Why not an server with more in depth RPG mechanics?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cryomancer, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Cryomancer New Member

Eg :
    • Stats raised like skills and no "stat stickie" gear(gear should provide only magical effects)
    • More immunities in mobs - eg : No more Ignite blood igniting the blood of skeletons, specters, earth elementals and other bloodless creatures
    • Stat squish and lv cap = 60. All further expansions would be "squished" to lv 60.
    • Less merchants knowing "common" language.
    • Dropping inventory on death - Including caster's grimoires. Casters will stay only with the spells in his/her memory. Every spell in his spellbook would be lost till he gets his book back.
    • Classic coin weight back
    • More patrolling mobs in dungeons
    • (...)
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because that would be a different game and it would no longer be Everquest.
    yepmetoo, Skuz, Iyacc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Xeris Augur

4. FranktheBank Augur

The next TLP should be a World of Warcraft server, since we are just suggesting different games.
    Timmyboi likes this.
  5. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

As long as the jokers trump the ace.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's actually a drastic change at a very fundamental level and such large changes in established games are always a huge mistake, the amount of effort this would take to code would absolutely not be worth the return on investment because almost every player (presumably except you) would probably hate this change of direction in gameplay.
    We are talking "SWG CU" level of comparative flak here I expect.
    Yet another potentially very risky change to a core gameplay system with potentially devastating or at least complicated unforseen circumstances resulting.
    Look at how the "body type" changes wreaked multiple unexpected knock-on effects, what you suggest could be even more far-reaching in effects.
    WoW tried that the devs here had sense enough to see how that effort panned out over a longer time rather than just jumping on the latest idea bandwagon. Whether that would be good for EQ is up for debate but my own take is that it destroys the decades-spanning meta of being able to go back to old content & smash it for fun, for items you desired, to exercise that level-gained power advantage.
    Old content is old, it doesn't need to be "reinvigorated" or made relevant again to today's veteran's because they largely played the crap out of it a lot already, and on TLP servers that content IS relevant anyway at the levels it was originally designed for, it's already being re-used & arguably in a far better way than any stat squish would allow for.
    Why?
    All that does is increase the inconvenience which is to me a pretty stupid direction to move towards when there isn't a good well-thought out logical reason for doing that. Which you have neglected to provide us with.
    People have forgotten that removing this was how a large volume of dupe exploits were fixed, undoing that would be a remarkably bad idea in every way.
    Why do you hate monks so much?
    With EQ's often awful pathing system? no freaking thank you.

Seems to me you are looking to change stuff just for the sake of change rather than for some actual good reasons.
    code-zero and Duder like this.
  7. Koshk Augur

Time, money, and return on investment.
    Brildon and Skuz like this.
  8. Rauven Augur

Stats being static is a RPG mechanic. It was common in the RPGs that Everquest was based off of, that being Advanced Dungeons & Dragons by TSR.
    The amount of mobs that are utterly immune to my fire spells on my Druid and Poisons on my Necromancer shows there's quite a bit of this already. Undead are usually extremely resistant or outright immune to Disease spells as well.
    About the only thing that kinda makes sense, but not for RPG reasons and this isn't even a thing that should be limited to TLP.
    Why would they be merchants if they didn't speak a common tongue? In history merchants always established a common tongue. It used to be Latin at one point, now its English, for example. And this is how it works in 99% of RPGs as well.
    I don't think anyone wants this.
    A Third to Half of mobs in dungeons already patrol. If you're not seeing it, its because they are being killed before they can start. I just did several Shared Tasks in DoN on Mischief today where we had patrols spring on us (can't say I don't welcome the self-pulls:D ) . They're there already.
  9. Vlahkmaak Augur

If we are gonna have them spending time and effort to fundamentally change the game - just relaunch it in CryEngine or UnrealEngine - make it happen :)
  10. Lamar New Member

I mean...I would settle for 1 single new spell or AA line
  11. Tucoh Augur

There's a lot of variations of RPGs out there and "RPG" mechanics. Most RPG mechanics wouldn't be amenable to insertion into a TLP through typical TLP rules. Ultimately every player has a fixed "role" of being an adventurer who only kills things and sometimes follows linear quests to kill things. I literally can't come up with any good TLP rulesets that would facilitate making a TLP experience more RPG-like. The closest thing I could think of is something relating to making EQ more faction-based, ala Velious, which would probably be awful.

If you're looking for an MMO with strong RPG mechanics, there's a lot of stuff out there for you.
  12. Ranari Journeyman

Agreed. Redoing the stat system would be monumental imho.

This could be interesting, but all I see it doing is weakening casters overall.

The perception of inflation is something that affects all MMO's. As someone who played up until DoDH when it was live, I look at the gear now and it appears overwhelming due to EQ's multiple parallel stat systems. That said, if you make things too simplistic and you risk removing the creativity from gear selection. Make things overly complicated and you risk your player base "Noping" out of the selection altogether.

There is no perfect scenario here. Like I said, all MMO's suffer from the stat inflation perception issue, but live server DEFINITELY falls into the, "Wtf is this?" category.

This is a topic for another discussion, but TLP and Live are effectively two different games at this point. Also, TLP is a huge revenue source for Daybreak, so they're idiots if they don't capitalize on this. IF the goal for Daybreak is to streamline the process of getting players from TLP to Live, then the very best thing they can do is go back and correct all the broken content that acts as barriers in the way of that goal, and there are maaaaannnny. IF the goal for Daybreak is to branch the TLP era of the game into its own unique thing and run it akin to Diablo-like seasons where new content is added each season, they could absolutely do this and probably make a fortune off of it.

Remember, there's a reason (err, many reasons...) EQ went from 550k subscribers to today's 90k subscriber count, and it wasn't World of Warcraft. IF Daybreak does nothing, then they'll simply piss away the only chance they'll ever get to course-correct that shipwreck.

To earn more coin? Sell to a vendor in common and you make 2pp, but sell to them in Troll and you'll earn 4pp. That could muck with the economy a bit, but it's an interesting idea.

Agreed.

I'm not saying all his ideas are good, but not all ideas are necessarily bad ideas.

I'll say it again, this is a unique opportunity for Daybreak to recapture a lot of the lost audience. If they do nothing, then the chances of them recapturing that audience is absolute zero.
  13. jeskola pheerie

That doesn't sound like "more in-depth rpg mechanics", it sounds like "an alternate set of rpg mechanics I prefer".