There should be a keypress to mute/unmute all sound

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bernel, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Bernel Augur

It would be really nice to have a quick way to mute/unmute game sound. I know there's many existing ways to accomplish this--use the volume sliders, mute all Windows sound, use the Windows advanced sound settings to just mute EQ, etc.--but those are all clumsy and inconvenient. If you just want to temporarily mute sounds from the EQ client, it would be very convenient to hit a keypress to mute/unmute the game. Ideally, this keypress would also work at the character select since that has attack sounds and background music.
  2. HighSpawnRate New Member

Every keyboard I've ever personally owned in the last 10 or so years has had a mute button on it.
    Straahdx and Duder like this.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

The OP is for a hot key for in-game sound toggle on and off.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

1. Get AutoHotkey

Code:
    ScrollLock::
    SoundSet, +1, , mute
    return
    2. Save the code as AHK Mute.ahk (create a textfile and rename it) and put it into the Windows autorun folder:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

3. Right click the file and run the script.

4. Press ScrollLock key (Upper right block near F12) for toggle mute/unmute
    Knifen, Svann2 and Bernel like this.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Muting all of Windows sound does mute the game but doesn't help if you need sound in Windows in general but want EQ muted, for example, if you need to switch to a non-game-related voice (or video) chat while you're doing something in game. While the game sounds might not be broadcast into your conversation (i.e. if you're wearing headphones), but the noises would be playing with/over the conversation.
    Vumad, Kaenneth and Fenthen like this.
  6. Bernel Augur

Right. Just to be clear, I only want EQ sounds muted, not all sounds from all programs. I want to be able to watch videos, listen to my own music, have Zoom calls, etc. In instances like that, rather than quitting EQ, I'll just alt-tab to a browser or whatever to do something else. But then I'm hearing EQ sounds over whatever I'm trying to watch.

I have found some free/shareware programs that do this. Some have a GUI which lists the programs using sounds and you can individually mute them. Some have a command line (eg. C:\ToggleSound "eqgame"). But it would be more convenient to be able to do this in EQ itself with a simple keypress to toggle sound.

I would compare it to being able to mute a tab in a browser. In some browsers, if a page in the tab is using sound, there's an icon in the tab which allows you to mute that tab. That doesn't mute the sound in other tabs or change anything about the system sounds. It just mutes whatever sounds are coming from that tab. That's the behavior I want in EQ.

Having a keypress to toggle sound in an EQ window will also allow me to have multiple EQ windows running and have the sound muted or not in different clients depending on my needs. For example, if I'm boxing multiple clients, I can have all but one muted so that I'm not hearing several copies of the same sounds at the same time. Certainly muting the other clients can be done today by changing their sound sliders in their settings window, but that's not very convenient if I just want their sound muted temporarily.
    Waring_McMarrin and Rijacki like this.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

In other words, you want to be able to play EQ without the game music, actions, etc. sounds coming through your speakers to your mic on your camera while in a work meeting, correct? ;)
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Or on a call with Mom. How does she know the instant I start gaming even though I live 2 time zones and a country away and have been out of college more than a couple decades?
    Sissruukk, Nennius and Vumad like this.
  9. Duder Augur

The options menu… it takes a negligible amount of time to move the sliders down if you so need. Or open your volume controls via right clicking the speaker icon in your system tray, go to the slider for EQ and push the mute button. This really is a windows issue. I can’t think of a single other game with such a feature. If you add a button that does that it will cause FAR more problems than having you manage your own sounds ingame OR in windows like any other user of a computer.
  10. FranktheBank Augur

Bruh... get a second monitor.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Check behind your left ear for a small freckle. It's an advanced tracking device that allows Moms to surveille their children anywhere on the planet. Quite ingenious really.
    Elyssanda and Rijacki like this.
  12. Zarkdon Augur

Mom's are amazingly good at that kind of thing.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And having to undo it when you are ready to turn on sound again and get it back to the correct volume levels takes longer. Much easier to manage in game audio with a mute all sounds feature/hotkey and I see no reason why that would cause any problems.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. MachoSod Lorekeeper

I completely agree with you! This would be so nice. I have this weird glitch in windows 11 that if I mute all sounds it drops EQ from my sound mixer (in windows 11). This results in all eq sounds staying muted when I unmute the system since eq doesn’t show as an “app” in the mixer. The only way I have found to fix it, is to camp out quit eq and reload it. Super annoying. So now I just slider the volume down to 5%. If I go too far and slide it all the way down it mutes and drops from
    Mixer… so annoying.