Request

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Any weapon (class specific) in the game to be able to be turned into an ornement.

Thank you :)!
    Dre. likes this.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

Imagine if we can just use the weapon itself as the ornament. Eyy!
    Zunnoab and Rijacki like this.
  3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I outgrow weapons that look cooler then what I already changed too.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

EQ 2 does this, has from very early on. In EQ 1 we have the mount tab, where you have the "stat" mount, and the "visible" mount. EQ2 has that on the character equipment screen, for all visible slots :)
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While that is a great idea it would require a new item be made for each of those weapons. In order to do this I think they would need to revamp the system so that it was an actual appearance slot that you put in an item instead of putting an aug into it to change the look.
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

What is this? The 10th time the OP has started the same thread over the past 5 years? And another thread where it is explained to him why it doesn't work that way? Just stop.
    Wdor, Act of Valor and Celephane like this.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Why would you need to have an new item made for each weapon? Just make the ornamentation slots (all of them) hold an item of the same type, ignore the stats, but have the appearance override the slotted item in the same way all other ornaments do. It would expand the ornament selection exponentially with very little effort and zero effort for the art dept and even decrease the need for "double" items. Someone might even want to have the appearance of a rusty short sword when they have a big bad sword and that would be fine, too.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Unless they make what I assume would be major code changes to make a non aug item fit into an augment slot that is what they would have to do. And once you start thinking about items with augments getting put into an augment slot looks like it will get complicated.

The way I see it is they have a few choices.

1. Make a new item to put in the slot
    2. Add new item slots that are used to override apperance
    3. Recode how items and augments work allowing you to place an item into a slot to override appearance.

To me that 3rd option doesn't sound like it would be easy and adding true appearance slots would be easier and remove the need to swap things around when you upgraded your equipment.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

ORNAMENTATION slots already override the appearance of the item that has one in the slot. At this time, only an ornament of a type can fit into an ornamentation slot. Ornaments have no stats. In my opinion, it would be less difficult to make the Ornament slot be able to take any item that's the same as the item being slotted with, as ornaments do now, overriding the appearance using the item in the slot. In case this is all new to you, weapon slot items have an ornamentation slot that's FREE to all characters. The visible armor slots also all have an ornamentation slot but it requires an unlock (1000DB) per character (my under-geared level 107 wizard has her ornamentations unlocked just to be able to wear 'goofy' hats which are even goofier on a froglok).
    [IMG]

In EQ2, there are Appearance slots (no unlock, you just get them on every character) that override the appearance of the visible armor/weapon in the same slot. EQ2 doesn't have ornaments, anything of a specific slot can go into the slots. There are some items which are statless 'just for appearance' items, like the scarf and outfit my gnomess is wearing. As long as your character can wear or use the item in the specific slot, you can put it into the appearance slot. A wizard can't put a 'real' 2-handed sword in an appearance slot (i.e. one that could be wielded in a normal weapon slot by a fighter), but if there is an appearance (statless) one that can be used by a wizard, it can be put into an appearance slot. Same with items above the character's level, they can't be equipped in normal slots so can't be equipped in the appearance slots. Anything equipped in the appearance tab only overrides the visual of the specific slot (some chest items, like robes or the outfit, visually cover more than the chest, just like in EQ) and gives 0 stats. The great slots on the appearance tab are echos of the equipment tab but have no visuals.
    [IMG]

EQ2 also now has Wardrobe slots, which are, I think, stored items for appearance by saving or associating the visual of an item while it is taken out of inventory (kind of like what I remember of attuned appearance items in DCUO doing) but those slots need to be unlocked mostly with DB cash. I am fuzzy on what they do 'cause I haven't been playing EQ2 much in the last several years. I play a little from time to time mostly to do things with my Sweetie who is still an avid EQ2 player.

But... in summation, the ORNAMENTATION slots in EQ should be a lot more like the appearance slots in EQ and be able to use -any- item that would be equippable in the actual slot. A chest item with stats that the character could equip should be usable in the Ornamentation slot of a chest item equipped by the character with the visual taken from the ornamentation slot without any of the stats from an item in the ornamentation slot. (That I also think the non-weapon ornamentation slots shouldn't have a per-character unlock is a different argument.) A sword with stats that the character could equip should be usable in the Ornamentation slot of a sword (or maybe even of any 1-handed weapon, like weapon ornaments currently) with the visual being used from the ornament slot without any added stats.
    Tatanka likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, I understand how they work, I am just saying it would very likely be more work then you think to make them able to put any type of item in them instead of ones designed for it. And what you are talking about in EQ2 is what I was suggesting for EQ1 where it just lets you equip an item in those slots and it overrides the current look
    Wdor likes this.
  11. Celephane Augur

Read Ngreth's posts in the other threads about this same subject and see why this is incredibly difficult and time consuming to do. He has a regular job dealing with other difficult things to do. Weapons don't just have a skin you can copy and use somewhere else. ALSO, comparing EQ2 to EQ1 is silly...they figured things out and did them differently, so they would work they way they dol. You can't just do that retroactively without a ton of effort.
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Just have magus sell an item to remove the stat making it an augumentation.
  13. HighSpawnRate New Member

The difficulty isn't in how the player would use them, but that the game doesn't support that feature and they would have to add it. Your suggestion is one of the hardest to do actually. They would have to create an ornamentation for every item. That is a lot of work and effort, arguably a lot more work than other options.

Wdor and Dre. like this.
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

It was worth a try to ask :)
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that goes back to my first point of them having to make a new item and recipe to turn all those weapons into ornamentations.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Anything else to note?
  17. Tucoh Augur

1. Do whatever work needs to happen to implement this. The bit about it being soooo hard is probably sandbagging nonsense. Sorry Ngreth.
    2. Sell the item to enable it on a weapon for a million or two plat. Then sell it for $10 on the marketplace.
    3. Make $$$$
    Veteran_BetaTester and Rijacki like this.
  18. Zunnoab Augur

This is a good idea and I'd love for any equipment to double as an ornament. Many MMORPGs do that.

My level 12 enchanter (now 118 due to 100 heroics and triple experience) had a really neat robe I'd love to still use.
    Veteran_BetaTester and Rijacki like this.
  19. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I like several of the the old robe graphics and my wizard and enchanter both have a collection of them in their inventory. I would love to use them. My new 85 mage has an apprentice robe from Erudin that's the perfect look for her and I can't replicate it. I would definitely unlock her Hero's Armor if I could use the OLD robe as an ornament. None of the cloth or leather chest item ornaments are appealing in the same way.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  20. Cicelee Augur

We should ignore and disregard all requests for class balance, zone lag, zoning lag, and upcoming expansion content and instead divert all focus and resources to how your weapon looks.

I swear some of you would rather dress up your Barbie dolls when you were a kid than actually play with your Barbie dolls...
    Nennius likes this.