Was I in the wrong?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Quik, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Quik Augur

So I was on Yelinak Friday evening, after making my first toon on Thursday. I happen to have around 20 krono left from Aradune and I was looking to sell one to get some gear.

There were around 10 different people all looking to buy krono and offering 3600pp-3800pp.

I am not a huge trader, I tend to sell krono for what I can get the most from it for, but with all those people asking for the same price, I wasn't interested in just selling for that.

I put up an auction saying I was selling ONE krono for 4500pp or trade for GEB's plus 2300pp and I put it in auction a few times when I suddenly get a msg from another player telling me I need to stop trying to dictate the krono market and that I was going to screw up the game for the entire server.

I replied with "thanks, but it's my krono and I should be able to ask for whatever I want, and if no one pays it I can always drop the price".

Holy crap, I got FLOODED with messages from this guy saying he was going to destroy my reputation and ruin me so bad I would never get a group. He threatened to ruin my guild's reputation as well and swore he would stop at nothing if I didn't stop trying to ruin the server. He said he wouldn't let anyone screw this game like i was trying to do. I am not lying when I say I had about 50 lines of text all threatening to ruin me and my guild. He also threatened to ruin me if I reported him.

Not a single other person complained. I put him on ignore and reported him. I don't know if anything happened, but he has not been online since yesterday morning so maybe the dev's actually did something who knows.

I'm curious, was I being a complete jerk for asking for 4500pp for krono when 10+ people were offering 3600-3800? Sure, I was trying to get as much plat as I could out of it, but that's kind of the point and I want my krono to last. I don't farm camps to make krono, so I don't build a large supply. Usually it's enough to keep myself decently geared without having to fight over camps.

Oh, about 10 minutes after the incident I had someone buy my krono for the 4500pp and ask if I had more to sell which I thanked him but said none at this time.
    Dre. likes this.
  2. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I’m amazed by some of the hyper-neurotic personalities that this game seems to retain.
    Dre. likes this.
  3. Vulken9 Journeyman

There's a reason /ignore is in the game. Krono is worth whatever someone in-game is willing to pay or barter for it. You could have asked for 100K if you want, but be prepared to not have any buyers at that price point.

Besides, how do you know someone is not trying to influence the market by spamming the lower pp value from multiple accounts?
  4. error Augur

That's not even just a krono thing, I've had plenty of people go off on me over initial asking prices on stuff, stuff which usually sells for said asking price moments later. Thankfully with the bazaar you no longer have to directly interact with people like that.

People do try to manipulate krono prices using throwaway characters to spam fake wtb/wts prices though so people are more critical of it, but sending annoying tells is kind of pointless since if they're doing it maliciously they don't care and if they're not doing it maliciously they probably still don't care.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

I've actually had people send in-game emails to my trader toons (on a live server) saying things like "Why are you charging so much for X item?" or "You're never going to sell Y item at that price!".

These were off-line trader toons, mind you. :p
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Thez69 Elder

your gonna bump into some mental illness playing this game, wouldnt waste your time trying to analyze it
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

LOL ruin the server LOL
    Lineater likes this.
  8. Quik Augur

Yeah, as if me and my 20 krono could impact the server in some way...

Don't get me wrong, the guy was a and I hope he got banned for that crap, but I just nwated to kinda see how people looked at what went down. I really don't want people to look at me like I am a because I was asking for more krono then what people were offering for it.

I honestly don't think I did anything wrong, but if people were jumping on that side it would make me rethink how I sell things.

Normally I sell items in the game at whatever common market value is, I don't mark stuff up just because no one else has it. I also pay fair value and don't try to undervalue everything.

I mean, I don't feel a Withered Leather Tunic is worth 2krono right now, but I might offer 1krono simply because thats what I feel the value is. Am I a jerk if I put in auction that I am paying 1krono for the Withered Tunic? I know people don't have to sell for what I ask, but on the flip side, if someone is tired of trying to get a specific amount, maybe 1krono is enough for that item at that time.

My issue is that Kunark is just around the corner and all the stuff on the current market is going to plummet for the most part so I am sure as hell not overspending on things.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

You did the right thing. Forget about it.
    Dre., I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Nennius like this.
  10. sadre Augur

Byrdfillsinpuzzle.gif
  11. Lineater Augur

Butterfly Effect, bro. You set off a chain of events that is going to end with EQ going the way of Asheron’s Call.

Thanks a lot.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  12. Quik Augur

So I can claim to be the one that finally brought EQ to the end?!?! WoooO!!!!
    sadre likes this.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

I like to recommend them an online course in basic economics.
  14. Numiko Augur

I had a guy yell at me because I set my trader up in front of his in the bazaar, like I would block it so people can't find him? Trader was only a level 1 wood elf so was not even big!
  15. TheChosenOne Augur

You’re a big jerk

You can redeem yourself by selling me some krono for 1500pp each
  16. roth Augur

That other guy was being dumb. I don’t pretend to know the economy of my own (live) server, let alone yours, but I often see a fair disconnect between the WTB and WTS prices advertised in General. People *always* WTB at the lowest end of current market price, and similarly always WTS at the top end of current market price. It’s a standard bargaining tactic - give yourself some wiggle room to avoid selling for too little or buying for too much.

It only that, but they’re also hoping for people desperate enough for the Krono, or the plat, to take the WTB or WTS at face value, without haggling.

Trying to sell at a price higher than the WTB prices? Fair game.
  17. minimind The Village Idiot

I have a bias when it comes to the Krono market: I always assume that the angry people are trying to run a real-money business in EQ and that they're willing to get territorial to preserve their revenue flow. Through that biased lens, it sounds like he was trying to shame you to a lower price so he could buy your inventory and sell it higher.
  18. Midnitewolf Augur

You just got caught up in the real issue and that real issue is for a fact, there are teams of people who work to drive up the price of a Krono. I have experimented with it. You go to the Tunnel and all is quite, no one is buying or selling Krono. You auction WTB Krono 3500 and immediately after you auction, someone ALWAYS wants to buy Krono for 3600 or 3700. You then up your bid and almost inevitably someone will beat your bid by 100p. It is also almost always the exact same tunnel trolls outbidding you every time as well. Then either the original person caves and buys the Krono for like 4k cause he keeps getting outbid or someone else looking to buy Krono sees the bigs and "thinks" that Krono is actually worth 4k and buys in.

In your case, your just asking well above the real market value for Krono. This doesn't mean you won't find someone who will buy at your absurd prices because let's face it, there are whales out there that do not have the patience to wait in the tunnel seeking out Krono at real market value, it just means your prices are absurd based on the average market value.

The thing of it is, because of your advertisements to sell at an inflated price, you do indirectly contribute to the inflation of the cost of Krono. Unlike an AH or the stock market, there isn't some easy place to see the running total of what Krono is actually worth so every time someone sees 4500p, words is going to get out that Krono was selling for 4500p, even if the seller wasn't actually able to sell at that price. Just the fact someone is advertising it, will eventually lure people into paying more for Krono, i.e. Krono actual value is 3800 but because they are seeing Krono being sold at 4500, buying at 4200 means they got a stellar deal and thus Krono spirals upward out of control and all reason.

Some may call it supply and demand but it is really is really preying on player psychology and subtle market manipulation. This is why people get mad.

Anyway, you did nothing wrong except asking way too much for what you were offering. Fortunately you found someone who didn't care about that and took you up on the offer though you indirectly contributed to inflating the price of Krono. Still that isn't your problem if your just legitimately asking for an absurd price. As long as your not faking sell and buy offers, to inflate the prices, finding chumps willing to pay more than your items is worth, is just good salesmanship.
    Critt likes this.
  19. Critt Augur

all that wtb wts shows on tlpauctions site average krono price, and many players take that as gospel. That's really how the manipulation works.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

Yes you were in the wrong,
    Your not usually a trader/buyer, so your kronos are suppose to goto someone who is a usual buyer.
    You selling at that price skips them and go for the seller value.

You don't let the buyer resell for the seller value, so your in the wrong. He has every right to be angry because he is spending his valuable time buying and selling. Your encroaching on his territory, it's already camped.