Why is SOLO exp nerfed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ShilohsDad, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Midnitewolf Augur

You can't always rely on a guild either. I am part of a large guild and more often than not I still end up in a PUG. Let's face facts, there are a ton of players who have been playing together on multiple TLPs for years and they tend to form very static groups that do everything together. That is probably the entire core of most guilds in the game at the moment. If your not part of the clique, you tend to still have to PUG. This isn't a complaint by the way, just a statement of fact.

As for Wiz, they bring a lot to a group it is just that most people are too blind to see it. Even if the Wiz has to med up and skip a couple pulls every once in a while, I can pretty much guarantee you wouldn't even have a chance to kill those mobs if the wiz hadn't annihilated the previous 4 mobs it participated on and reduced their kill time by 50% thus allowing you and the healer to actually pull more mobs than you would have otherwise.

The only disadvantages I can see to having a wiz in your group is in cases where you get a bad pull and it coincides with the Wiz being oom and not being able to burn down mobs fast enough to prevent a wipe. However, that can be said for many classes. I.E. Cleric being out of mana or a backup up healer, Sham/Druid, not saving mana for emergency heals if the Cleric goes down unexpectedly.
    Koshk likes this.
  2. AurumKHK New Member

I see, reading the posts here explains to me why I see people leveling like they do now. Even though its not nerfed, its just not competitive with how its done now. I did experience the situation of despite being in a decently sized guild and still not being able to get groups easily. It very much was a case of people grouping up with the players that they've met in previous TLPs, which is cool and all. There was also a mindset you desperately need certain classes or the group will be bad. It wasn't everywhere but I did run into it. I dont think thats the case though. Wizards might have it rough in that regard but most of my "off meta" groups did great.
  3. Vlorg Augur

true in classic where you 2-shot mob in lower guk.

not true in kunark where your sunstrike barely do 20% of a mob at kennel.

oh and, using rains in chardok is.... a rare occurence at best.
  4. Midnitewolf Augur

Ok let's use math. If you drop 1 sunstrike per mob and only one, you yourself says that it does 20% damage to a mob. That means that the Wizard has just increased the speed at which the group kills things by 20%. 2 casts and the kill time is reduced by 40% which is almost half the damage the entire party is doing in roughly 8 seconds flat.

Further, you reduced the mobs HP by 20% in roughly 3-4 second flat, i.e. the cast time of the spell. Is a Monk reducing the MoBs HP by 20% in 4 seconds? How about the Chanters Charm pet? How about anyone except maybe a Mage and that is only if he isn't getting resisted and his nukes hit for less and are less efficient meaning he has more down time than a Wiz.

Now lest analyze further. How many fights have you been in where it comes down to the wire, hell how many party wipes have you had where the last mob was down to less than 20% health? How many times could you have pulled your fat out of your fire if only you were able to burn down the mobs a tiny bit faster? Guess what? If you would have had a wiz in your party, you might have had a chance.

In summary, there is nothing wrong with a Wiz's ability to contribute to a party and DPS. Even if the Wiz only casts on one mob in 5, killing a mob that in 10 seconds is faster than killing it in 50 seconds without the Wiz's DPS on the other 4 MoBs STILL increases your party's overall kill efficiency by 20%, hell it would be almost like getting a free kill every 4 mobs.

The problem is, please can't seem to concept this. They see a Wiz sitting while they are fighting and say "Useless" rather than seeing it and saying "Great he is medding up so the party can kill things 20% faster...go Wiz!!!"
  5. Shemak Journeyman

XP doesnt work the same as it did back in the days, i heard things about an XP cap per mob or other stuff, but its been like this for a long time.
  6. Vlorg Augur

ok.

60 wiz, with epic click, greater conc pot, epic'd bard mana song, C2 = 53 mana per tic... pretty much optimal condition here.

which mean 7 tic of meditating for 1 rain of prexus, which mean 2500 ish damage every 42 second or 60 dps. This drop a lot if you cannot use rains ( which is most of the time, unless you enjoy breaking CC). This drop if you don't have the conditions mentionned above ( who pretty much never happens in a pre-60 XP group)

Now, feel free to go parse a 53 hasted charmed pet and see how much they do. or a non-epic'd monk. or a regular non-charmed necro/mage pet, or even your SK tank. And keep in mind those classes are also pulling / CC'ing / tanking / giga buffs...

oh btw, sunstrike is 7 second not 4, and while no... monk do not do 20% of a mob HP in 7 second, they certainly can in the 40+ second of med time the wizard need after.

not sure who you are trying to convince here.
  7. Nessirfiti Augur

God Suddenly I want to roll a druid and just root-rot my way to max level, No grouping, No rushing, just me, and my dots.
  8. Vecsus New Member

you just described me - to a T. I group up occasionally and attend nearly all of my guild's raids - but for the most part I'm a druid that loves root/rot. Lately a fair bit of charming dogs in Chardok near the zone in/out. If I see the Captain up or the Sgt holding a weapon I can root/rot him at his spawn and never agro any of his buddies.
  9. Appren Gnomercy

- themselves, probably.

Wizards are beyond awful in XP groups in classic-velious, the occasional situation where you MIGHT want a burn doesn't outweigh the fact that the necro/monk/mage (not even bothering to compare charm pet) over a long session will do 2-3 times more over all damage than most wizards in this era.
  10. Midnitewolf Augur

What you say changes nothing though. All you said is that a Wiz and a Monk offer the same DPS in the same time frame. Considering a monk is near the top in terms of a DPS class, so then is the Wiz. The difference between the Monk and Wiz is that the monk is likely pulling which means he isn't in camp DPS'ing in which case he is actually don't half the damage of a Wiz in those lets call it 47 seconds, because he is out pulling as often as he is DPS'ing.

Seriously, you make it crystal clear that the perceived issue of Wiz's not offering enough to the party cause they are OOM all the time, is just that, perceived. Other players "THINK" the Wiz sucks so they do, without any basis in reality.
  11. Midnitewolf Augur

Back on topic. Since I have been off debating Wiz DPS and have never really address the topic one thing that always bothered me about this post is what they heck does the OP mean about Solo XP being nerfed?

Is he talking about how in a cooperative game, designed to be played as a group, not solo, you get a bonus to XP if your part of a group?

If so all I can say is that it has been that way since the beginning, since....well you know, the game was designed to be a coop game where you need to group with other people to accomplish pretty much anything of importance. There has been no nerf to anything. Solo starts out with base XP given, then as you add more people to a party, you get bonus XP though to be honest, since that XP is divide 6 ways with weight toward each person's individual level, killing one of the same level mob solo vs group, the solo kill would generate more XP per person than the group kill. The big difference however is that a group can take on content much higher leveled than a solo player can so the group gets more XP per mob than a soloer, with less downtime between kills thus making grouping the more efficient path in a game designed for....wait for it.....GROUPING.

So back to the OP. Your soloing in a game designed for grouping. You can solo, sure, but this isn't WoW where virtually everything is handed to you as you level and you never have to group aside from raids. That game was designed for that type of play, EQ isn't. If you want WoW style or hell most modern MMO style soloing ability, EQ is not the game for you.
  12. Vlorg Augur

no, what I said is the monk offer several time more damage than the wiz in the same timeframe on top of pulling and tanking in a pinch.

you are hopeless. Good luck getting pity invites from your guild I suppose
  13. Kahna Augur

Honestly, in a group with a wizard and a monk the group is better off if the wizard loads up his level 1 nuke and a low level root and pulls. Let the monk stay in camp and DPS. If you have CC it doesn't really matter how many the wizzy brings in, just keep the mobs flowing. Will definitely increase the over all group DPS over having the monk pull and the wizard dps.
    Appren likes this.
  14. Fluid Augur

FWIW, solo experience isn't nerfed for anyone but the sock poopers and boxers on a technicality. Add in the time it takes to get to where a group that will take you in and the time looking for them in the first place and experience per hour is a wash depending on the character type. I frequently check how I'm doing level wise on new tlp's with a "/w all 5 10" for example and I can pretty much stay at or within a level or two of the highest characters. I can't stay up with the 24/7 crowd using Marketplace Potions to enhance everything they do. I need to sleep after 10-12 hours! :)

If you typically play for an hour, my advice would be try to group for maybe 5 minutes and if you don't find a group, start soloing.

I've had some particularly bad experiences grouping during the feeding frenzy that is TLP. People forming groups are just as desperate to add people as people are to get in them. I've been invited, accepted, run across half a dozen zones, only to be told when I got there "to late, another player was added". Just the way things work on a TLP. Same goes for sales in the Tunnel in that someone will offer to buy something, you'll spend half an hour getting there, and they found another seller who got there 2 minutes before you.

It may sound like I'm complaining and it's been about 2 years since I last started on a TLP server. Pretty happy with Rizlona. I'm am starting to feel the urge to get back to that pragmatism that is a new TLP server.
  15. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

A wizard with a TFlux staff offering to pull has a much greater chance to join a group and will probably contribute significantly more that way. Use roots/snares to break up your pulls if needed but most groups on TLP don't need you to baby bring in 1 mob at a time so monk FD isn't needed.

The problem is 99% of people that roll wizards have no intention or desire to pull in a group setting, they want to sit in the camp and watch Netflix/Phub on the other monitor and soak while justifying their spot by casting a rain every other pull.
    Appren likes this.
  16. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

As is tradition
  17. Midnitewolf Augur

No you didn't. You said a monk would do the same damage in 40 seconds as a Wiz would in 7 seconds. You also previously pointed out that one nuke can do 1/5 of the MoBs total health in damage and do it in a single 7 second cast. One spell cast per MoB means your time to kill with a Wiz in the group is reduced to 80%. That is a significant amount and it is delivered very, very quickly in a burst.

If that burst comes toward the end of the fight as we see it traditionally happens, you have ended the fight 20% faster than it would happened with Melees beating out those last 1800 HPs, this is time that the Mobs aren't beating on the tank which in turn means the healer is using 20% mana per kill than he would otherwise meaning the group can pull more before oom.

Further, the fact it is in a quick burst means you can move on to killing another mob 20% faster that you would without otherwise.

My point is that there is a ton of advantages to having a wizard in your party that very few people, including yourself seem to see. Rogue is the same way, tons of DPS that unlike with a Monk, stays concentrated on the mob whenever a mob is in camp to fight because he doesn't have a secondary job as a puller but for some reason, they are the last picked for a group every time. For the DPS slot in a group, you are absolutely not disadvantaged by taking a wizard and people fail to realize that for whatever odd reason.

As far as pity invites, well I don't play a Wiz myself but I know for a fact when your guild wizards do come out to play, there is usually competition for them to come join the party because we have worked together enough to know the value of being able to drop the big bomb and finish fights early.
  18. Kahna Augur

This is... not how DPS works. Whether the 20% dmg is done in one nuke at the end of the fight or over the length of the fight DPS is the damage you contributed divided by the duration of the fight. Monks are higher, more consistent, DPS than wizards. Therefore fights are ending faster with the monk than they would with the wizard.

Your 20% faster with one nuke analogy assume the melee replacing the wizard just what, stood around for the first 80% of the fight not attacking and then tried to do 1800 dmg at the end? No, the melee was doing that 1800 dmg and then some from the very start of the fight, while the wizard was sitting on their hands doing nothing. End result, fight ends 20% faster with a wizard, but 30% faster if you replaced that wizard with a DPS monk.
    Appren likes this.
  19. Vlorg Augur

Ok buddy. you seem to really believe in your delusions. Unfortunately after 23 years of data and optimization, the EQ community as a whole disagree.

Best of luck.
    Appren likes this.
  20. Quik Augur

Are wizzies resisted much anymore? I haven't really played one since original launch and I quit because of 10 nukes maybe 6-7 would land and of those 6-7 how many did full dmg? I got SO tired of seeing what should be a 3000dd hit for 850...

If they are not resisted now and the nukes are consistent then I am all for them, but if they are ANYTHING like classic was originally I will have to pass...

And I have seen the parses from some guild fights and our wizzie is parsing around the same as our main paladin over the entire fight so I'm not sure I would consider that truly impressive, but maybe they are watching too much netflix or something *shrug*