Would you play on a "Legends" TLP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gnomie, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Gnomie Denser than most

I was thinking back on the Stormhammer server that came out in 2002. And while the price was a bit steep, it was a lot of fun having frequent GM interactions, unique quests and items, Character trackers on the website, etc.

Would anyone out there play a TLP that had a higher subscription cost, but had regular GM events, and a lot of the features that Stormhammer Had? I know a lot of the event coordinators are volunteer guides anyways, so I doubt it'd be too tough to fire up the manpower for it.
    Xanathol, Kuriel and Brontus like this.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Great suggestion! I'd play on a deluxe Legends type server in a heartbeat. To me, the Legends server was what the EverQuest experience was originally like with gamemasters creating exicting live events and quests. I performed GM sanctioned live events, quests, and role-play events for EQ for a few years and the players loved them.

To make it worth the extra price, it would need to have lots of features to sweeten the deal. I'd like to see the NO TRADE flag removed from all loot and with the addtion of new perks and discounted perks. I'd like to see multi-box friends and family discounts. I'd like see to all keying requirements removed from every zone too.

This kind of unique server would be a cash cow for Darkpaw. I hope they will consider it. :)
  3. Zorglub Journeyman

I agree :)
    Brontus likes this.
  4. manglered Lorekeeper

you could call it "pay to win"
    Xhartor and Brildon like this.
  5. Mossaa Augur

You want family discounts on a server that is supposed to cost like 5 times as much in subscription then the current servers does. I guess if you want GM's to be on this server all the time, you need to pay for it. Not even sure if 5 x the current subscription price would be enough.
    Brildon and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  6. Appren Gnomercy

I'll have to say...no.
    Brildon likes this.
  7. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Waste of dev time and money.
    Skuz, Lineater and Brildon like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It shoulda been named Karenhammer due to amount of entitlement that server fostered, many EQ players there thought they deserved something special way above & beyond what the server ever intended to provide and it made the CS team lives hell - they hated that server like no other before it.

It's a no from me dawg.
    code-zero, Loup Garou and Appren like this.
  9. Stymie Pendragon

I played on Stormhammer for 2 months after it launched. The events were mostly scheduled when I was at work or unable to play for other reasons. After paying for the second month I transfered because I didn't see the value.
  10. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

One interesting byproduct, it wouldn't see the krono-lords. If the sub was more expensive a single krono wouldn't cover it so they couldn't pay for their box army by selling loot.
    Brontus likes this.
  11. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Behold, another example of the most commonly used justification trotted out by armchair video game designers and tall poppy trimmers on this forum to justify Darkpaw not veering from the mindless path of releasing cookie cutter expansions and TLP servers. They claim to think and speak for the devs. The devs can think and speak for themselves.

I'd also like to see an official poll from Darkpaw to see if the players are interested in such a server.

A Legends type server is the closest thing so the original EQ experience that I can think of. Sadly, a few people on these forums either never really experienced anything like that or have simply forgotten it existed. They are here day in and day out making excuses for the status quo.
    Xanathol likes this.
  12. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I think more players should feel entitled. Players should hold MMO studios more accountable to deliver more value for their money. Great MMO studios make billions of dollars, not so great MMO studios are lucky to make a few million.

By the way, they are called gamemasters, not customer service reps dawg. There were no customer service reps in Dungeon & Dragons, they were called gamemasters. The gamemaster concept was introduced into EQ to replicate the function of gamemasters in D&D which is to run quests and events as well as to provide policy enforcement. GM in EQ literally translates to gamemaster.

Do you have any concrete evidence to share with us that backs up your assertion that GMs hated working on the server?
  13. TheRealMuramx Elder

coming from someone who wants a PvP TLP? lol.....
    TLP Addict likes this.
  14. MMOer Augur

Id pay more just to have a cheat free server with some events that gave out nice items and titles each week.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From what I remember the legends server was shut down due to the large amount of CS work that it generated and the extra revenue wasn't covering the costs.
    Appren, code-zero and Skuz like this.
  16. Hirbow Augur

I would play it 100% and happily pay 3x extra for controlling botters and enforcing rules
    I would also would love to see a Firiona Vie TLP that would eventually merge with Vie : no boxing , Rp server , maybe free trade but not extra random loot crap, and no one can use their 500 Kronos they made in mischief
  17. Appren Gnomercy

Wouldn't surprise me, the amount of entitled Karens on that server must have been awful, and would be much worse today, I fear, with how society is moving...
  18. Numzan Augur

Actually, you have no basis for facts on this. A GM is not a Dev. You also have no polls proving that players may actually return to the game if they did a special server ruleset. It really would depend on the population returning. I doubt it would split the Krono farming servers now, that exist. You have to diversify all the time as a business, and as far as i know EQ is a business. Just saying think outside the box.
    Brontus likes this.
  19. Numzan Augur

What year was that again? times change, and games have changed away from the EQ model. So, it might be hard to tell without doing some polls and pre orders. I really can't remember when or if that server thing existed.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, times do change but it doesn't seem that they are spending more on cs these days and that will still be a big concern for a legends style server.
    Numzan likes this.