreciates it.

I also think manaburn needs a rework, I would like to see it become more beneficial to raid/group settings and actually make the 90k mana worth using.

As for total output, I told ganzito during beta I also did not want to see us become OP, so perhaps balance exists elsewhere outside of a manaburn rework and maybe making the bard aria song work with our familiar.
  4. Valcron Elder

Was/is Ganzito receptive to the class changes?
  5. lucienne New Member

Wait aria doesn't stack with our familiar? Does the bard aura stack with it or same thing? I'm trying to figure out what ADPS to bring for the wizard.
  6. Szilent Augur

in the context of wizarding, all three of those - Familiar, Aura, and Aria - are spa124 effects:

Improved Familiar XXXIV 1: Increase Spell Damage by 60% to 70% (v124, Before DoT Crit, After Nuke Crit)

Aria of Pli Xin Liako Rk. III 1: Increase Spell Damage by 47% (v124, Before DoT Crit, After Nuke Crit)

Aura of Pli Xin Liako Effect III 1: Increase Spell Damage by 33% (v124, Before DoT Crit, After Nuke Crit)

while they don't stack, it's notable that Improved Familiar, in contrast with Mag Heart of Skyfire AA, includes:

Improved Familiar XXXIV 6: Limit Target: Single

so wizards are dependent on bards for the spa124 modifier when casting AE spells.

despite the conflict on that particular modifier, bards remain among the top ADPS for wizards. The high uptime crit% boosts on Fierce Eye and Spirit of Vesagran are huge for sustain, and the cast time reduction of Quick Time is a BFD for top burn #
    code-zero and Wulfhere like this.
  7. Highwizard Augur

So, you folks think the devs will ever allow wizards to catch up to mage/necro dps?
  8. kizant Augur

Why would they? Everyone knows they do too much.
    Highwizard likes this.
  9. Highwizard Augur

Listen, they are not going to bring down their dps, might as well raise ours or give us a tank pet or something! Then we would be a mage nvm haha.
  10. Brickhaus Augur

You mean on a raid parse with adds available? I could see wizards getting close to mages, especially if they screw up again and let one of the wizard only boosts affect more than it should (like the sv mistake on procs). Unless something changes, I cannot foresee any scenario where wizards catch necros. The developers fundamentally do not understand the massive boosts they keep giving dots over dds. I bet the gap gets worse in the next expansion as it should be a level increase and once again they are scrambling for aas to give classes.

The pet lag proc bug will probably be fixed before any dd centric boost putting wizards farther behind anyway.

If you mean more in general, especially in the group game...don't see it either. The current developer thinking for playability of classes in most of the game seems to have some blind spots.
    Highwizard likes this.
  11. Highwizard Augur

MMM mages who beam end up coming around me later in the raid, I can dish out some serious AE burst DPS with lots of adds with full send. I.e IOG/Bard stuff/ GGW and using destruction glyph on top, but its short lived and both these classes come around. But not always, I have been out punched during a burn from these other two classes. Annoying.
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Highwizard Augur

Honestly, I think they gave mages too much wizard power to go along with their pets.
    kizant likes this.
  13. kizant Augur

The best you can hope for with this game is that their DPS increases a little slower and melee increase a little faster and in 7 years maybe there's a little bit of balance among everyone. I can't imagine we ever get some utiltiy/pet or whatever to make soloing easier but I also don't know what would really help or make sense.
    Highwizard likes this.
  14. Highwizard Augur

A root on a cool down that is Perma root and cannot be resisted unless it is a raid boss or something. Not being able to solo current content outside of mushrooms in paludal is annoying.
    Kalipto likes this.
  15. Tekky New Member

I solo'd all the mercenary quests in DeepShade. It was not easy. I found a spot on the North East (loc 21.83, -343.13, -33.94) just off the big crystals in the middle with enough room to maneuver. Once there I would fire all the AA clickies to burn down one mob then for a full refresh before doing it again. Started with Atol's and Ice Block, lots of nuking then running and some dieing but I did it.

I think the Wizards greatest problem for soloing is summoning mobs. I have not found a way to deal with those, would love to hear if someone has.

Thinking about how to tackle summoning I keep imagining a spell line that would create an Elemental Husk. The idea would be after cast it would create a non-moving (but can be summoned) mob that inherits the Wizards current agro against the target while dropping the Wizards agro to 1. The mob comes with a decent DMG shield and has enough HP to survive 20 to 30 seconds. Each element could have a different feature, cold slows, fire extra DMG, and magic stun. The timings and power of the husk could all be tuned to make it enough to give an average Wizard a fighting chance and not break raid mobs.
    Kalipto likes this.
  16. Leex Pewpewer

Why is it every Wizard thread has so much Magician hate? Why can't you guys just focus on the Wizard class?

I would say that focusing on the Wizard class during beta and the threads that were made by a lot of players advocating for Wizards proved to be significantly more effective to get actual changes made, versus the random jabs at other classes.

Also...Also..One of the Wizards( Not Kizant! ) here posting about parses was beat by a Bard, and Enchanter. You going after them next? lol.
  17. Mahlhavoc New Member

I think it is the frustration of being an only DPS class and not being able to play it at maximum and get some top of parse results to some classes. I don't believe in the nerf hammer, that is what happened to us as a class and it hasn't turned out well.

Long ago, in a land far far away, we used to be the "Ohh!" and "Woah!" class with our huge hits. Could top parse while staying just under top aggro and being summoned to the mob. Now all the anti aggro AAs go unused, minus silent casting for burns. Now we are fortunate to be in the top 10 with a bunch of try hard.

I enjoy my Wizard still, it is fun to play and is a busy creature during raids. But back when every other class thought they should be able to do just as much damage as us it all went downhill and Mages were the top class to complain about it. SO people still hold a bit of a grudge especially when we see what they do on raids.

Most raid guilds aren't as "built" for every raid group to have full supply of ADPS and then these numbers of what we can do shrink even more as we are very reliant on others.

I am not trying to cry about it here, again, I enjoy playing my wizard and take pride in it. I just wish we were a little more as we used to be. But the full on randomness of our damage numbers are more often than not, not a blessing.

Kizant has worked his butt off to help us as a class, and we have people who speak for us and we have gotten a little better here in the recent, I just think there are a few folks who remember when it was Mages who took to the forums to bring us down, though they weren't alone on that.... I am pretty sure even clerics wanted to be up there on big hits too :D

Hopefully they will bring us back a bit more, where a Wizard, playing at his maximum, can top a parse because that player is good at it, not because we pleaded to nerf others being we are, indeed, just a pure damage class.
    Highwizard likes this.
  18. Kalipto Augur

This is a really cool idea. The husk could function like pets used to - in that it won't hold aggro off of other melee-ranged players. That way it can't tank for your group or whatever, but still has benefit to the wizard. I throw this in there because people would cry if wizards were able to do something that other classes already do.
  19. Brickhaus Augur

Not trying to extend a sort of dead thread ...

... but no. Please no. Wizards do not need anything more that resembles pets. We're not a pet class. Given the current thinking that all rare mobs should summon, wizards are just never going to be able to solo one. The world needs ditch diggers too.

To their credit, the developers seemed to have course corrected in the last few expansions and made pockets of non-summoning, snare/rootable mobs available in at least one zone for us to solo xp if needed (it's not always been this way). We still rock in group play (well, assuming you like blindness) and raid play (ditto) and someone has to be in the raid to TL to bind right?

I've got no problem with advocating for the elimination of summoning mobs (or mobs that are snare/root immune). But we're not mages. I don't play a wizard to hide from mobs (although I'm proud to run away from them ... kiting foreva!) And at this point, the game does not need to introduce another potential unbalancing mechanism (either way).
    Kalipto likes this.
  20. Kalipto Augur

I thought of it more like a husk. An in-game object that just draws aggro for a moment. But I take your point. I also don't want the wizard to be involved in pets. Familiars are as far as it should go.

It would just be nice to have some way to deal with summoning mobs. I feel like, mobs summon to prevent kiting, but there are only a few classes that even need to kite any more. Summoning feels like an old band-aid to solve an issue and it was just never looked at again.
    Nananea likes this.