VP key the current cancer of Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Yaboi, Aug 27, 2020.

1. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

As a person who, in the past, has been not so nice to people on these forums (yourself included) I feel that some people are having a rough time in their life and tend to lash out at others in an attempt to make themselves feel a little bit better in some way.

I regret some of things I have said to you in the past Risiko. I may not always agree with you on every point, but that was no excuse for my past actions or words. I am, as we all do, continuing to grow and learn as I age. I hope that my past responses to some of your posts can be forgiven. I am truly sorry.
    Risiko and Senlronia like this.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I agree. I support the concept of spirited debate but you are right. Rudeness has become the coin of the realm on these forums. I have a few theories on why that is.

Telling and encouraging people to "quit EQ if you don't like it" or "go find another game" is mean, divisive, and unhelpful and should be discouraged by the powers that be.
    Risiko likes this.
  3. Midnitewolf Augur

Yeah I agree. We actually kicked a person out of our guild who has been with us since the start over a key piece dispute. Also the core raider group that has been with us since the start is getting divided between the have and have nots. The people that have the time to camp pieces during off peak hours and/or throw krono at the problem are the haves, the people like me who can only play during prime time and can't pay 5kr for a single piece of the key are the have nots.

A prime example is our guild recently did a DKP night devoted to spawning picks and getting keys. When I heard this I was really excited because I thought it would help me actually get keyed, instead it turned into the have nots, helping the haves get their last few pieces. The justification was that the guild needed to get as many people able to raid VP as possible as soon as possible, so they needed to concentrate on those that were close to finishing to get the numbers up. I understand it and don't hold against the guild but for someone like me with just two pieces, it was pretty demoralizing.

I mean can see the writing on the wall. As soon as the numbers come up to raid VP, the guild will move the official DKP raids to VP and those who aren't keyed will get left behind. Further, right now it is all hands on deck to get as many people keyed as possible, but once the numbers are there, those people will be raiding VP, not helping those not keyed spawn picks and such. There are already people trying to organize lets call them incursions in VP with the 12-15 people who have keys. Again if they are doing this, they aren't helping the non-keyed get keyed.

Again not complaining about my guild at all but we are taking human psychology at work here. The division is happening and it is just going to get worse so yeah, there really needs to be something done about this. I really wish they would just do a hot fix this week but sadly I don't see this changing until perhaps a new TLP comes out next year.
    rangerous, Brontus and fptackle like this.
  4. Risiko Augur

It's all good. I don't take any of this too seriously, and when I do, I am over it the next day usually.

I'm not the poster child of good people in EverQuest. I have had my fair share (if not more) of in-game explosions that I truly wish I could take back. Each and every time, I have woke up the next day and been like, "What the hell was I thinking. Good Lord. Well I screwed that up."

I think in reality, everyone is highly fallible. I certainly fall in to that category. I just hope that in the end, everyone realizes that, and looks past the bad to see the good in one another.
    Brontus likes this.
  5. HekkHekkHekk Augur

This is the type of deep philosophy I enjoy tlps for.
  6. Brazy Augur

I thought you quit EQ. Didn't you make some post like goodbye forever? WB BUBBA
  7. Stymie Pendragon

Honestly, if they actually wanted to address this repeated complaint by the players, they would have done it by now.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with any sort of technical challenge. Agree or not, they have made a design decision, and are staying true to it. I don't agree with it, but /shrug.
  8. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

The same could have been said about the Vex Thal keying process up until a few months ago. Just because a change has not yet happened does not mean that it will never happen. I first asked for Aggro meters to be added to the UI on TLPs over 18 months ago. That change will go live next Wednesday. These things take time and constant pressure. I fully support changing the VP keying process to be more in line with the change that was made to the Vex Thal keying process.

Even though I will never play on another server where I will have to endure doing a VP key again, I feel it is what is best for the game and the community as a whole to remove the toxicity and time sink that is the VP keying process in its current state.
  9. Hrum New Member

Something tells me you're not a great person to be around.
  10. Brontus EQ Player Activist

You may be right on this. But at the very least, the devs should once and for all publicly explain their design philosophy to the players that have to endure this insanity each time Kunark is released on a TLP server.

Who knows? Maybe they too don't like the VP quest but for whatever reason, scheduling, funding, resources, etc. it has not been fixed.

In 2009 former EQ guild leader and Blizzard Game Director and VP, publicly admitted at a GDC conference that The Green Hills of Stranglethorn quest which he designed, was one of the worst quests ever included into WoW. He was not afraid to point out his shortcomings and past mistakes.That's an example of a dev that demonstrates accountability and leadership. Devs must never forget to walk in a mile in the player's shoes. By doing so, you become more empathetic to your customers and a better developer.

I would like to see some of the same frankness and transparency exhibited by Kaplan coming from from the current EQ dev team regarding content like the VP quest. The Veehsan's Peak quest has aged rather badly and is largely ridiculed by the current EQ community.
    Duder and Hrum like this.
  11. rangerous Elder

The VP key is the single worst part of the yearly TLP cycle bar none.

This answer is simple.

Have the trak tooth trigger the NPC rewarding the player the VP key.

Leave the medallions/quest text/everything as is for the old school questers who still like doing it (the few that remain) and optional for sane people.

All VP key is in current form is just a huge 3rd party program abuse quest.

Im in the top guild on the server and while we have keyed a lot of people we still wont have all the raid force keyed by wed which I believe is 4 weeks into an 8 week expansion. This means there isnt a guild on the entire server that will get their full raid force more than 3 runs thru VP in era.

I have loved these tlps but I will not participate in the VP key as is in the future. While I hope daybreak makes this change if they dont I will simply play servers that start post kunark. Strange thing to write as I have always held Kunark and PoP as my two favorite eras but enough is enough.
  12. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

A simple “Get bent, losers” would still be better than the lack of communication they’ve given regarding this topic so far.
    Hrum likes this.
  13. Overmedium New Member

I usually skip VP and just level alts and do easy quests like Epics until Luclin when I get serious... This time I am doing VP key on Yelinak and it only took a few minutes for the past to catch up to me and remind me that this is the absolute worst representation of what returning to EQ has to offer.

Combined with the most boring ruleset known to TLPs and an incredible increase in greed on the server, the lack of meaningful gameplay represented in sitting on a gray mob for hours or days or ground spawns for hours or days, I fear that if the next round of TLP's don't have an amazing ruleset, this might be the last one with a healthy population.
    Hrum likes this.