End Game Raiding LIVE

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Murakami, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Strawberry Augur

Why did you ask this question anyway.

You're not going to improve your chances to get into end-game by playing a certain class. Whatever class a guild looks for is just random, it's guild and server specific, and it changes throughout the year.

What an endgame guild wants from you is that you play...that you log in every night for 4 hours...and that you play.

EQ's raiding population is not growing, raid guilds just want bodies, people who play consistently, dedication. You can teach a player how to play, you can't teach them to log into the game.

Raid guilds want your time. And it's important to ask yourself if they are worth your time. Some people raid for years, but many burn out too.

Some claim they raid for fun, to others it is simply an addiction, a constant dopamine hit to get new gear. For me it was the later, and I simply quit like many others before me. It's the same in every other MMO, raid guilds simply want your time, the game wants your time, and the class you actually play is not that relevant, you are just a cog in a machine.
    Maedhros and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

@OP

Don’t let the forum hostility dissuade your interest in the game.

Come join on FV and we got guilds that are going to help you get caught up and get a feel for raiding.
    minimind likes this.
  3. Syylke_EMarr Augur

This. Play the class that is the most fun for you. You'll learn it better and be a better player, making you a better candidate to join a raiding guild. And you'll enjoy your time playing, keeping you around during the long, boring stretches of farming between expansions.

Every class is desired by some guild raiding end game content. There is no "Pick this class and instantly get invited."
    Kialya likes this.
  4. Robnie Augur

idk bards pretty close
  5. The real Sandaormo Augur

Player behind the keyboard matters, even within a given class you will see a wide range of dps or skill doing that classes job. It's why most guilds, even if not recruiting your class or even at all will look at exceptional players and try to squeeze them in if its possible.
    Kialya and minimind like this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

This pretty much covers it from a general perspective.

If you're looking to get into raiding and want to chose the right classes I recommend:
    1. Choosing a server (I recommend my server, bristlebane)
    2. Looking at the raiding guilds on that server (someone on that server can tell you who they are) and what classes they need on https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.25/
    3. Creating a 3box team that includes a plate tank, bard/enc and whatever class seems to be in demand in those guilds.

If you can level/gear up, talk with those guilds in discord (or whatever) and demonstrate competency and reliability you can get into a raiding force pretty easily.
  7. p2aa Augur

- Which class is dealing the most dps, straight up, hard numbers.
    Necro

- Which class helps the others in the team the most, and still stick on the dps list.
    Bard

- Which class is the most wanted class for end game raiding?
    Cleric / Bard probably

- Which tank is the best?
    Contrary to a so called "popular" belief seen in some posts, Warrior is certainly not "needed" to raid, this is an outdated view, any tank is interchangeable in the raid content, more explaination below

- Which healer is most wanted in the end game raiding?
    Cleric, Druids / Shamans in raid don't have enough tools to keep tanks alive on hard hitters mobs.

Now on the tank subject, there are first of all a few inaccuracies, especially here

Tanking parity is there, Passive tanking mitigation is + 1 % in favor of Warriors. Warrior have more active tanking abilities, but Knights compensate it by some very good self healing power.

Warrior less good than knights to grab aggro ? Warrior single target aggro is better than Paladin one, and on par with SK.

AC caps ? Huh ? the + 2 % or so softcap doesn't do anything really. I repeat : Warrior have more active tanking abilities, but Knights compensate it by some very good self healing power.

So, Good skilled knights are perfectly viable to MT Raid Bosses, will they require a bit more healing than a warrior ? That's possible, but you can definately doing current raid content with 0 Warrior in raid, as long as you have decent clerics. As a proof, look at the damage output of raid adds. They hit nearly as hard as Boss and are tanked fine by either knight. Warriors MT Raid Bosses because this is an old habit.

So any tank is interchangeable in raid content, tanking Boss or Adds, you just need a certain number of tanks in raid to do content.
    Cadira likes this.
  8. Symbius Augur

1) DoT and pet classes. The king of DoT's being Necro and the king of pets being Mage usually come 1-2. This game is all about casters at the moment. Anyone that can DoT is going to rule them all. Side benefit, the worse your overall guild is, the better your DoT classes will look.

2) Enchanter and Bard. Both can put up respectable DPS numbers and boost the rest through the roof. One could argue Druid here as well, since they are a DoT class, so they can parse extremely high with still boosting the caster groups, but their primary concern is still healing the group. Just depends on if you consider them a "support" or not.

3) Most wanted has to be a toss up between Cleric and Bard. Tanks and DPS are interchangeable to still get things done, but you can't do squat without Healing and Bard mains are rare, so everyone wants them.

4) All the tanks can do each others roles pretty well. SK's and Warriors can DPS like DPS classes, so they can fill multiple roles. It really is kind of a toss up between all 3 though.

5) At the moment probably Druid because everyone wants the over-powered Caster groups going, but Clerics will always be desired.

6) DPS is king and will always make EQ easier. Unless something MAJOR changes during the next expansion then it will continue being the Caster show. So if your wish is to be a top parser, go a caster with DoT's or Pet.
  9. Windance Augur

Well said.
  10. Chaffe Journeyman

My 2 cents. I play primarily on FV, and between the three raiding guilds there are huge differences in what is "needed" class wise. Bards are always needed? I thought this as well. I joined a guild on Emarr with my bard. There were nights I was the only bard present, and still asked to switch to my shaman when we would have several on the raid already. It didn't make any sense to me, but I wasn't in charge so shrug.

My point if there is even one, is what's needed, what's best, are not questions answered in a vacuum. Your server, the guild you are in, who is forming your raids...all impact your experience. I'd recommend checking "locally" ie ask the guild you will raid with. Avoid chasing the roster needs though...they always morph and change. Play the class that will keep you logging in for fun.
  11. Zunnoab Augur

We don't use alts (I'm grateful for the turnout), but hypothetically I would only ask this if there was a critical lack of healing necessitating the shaman to fill out a melee/ranger DPS group or in general, or if the excellent AE heals were needed more, since dead DPS is no DPS.
  12. FranktheBank Augur

We could never recruit another wizard (in their current form) and I think we would be just fine lol.

Like Rob said, Bards are probably as close to getting instant invited (or at least allowed to recruit/app), unless you are one of the rare guilds that has 9+ bard mains.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

For us it is shaman, get a decent shaman app in and we will bite your hand off, still have to pass trial. Shaman seem to be extremely rare.
  14. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

whee the rangers kz =/
  15. kizant Augur

Rangers are good but not Shaman good. Even if ours are lazy and don't DPS.
  16. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

lol
  17. Highwizard Augur

Be nice if the Wizard was on this list...but its not XD. Maybe one day they will adjust this class same for monks.
  18. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

This is not why.

Warriors don't do adds because they have no range aggro abilities, and are generally terrible at AE threat in general. Shadow Knights win in this area, hands down.

Warriors main tank because they can grab aggro and go AFK for 5 minutes at a time. Also because their utility in a raid if not tanking is basically zero. Not zero, but very close to it. If we didn't have warriors tanking the main boss there would be no purpose for their existence... much like Monks for the past decade. Paladins can tank just as well as Warriors, and they have full utility to do other things for the raid (splash healing, for example), but they need to be hands-on while tanking, and don't get the luxury of just walking away from the computer while tucked in a corner.
    Cadira likes this.
  19. Tucoh Augur

Fenthen is right. Warriors need a boost. Whatever is planned for an upgrade to shield splinter, double it! And make our auto attack dps higher!
    Fenthen likes this.
  20. The real Sandaormo Augur

Taking this in the funny way you must have intended. Poor old Warriors not good for anything need a boost in power to keep up with the awesomely tuned Knights. Thanks for the rallying call everyone. Lets get Warriors back to a level at least worth having on a raid.
    Fenthen likes this.