when does betacopy start?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

see title
  2. I_Luv_Foraging Journeyman

3. Soulbanshee Augur

When they "turn on beta", which was probably a few weeks ago if not longer. I think I remember a dev having previously stated the copy script only runs overnight, and only when they internally push a build. I may be forgetting if they ended up unlinking the actions, but there could be some nights that characters are not copied over if theres not a build run. I would have a general expectation that a build should be going out tonight at least, or that the script will be run so we have our characters on day 1.
  4. klanderso Developer

The script runs every morning after Beta builds.
    Yinla, Zunnoab and Meeko like this.
  5. Elemental Augur

Just type /beta
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yep, but it doesn't do any good if they are not running the script to copy toons over and they clear the /beta queue before turning it on.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

I've seen deltas coming through the beta patcher, its running.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, and beta is up and patching all year round as that is the server devs use for a lot of their work. The point was it isn't just a matter of running /beta but also needing the process for it to be running. Just because they have enabled external users to patch doesn't mean that everything else is setup.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

I don't think I've seen launcher pull down anything after they shut it off to users and before its ready again for expansion beta. I was equating that to the character copy running. Maybe, maybe not.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, that is true because they have the ability to control access to both the files that the patcher accesses as well as the server itself. However just because you can access files does not mean that the character process is setup and ready for players to use as that is a different process. Either way I was responding to someone giving instructions on how to do the process which wasn't what was being asked in the question which was if it was running.
  11. Zunnoab Augur

Years ago the patcher worked year round regardless of your account's beta server access. That changed a long time ago when they moved patching to after player login.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Riou EQResource

A week ago when they let CRT's have their 1 week early access
    CrazyLarth likes this.
  13. Slasher Augur

Probably whenever the beta launcher started downloading the files for it not sure if that was longer than a week ago.
  14. Deillusional Augur

My character not copied yet, I did a /beta yesterday, do I redo /beta or leave it alone?
  15. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

My /beta that I did yesterday copied over for today. I know it was run, and works!
    If yours didn't copy over, maybe re-do /beta?
  16. Soulbanshee Augur

Be careful with redoing beta command, theres no graceful way it handles character conflicts and could end up getting your info corrupted and unable to copy a character unless the info is manually removed.
  17. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

I've only ever seen it replace the existing character, meaning it will pull you from the guild / undo your beta AAs, etc. Not to say that what Soulbanshee mentioned does not occasionally happen.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

In the past it would bug a character out leaving a ghost copy in a guild preventing them from joining again. That has been fixed but there can be other issues as well.
    Fenthen likes this.
  19. Zunnoab Augur

I'm not sure if it was caused by multiple copies but for ToV beta we did have a bugged guild member that shared the same ID or something with someone totally different so we'd get really weird things like them seeing rsay and group chat and counting in the group so the guild member would show in group on the raid roster but in group it would be the total stranger and disbanding the group but keeping people in the raid would magically add him to the raid roster.

I assume it was a unique case, and it may not have been related to multiple copy commands, but it was weird. Basically, they may have fixed the past issues but I wouldn't repeat the copy unless necessary.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

I had something weird last year. I joined serverwide.bards on my beta Svann and when I went back to the live server I couldnt join it for a while because it said Im already on it.