Bring back plat drops

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gatts, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Alnitak Augur

1) Selling Kronos does not generate platinum in the economy, is just transfers existing platinum from some other player.
    3) Is just a method to reduce need for platinum, not the way to generate it.
    4) Bazaar trading only transfers platinum from a buyer to a seller, it does not generate platinum in the economy.
    You have also left out a 5) Buy Bags of Platinum with loyalty crowns or DBC.
    So, it leaves only 2) Kill monsters for platinum reward in form of items to sell to merchants or directly with platinum loot.
    2 issues here are mixed up - distribution between money and items for sale in monster loot and amount of that loot.
    I think, that in latest expansions and with latest changes the amount of platinum dropped by monsters replaced the loot in form of items for sale to merchants. I definitily see much more pp received as monster killing rewards.
    However, the issue is the absolute amount of the platinum dropped - it is simply not enoough to cover modern-era required expenses. Money is out of balance these days. Much more pp should be collected from monster killing than it is collected today. Just to balance out much higher expenses.

And to explain myself better - I have million and millions of pp distributed across my accounts. Many, many millions and several Kronos I purchased with even more millions. And I have accumulated the bulk of those millions by selling to other players. Only several of millions I have earned by looting items from monsters, which I have sold later to merchants directly or after the tradeskill combines.
    But none of those sales to merchants came from loot from latest expansions. I farmed older expansions for much higher profits. I don't think it benefits anyone my farming of older zones for platinum.

I think one way to fix the situation would be to make some merchants purchase some no-trade gear from current expansion for the tribute-value prices. Most of the low-end items are sold to merchants at exactly that - tribute value. This way I would gladly farm current-era nameds for a chance to loot some 25-30K pp gear I can dump onto a merchant. Nameds are rare enough no not make me reacher than if I broadcast a sale of looting rights for some expansion ore from the same named for much higher prices than that.
    All it takes - adjust merchant bying rule so they would buy a no-trade gear. People tribute it anyway, this way they would have pp to buy needed items and spells.
  2. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I agree.

But some things to keep in mind:

The Bags of Plat are only available to Paid accounts. F2P cannot buy those off the loyalty merchant

There are a few "older" zones that if you go and kill for 20-30 minutes you should net about 20k. That's 1k a minute. So yes, one might have to put a little time into it but when my merc money is running low or I see a new spell I want then I just hop over to one of those zones and go wild.

I am level 120 but going to a level 80 zone to fund my adventures. Its not perfect but its a sign of how backward plat is in this game

The "luck" stat that increasing the amount of plat from a mob and the "bonus perk" are both so minimal that they are not worth the effort.
  3. Astifen New Member

Alnitak, I know the transfer of platinum compared to new platinum is different. I was simply trying to differentiate a seasoned level 120, max AA, non lazy player that has grown in game wealth over the new or returning player.
    The seasoned vet will of course have way more Plat than the new kid in town. The issue comes down to how it hurts those new or returning players.
    I had to buy and sell a few Kronos to help buy spells and gear when I was coming back. This is way different from back in older expansions. For newer players there is the gap between Plat making as you naturally progress compared to cost of new spell and armor upgrades.
    This is a giant wall for new/returning, where seasoned vets see a tiny speed bump with a platinum sink to take money out of circulation.
    Platinum sinks are fine in the game, but it shouldn't be set as an entry cost to new areas and expansions.
    Hence the reason I agree with the return of vendor trash that sells decently. If not that, the raising of platinum dropped. Third option, probably the best, just lower vendor item costs to be back in line with what you are potentially making as you level.
    MacDubh likes this.
  4. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

The merchant perk could could close the gap between NPC buy and sell prices instead. As long as they are careful not to make an infinite plat exploit.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

All plat no vendor loot takes away a large part of the game - inventory management!
    :p
    Annastasya likes this.
  6. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I'm still confused on whose Luck stat gets used for the currency.
  7. Ravanta Suffer Augur

What? People think 10% is not a huge amount of increase to plat gains?

If you have a 10% bonus, and your friend doesn't....you literally earn 10% more than him. That is a very nice bonus.
  8. josh Augur

Don't bring back plat drops on mobs, in fact, decrease the amount of garbage mobs drop.
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

That's a problem I'd love to have if the devs gave us a sort and stack button. :)
    MacDubh likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I figured it was the main looters, but good question.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Diamonds can be purchased from Sagacious Great Jade in Stratos.

However, Blue Diamonds cannot be purchased from NPCs (other than vendor diving) and need to drop. If they are not dropping from mobs, that needs to be fixed. They are an important tradeskill item and should be dropping from modern content.

And, of course, if Diamonds are not dropping from mobs, then the amount of platinum they drop has to compensate.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

When your split is calculated, your Luck can add to your split amount. So, if the rest of your party gets 12 platinum (no Lucky bonus happened), you might get 15 if your Luck happens.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

I disagree. There are tons of TS items that drop only from certain expansions, and I dont see that its useful that they keep dropping in every expac forever. If someone is skilling up TSs they can always go back to the expansions that drop them.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Doing Underfoot hunters and im making a ton of pp from drops to sell to vendor.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I like my Pink Diamond's not worth anything but very pretty!
    Kaenneth likes this.
  16. Annastasya Augur

Getting rid of mob vendor drops is just one change among many that are leading this game down the road where Mobile games end up. Press touch screen, gain reward.

i for one, don't want that. i want there to still be a reason to find some dark corner and slaughter mobs, and have it be rewarding in a variety of ways. None of which have to be more efficient or fun or rewarding than doing quests, or missions or the other kind of gaming that involves other players.

To me, it's the same problem if a dev creates a quest that noone wants to experience, as when a dev creates a trash mob spawn that noone ever kills. All these elements in your game should call for some level of attention. They don't have to be equal but they should never be set to zero.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

T3 vis items require a 28.5k item per armor piece. There are 7 vis items. That's 200k.
    The T2 raid items are 38.5k each. That's $269.5.
    There is no way to use T1, T2 or T1R items to make these items, so if a player needs to make multiple tiers, the prices are even higher. Example, Many people Made T2/3 BP and Raid BPs because of the focus, so some people made up to 4 BPs this expansion.

The T3 and T2R items almost all are about $15k per container. I think that's about $225k if you only make 1 set.

Type 3 augs are over 15k each. Sure, you can buy perfected with loyalty, I get that, but also need those for some type 13 augs, etc. It's not inexpensive.

As for spells, sure, waiting is an option for some, but many of us have spells that simply don't work at all if we don't have the new ones, so waiting for T2/3 spells to drop so we can Mez, Paci, Charm, etc in the expansion isn't an option.

And hopefully someone can craft for you, because T3 aug containers are 100k plat per in the baz on my server.

I hear your points, we can certainly just say T3 and T2 raid armor isn't for everyone, but why gate keep there? Why is a Fully geared group player needing to budget 500k-1mil plat per expansion? Isn't there a better place to absorb plat back into the game than keeping these items out of the reach of lower playtime players?

All that said, I don't have a huge problem with any of it, except for the cost of visible items having to be eaten. There should be an option to turn a T1 vis item and $X plat into a vendor to get a T2 regent, then again for T3.
    Zunnoab, Velisaris_MS and MacDubh like this.