$70 for a port clickie?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Oct 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demi Augur

I'm opposite of VBT (Veteran Beta-Tester) :=) I have 8 accounts that i use more or less .. and I buy the collector's or premium for my main account and then when they go on sale i'll buy the standard for all my accounts and will upgrade (if i did not buy the premium) to premium or even the F&F on my main ..

this year I only upgraded to the ToL collector's edition due to nothin really shouted out to me and I got a Ahkevan illusion thru a friend for like 2m pp the Tiarra one.. and I know i can get the owlbear saddle thru champion/paragon of ToL once im done with it ..

I think im gonna pre-order the premium edition of NoS next month for my main cause its got an illusion I like (or at least it looks good from pic) plus i wanted the extra 240 TS depot slots .. and i'll also be buying NoS standard for my other 4 alt accounts that i use regularly. I think the TS depot is gonna be a game changer. will save alot of bank space and housing space. I only hope that you can actually access it anywhere and not have to be at a bank ?
  2. Duder Augur

For me, it’s not so much about price as it is about the value of the content of the entire expansion. With the exception of the Rallos Zek Earring from ToV, I feel that every dollar I paid into the past 3 expansions has been a waste. For this upcoming expansion I had already planned to not purchase anything above basic for only 1 acct (I usually buy 2 higher-end and 2-3 basics). So I had planned to just buy one basic this year. Then I thought, we’ll, the only reason I’m buying it at all is to maintain friendships and I do enjoy my Druid as well as my shm so I will buy them both basic. But, since Beta has released and I am seeing more content, I am thinking… this looks like a waste again. No news on evolving items, no creative hype/input from devs, …looks like a boring poorly made expansion that will likely be worse than the last two. So I am now leaning to skipping it altogether.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  3. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I'm not a fan of providing charity to a multi-billion dollar company. If DPG was out on it's own I probably would not mind throwing them extra dollars if they were being good stewards of the ones already gave them.
  4. kizant Augur

I'm pretty sure corporations are people so it's not any different.
    Coagagin and KushallaFV like this.
  5. Tappin Augur

What is the point of making an extra investment in something with little to no return? If they don't want to invest it back into EQ, then at least give us stuff that is worth the extra cash spent on premium editions.
  6. kizant Augur

Who says none of it is going back to EQ?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

Same. Got 2 family and friends. For 2 accounts and then eight 35 dollar expansions. For the army.
  8. Treeconix Elder

Corporations are not people. There are people who are in a corporation. That's vastly different.
  9. Tappin Augur

Why do we keeping getting SSDE while games like EQ2 keep getting new and nice stuff? We have good idea where EQ stands in terms of revenue, but it doesn't appear to be invested into this game. I get that there things are being worked on behind the scenes, but what project has been worked lately that actually wasn't delayed forever, and worked out the box?
    Duder likes this.
  10. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

We are Corporation.

Refrain from testing the legal notion of our corporate personhood or juridical personality via injurious remarks.

Please purchase our soft wares.

Corporation values you.
    Marton, kizant and Astral64 like this.
  11. Duder Augur

VERY well said. Their stewardship is an atrocious failure.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The game is still running after 23 years, and is still profitable enough to support itself and other projects. That is some damn fine stewardship. Especially, when you compare to similar games that came out at the same time and were equally popular. If there stewardship was even close to what you are claiming, then the game would have been dead and gone long before now.
    Nennius and minimind like this.
  13. Duder Augur

Perhaps I am overly critical, as well, perhaps you are a bit blind as to how much is actually wrong with the game and the way they maintain it. YEARS to fix gamebreaking bugs that are identified quickly as to what patch introduced them, etc., is not acceptable. 23 years certainly is commendable but at this point in time they exhibit a hardly working knowledge of their own game, have s laughable "quality assurance" program, and knowingly push bugs live with intent to fix them...later. Often months or years later. That, along with dismal server performance equals anything but good or even acceptable stewardship. They need to sundown this hardly floating jalopy and get some young blood on the team to reinvent the wheel. Because this wheel hasnt been true for many years and the treads fell off 15 years ago.
    Fenthen likes this.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

No one is forcing you to play this game much less purchase anything.

Many players enjoy EQ’s generous F2P model in contrast to the subs required for WoW and FF14.

For folks who tout the virtues of other games, they spend quite a bit of time on about EQ.
    Coagagin, Shanarias and Nennius like this.
  15. Tappin Augur

They haven't done anything since TBL besides make it easier to regurgitate old content with the use of copy + paste. I will go even further than Duder - instead of fixing known bugs, they just remove features. I get these strange vibes that the programmers working on this game, want nothing to do with it.
    Coagagin, Fenthen and Duder like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

WoW has a model where you can play with a subscription by buying an item in game just as EQ has the krono to allow people full access to the game without paying. The only thing required in either game is purchasing of expansions.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

It's the "other projects" part that I, and a lot of other people, take issue with. I want every penny I spend on EQ going back into EQ...not dragging along the other games.

But that doesn't happen. That's why the tired argument of "just pay the extra cash to support the game" is complete nonsense. The extra cash is supporting "other projects", not EQ.
    MasterMagnus and Stymie like this.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

The point I was trying to make is that DPG does not control it's revenue stream, therefore it makes no sense to spend extra money on it to "support the game." If they offer something I want, I'll go with the higher priced expansion pack. If they do not then I am not going to spend that extra money just because I enjoy the game.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The problem with the "not a single penny" to "a small fraction" of my money goes to EQ narrative contributes to a self-fulfilling prophecy. If everyone ascribes to that view and withholds their money (coordination problem), EQ will inevitably go into maintenance mode or sunset. Decision-makers will see little reason (based on little to no revenue) to continue supporting the game. (Welcome to the markets - most of us hold investment vehicles and expect earnings from our investments). In fact, unless the EG7 earnings report is fully broken down, I suspect a sizeable portion of revenue goes towards paying staff.

For a comparative analogy. The typical markup for a restaurant is between 200% and 600%. In reality, most people should hunt or farm and cook their own food. However, beyond the convenience of eating out, people like the experience and support the local community and culinary arts.

It's an individual decision on how one wants to support the game but perpetrating the narrative that money is not reinvested into EQ (based on limited data in the EG7 report) is detrimental. EQ is in a far better place than vaporware or more "predatory schema" games (e.g. Pay-to-Win or power sold through gambling crates). And no, I do not believe they should sell anything that would "force us" to buy higher priced expansion packs.
  20. Tappin Augur

Most people play EQ for entertainment. If they don't provide sufficient enough value for that money spent, then they are going to sunset anyways. All that is being asked here is to provide a reason to buy the collectors addition, beside the same old regurgitated stuff we have gotten over the last several expansions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.