Raid fights in early expansions need to be more difficult

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Name2, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Gangia New Member

As newbie-ish player I disagree.

You know how to fight those raids as you have extensive know-how and experience.
    At the same time, normal folks like me (inexperienced and "new") are unable to fight VOX even as 50 lvl necromancer...

If you want to replay those battles: you can always do them as shrouds. Try it as lvl 20 goblin or pixie or bear etc.
  2. Triconx Augur

I'll bet half the stuff isn't even raid gear. You don't even need it tradeable. There is a ton of OP twink gear with zero level req if you know where to look.

DoDh mission reward gear for example. Lots don't have a lvl req. That's gear with 150-160ish hp a pop. Werewolf skull mask no lvl req and 250hp.

Mischief isnt there yet but Spiritlight earring in SOF is 335 hp with heroics and has no lvl req. That earring is more powerful than basically half of BIS kunark equipment available. Charm of Lore is rec of 5 and is maxed at 460hp so even at two you're looking at a 200hp charm. For comparison, there's exactly ONE kunark item with 100 hp.

I'm just naming off items I know off the top of my head. Start digging and you'll eventually get a super twink.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That was how all content was designed at the time and a TLP isn't meant to change content to be different then what it was at the time. As the post quoted mentioned in era they have buffs on them that make them more difficult. In addition the twink you are complaining about has stats that are comparable to what a tank might have at that era in the game so it shouldn't be surprising that they can tank it as it just comes down to stats.

Your initial post even showed the level in the video that you posted. To not know the levels involved makes it seems you saw a video online, only partially paid attention to it and decided to complain.

Raiding in this game is a lot different as you move on to modern expansions, just because some of the early fights are boring tank and spanks doesn't mean that this is something that can be done with later expansions.
  4. Xeris Augur

??? I'm not missing the point. You're essentially asking for them to make a new game. Almost every single encounter in early EQ is tank/heal, and occasionally dodge an aoe. Nobody is claiming that this is good design or an acceptable standard. However, this is EverQuest.

If you want better raid design, either play later eras of EQ or play wow. Asking them to basically just remake classic EverQuest is kinda nonsensical.
    Crabman and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  5. Silias McKendrick Augur

This is an easy fix, make the aoe's so they cant be walled. (I'd like to see some of the VP or Sleepers mobs be done with 12 if the aoes couldnt be walled lol.

Reduce raid size to 54 in instances.

And fix bugged encounters, from spells that are not being used by the mob to the ability to cheese some encounters like Tunares pull, bypassing some trash in VT, etc.

"However, if things were fixed, I think lockout timers would need to be adjusted or expansion length. And loot should be reworked, because alot of it is just plain trash."

We were able to pretty fully equip everyone all the way through pop easily with how easy encounters are even with motm. Motm would need a rework too if mobs were actually adjusted to be a challenge again.

I would actually consider playing again if Dev's took time to rework the classic experience.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Do it in era. Anything done out of era is not valid.
    Dre., Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  7. Ishbu Augur

In 20 years this is the first time Ive ever seen someone say anything against skipping some trash in VT
    Mashef and Dre. like this.
  8. Silias McKendrick Augur

Trash is what made it hard to get the fights for loot originally. That and no abundance of gear like TLP's have and general lack of knowledge. Do not get me wrong though, I would just rather them give the bosses an whoopn make over and even drop a lot of that trash out of zone.
  9. Critt Augur

Honestly if you want difficult stop playing a 24 year old game....Seriously nothing and I mean absolutely nothing in 24 year old content will be difficult... they can make it tedious, sure that they can do but if you've been around for 20+ years it should already be tedious so just have some fun and stop trying to act like EQ is some kind of e-sport lol
    Dre. likes this.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

Dev1: "We hit the stat caps with gear, what can we do now?"
    Dev2: "Uh.. put HP on it?"
  11. Runes Augur

Name while I agree with you on a smaller scale that Raid bosses are easy early expansions, its because so many years are under people's belts to know the best methods and mechanics to beat the bosses. The example you show however of a level 2 Pally fighting Kunark mobs with gear that is outrageous and so far out of era, coupled with no MOTM on a level 60 mob and support healers and casters using spells and gear out of era, was quite silly to use as your argument example. I am not impressed in the slightest that it was a level 2 as level was made almost irrelevant.

Try the same thing with you as a 60 pally only using Kunark gear in era and use the same support casters as 60s in same Kunark era gear and tell me afterwards if the boss was too easy.
  12. Dre. Altoholic

In many games it's actually considered to be a good thing if character level/time invested is less meaningful than, say, player skill/strategy/teamwork.
  13. Mashef Augur

Tell me you are not an OG without telling me you are not an OG.

EQ was all about theory crafting, figuring out how to do things without guides, strategizing and learning mechanics of how the game worked on things like pulling, social aggro, and pathing. Believe it or not, it wasn't that easy back in 99/00. People actually had to figure it out. In addition to that, it was just hard to find content up to try and mobilize to kill without things like Discord and voice chats since Vent/TS/Mumble came along much later. I think we finally had a voice chat late in the POP era just before GoD.

Sounds simple, but there is a reason there were only a handful of successful guilds in the early days. You can never truly relive old EQ because you already know what you need to know or it is available on a quick google.

Just because everything in the game has been solved does not mean it needs change. If you find it boring, it might not just be the game for you. I think raid content from Classic-OoW is still better then any other games raid content and better then any of this new age live EQ stuff.

If they were to consider redesigning content/strats/difficulties they should just finally make an EQ Remastered version.
  14. MischiefTLP Augur

Level 15: Simple Cultural and Regal Charm (RoF) or the highest version of the Charm available on your server and then Electrum Trio with Underfoot Diamond or Taaffeite Slot 11 Jewelry. Get Glyph Spray to be immune to Spell Damage and load up on damage shield.

Or Vaniki server.
  15. Mashef Augur

Fact Check: Originally, guilds would just establish like 8 CoTH boxes to log in. It came down to who had the most in the zone first. It wasn't a challenge of clearing trash. It wasn't until recent changes that anyone had to ever clear trash outside of the first time you go to VT.
  16. Chopsuey Augur

You could try playing after the 60 era as well. When fights become a little less brain dead easy. Still not too difficult.
  17. DeadRagarr Augur

Seems like a fun setup of things to me. He even mentioned getting killed by king tormax and having to level and go back.

I want to see more. Lowest level twink Avatar of War main tank would be awesome to see.

Its just a different way to play /shrug. No need to freak out and change the entire encounter because someone can out gear it with well VERY specific situations. Your probably not going to see a guy running around in cloth armor at level 1 tanking Naggie in classic.
    Psalmz likes this.
  18. psybob Journeyman

Seriously! EQ isnt Wow. I played other games where all the toxic , banned EQ players went and started totry and make it EQ.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

I was waiting for all the dps to zone out and see how much exp the Pal would get for a solo kill :D
  20. Silias McKendrick Augur

I won't say there were not some guilds back in 2001, running with some coth bots that deep, because I am not all knowing, and I know quite a few that used some here/there but considering there was a ton of competition on each server, respawn timers were on 7 days 12+-, and the internet/pc builds being what they were then, your talking about them way past when it actually came out.